HBO’s New Direction and Prequel News

Westeros

An interesting set of reports from yesterday touch on HBO’s future and the future of Game of Thrones.

First, the Belfast Telegraph reports that allegedly staff at Paint Hall—the massive studio space used by Game of Thrones as its main base of operations for all of its seasons—have been told that the prequel pilot ordered back in June will begin filming this October.

Suffice it to say, if true, this is a very fast production path by HBO standards. By way of comparison, the original Game of Thrones pilot was ordered in November 2008 but filming did not begin until October 2009—almost a full year after. And Damon Lindelof’s Watchmen show had a pilot order in September, and began filming in May, eight months later.

If the Telegraph’s report is accurate, it’ll just be four months from pilot order to pilot shoot. But it’s important to stress that caveat—it’s entirely possible that October will see the beginnings of pre-production, such as set building, location scouting, and costuming, rather than actual filming. What can it mean, however, if this tight deadline really is true?

We have two thoughts on it.

read on >>>

View the full article

5 hours ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

It seems that HBO hopes to strike while the iron is hot.  I'm not sure that bodes well although in the interest of full disclosure I really don't think I'll be watching no matter what.

You seem to post a lot about disinterest in something.

The reason for the fast production (from what I was reading) was that AT&T (the new owner of HBO) basically want HBO to be like Netflix and pump out content. Hopefully HBO can still produce amazing content but IDK if it will be able to anymore.... I hope I am wrong.

Article about it: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/changes-afoot-for-hbo-under-atts-new-reign-2018-07-08

I think HBO could produce more content, without it being a big deal, but not at the scale of Netflix. Someone should remind ATT execs what happened to the golden goose. 

A reasonable amount of new content would be something like 2 more hour-long dramas per year and 3-4 half-hour comedies. Presumably, they could get more involved in licensing foreign-language content as well. 

I think they should be very careful about producing too much GoT content. Of course, it's hard to say how much is "too much". Again, one is reminded of the golden goose. 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:46 PM, Pecan said:

I think HBO could produce more content, without it being a big deal, but not at the scale of Netflix. Someone should remind ATT execs what happened to the golden goose. 

A reasonable amount of new content would be something like 2 more hour-long dramas per year and 3-4 half-hour comedies. Presumably, they could get more involved in licensing foreign-language content as well. 

I think they should be very careful about producing too much GoT content. Of course, it's hard to say how much is "too much". Again, one is reminded of the golden goose. 

Agreed about the Golden Goose.

I think the only ASoIaF content that they should go on to absolutely produce (because they will be huge hits) should be the Dance of Dragons and Nymeria's War,

Adventures of Dunk and Egg are possibilities.

Archived