Primetime Emmy Awards 2018

Mladen

Here we go again... The summer came and with it the end of television season. And that means, time for Emmy awards. "Game of Thrones" returns after missing last year due to ineligibility. We'll see how it will bode against new favorite "The Handmaid's Tale". Acting categories in Drama are absurdly stacked. Nominations will be read on July, 12th. By that time, you can discuss who deserves the awards. Throughout the summer there will be regular updates...

For those interested, Game of Thrones acting Emmy submissions:

Spoiler

Drama Actress: Emilia Clarke
Drama Actor: Kit Harington
Drama Supporting Actress: Lena Headey, Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams
Drama Supporting Actor: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Peter Dinklage
Drama Guest Actress: Diana Rigg

PRIMETIME EMMY NOMINATIONS 

Spoiler

Lead Actor in a Limited Series or Movie:

Antonio Banderas (“Genius: Picasso”)
Darren Criss (“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”)
Benedict Cumberbatch (“Patrick Melrose”)
Jeff Daniels (“The Looming Tower”)
John Legend (“Jesus Christ Superstar”)
Jesse Plemons (“USS Callister”)

Lead Actress in a Limited Series or Movie:

Laura Dern (“The Tale”)
Jessica Biel (“The Sinner”)
Michelle Dockery (“Godless”)
Edie Falco (“The Menendez Murders”)
Regina King (“Seven Seconds”)
Sarah Paulson (“American Horror Story: Cult”)

Lead Actor in a Comedy Series:

Donald Glover (“Atlanta”)
Bill Hader (“Barry”)
Anthony Anderson (“Black-ish”)
William H. Macy (“Shameless”)
Larry David (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”)
Ted Danson (“The Good Place”)

Lead Actress in a Comedy Series:

Pamela Adlon (“Better Things”)
Rachel Brosnahan (“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”)
Tracee Ellis Ross (“Black-ish”)
Allison Janney (“Mom”)
Lily Tomlin (“Grace and Frankie”)
Issa Rae (“Insecure”)

Lead Actor in a Drama Series:

Jason Bateman (“Ozark”)
Sterling K. Brown (“This Is Us”)
Ed Harris (“Westworld”)
Matthew Rhys (“The Americans”)
Milo Ventimiglia (“This Is Us”)
Jeffrey Wright (“Westworld”)

Lead Actress in a Drama Series:

Claire Foy (“The Crown”)
Tatiana Maslany (“Orphan Black”)
Elisabeth Moss (“The Handmaid’s Tale”)
Sandra Oh (“Killing Eve”)
Keri Russell (“The Americans”)
Evan Rachel Wood (“Westworld”)

Reality Competition

“The Amazing Race”
“American Ninja Warrior”
“Project Runway”
“RuPaul’s Drag Race”
“Top Chef”
“The Voice”

Variety Sketch Series

“Saturday Night Live” (NBC)
“Portlandia” (IFC)
“Drunk History” (Comedy Central)
“Tracey Ullman’s Show” (HBO)
“At Home with Amy Sedaris” (TruTV)
“I Love You, America” (Hulu)

Variety Talk Series

“The Daily Show With Trevor Noah”
“Full Frontal With Samantha Bee”
“Jimmy Kimmel Live”
“Last Week Tonight with John Oliver”
“Late Late Show with James Corden Late Show with Stephen Colbert”

Limited Series

“The Alienist”
“The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”
“Genius: Picasso”
“Godless”
“Patrick Melrose”

Comedy Series

“Atlanta” (FX)
“Barry” (HBO)
“Black-ish” (ABC)
“Curb Your Enthusiasm” (HBO)
“GLOW” (Netflix)
“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” (Amazon)
“Silicon Valley” (HBO)
“The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” (Netflix)

Drama Series

“The Handmaid’s Tale”
“Game of Thrones”
“This Is Us”
“The Crown”
“The Americans”
“Stranger Things”
“Westworld”

THE REST OF NOMINEES ARE ON THIS LIST

Don't have much to say on the acting categories, I'm sure there were some misses and surprises. David Harbour got nominated for Stranger Things, too bad the kid who plays Will wasn't. 

In the music category, Ramin Djawadi once again deservedly got nominated for GoT, and also for Westworld. This is the first Emmys, I believe, where GoT and Westworld are together, and they look to be going head to head in many categories (along with other shows, of course)

Pleasantly surprised to see Kevin Kiner recognized for the music in Star Wars Rebels; he did do a wonderful job.

Interesting list in the visual effects category: HBO v. Netflix (GoT, Westworld, Stranger Things, Altered Carbon, Lost in Space)

No real surprises there’s. Glad to see a little love for Godless and hell yes I am glad that Tatiana wasn’t forgotten, given the awkward timing of Orphan Black. Happy to see GLOW nominated too (worth point8ng out this will be for S1). For me the comedy race is most difficult to call this year. Series wise I want either GLOW or Marvellous Mrs Maisel to win, but acting I can’t guess. And as always, the actresses (drama and comedy) are all so incredibly talented I couldn’t begin to guess. With actors I have my favourites, mostly, although Jeffrey Wright and Ed Harris have thrown a spanner in the works now.

Is Children’s show a new category?

all that being said, here is my obligatory “she/they were snubbed” part of the post. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. So deserving of all the accolades, all the cast, and the crew (Really they deserve recognition for the writing if nothing else). 

But Rachel Bloom in particular...the work this woman throws into the show and her absolutely masterful performance. Humph. Whatever. She doesn’t care about award shows anyway

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Russel and Rhys better fucking win (they won’t) 

I am glad that they got nominated. I am saddened that Noah Emmerich didn't get a nomination, but hey... Rhys has a better chance of winning. Russell is in impossibly difficult category, with Foy and Moss being the front-runners. And given the amount of acting noms for The Handmaid's Tale, I think this one will go to Moss.

Rhys is another story. I see voters choosing him as the consolation price for "The Americans"

I was thrilled to have seen the finale episode "Start" getting the writing nomination.

12 minutes ago, Risto said:

I am glad that they got nominated. I am saddened that Noah Emmerich didn't get a nomination, but hey... Rhys has a better chance of winning. Russell is in impossibly difficult category, with Foy and Moss being the front-runners. And given the amount of acting noms for The Handmaid's Tale, I think this one will go to Moss.

Rhys is another story. I see voters choosing him as the consolation price for "The Americans"

I was thrilled to have seen the finale episode "Start" getting the writing nomination.

Complete fantasy to expect it to happen but personally I think The Americans deserves Best Drama. Much as I loved Westworld and Stranger Things its way beyond any of the other nominees in terms of writing, acting, direction...all around it’s just far superior. 

Of course that doesn’t matter and the award will probably go to The Crown or something.

I agree that Russell, as ever, has the more difficult field to contend against, and I think it’s difficult to call. Same with supporting actress, and that’s without even considering THT as I’m not caught up yet.

Comedy I am in a similar predicament (since my favourite WAS SNUBBED, LOSERS!) *cough* erm, what I mean is there’s such a high calibre of nominees this year!

5 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Of course that doesn’t matter and the award will probably go to The Crown or something.

"The Handmaid's tale". They ruled the most important categories and with amazing finale that have just aired... It's theirs to lose.

7 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Complete fantasy to expect it to happen but personally I think The Americans deserves Best Drama.

Unfortunately this is rarely about "deserving". I would love to see Rhys winning and wins in writing and Best Drama. But, realistically, it is not likely. Although, they sometimes do surprise us. As Maslany getting nom, for instance. I was afraid they have forgotten her.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

all that being said, here is my obligatory “she/they were snubbed” part of the post. Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. So deserving of all the accolades, all the cast, and the crew (Really they deserve recognition for the writing if nothing else). 

But Rachel Bloom in particular...the work this woman throws into the show and her absolutely masterful performance. Humph. Whatever. She doesn’t care about award shows anyway

Seriously. What does the woman have to do to deserve at least a nomination?

I don't understand one thing ... in the previous seasons, I read somewhere that they must agree only on one song to submit for the music category, but how come? There seems to be a category that covers Outstanding Music Composition For A Series (Original Dramatic Score) - 2018 (it is here) - is that only the score for one episode of a show? Because I cannot think of a series that uses music in a better, more varied way than CXG does throughout the whole season (but then I admit I don't watch that many current series).

Wait, not even a nomination for any lyrics/music? Snubbed, I agree.

I don't follow many other shows, but I was really rooting for that one. Pity.

*sad HONK HONK*

ETA: Here is some more of that not-caring about award shows. :D

WAs just reading the bbc America write up on their nominations and found it a bit sad TiVo discover Sandra Oh is the first woman of Asian descent to be nominated for lead actress. That’s really quite sad to think about

4 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

WAs just reading the bbc America write up on their nominations and found it a bit sad TiVo discover Sandra Oh is the first woman of Asian descent to be nominated for lead actress. That’s really quite sad to think about

Yes. She has been nominated as Supporting Actress in Drama several times for "Grey's anatomy" but this is the first time she got the Lead nomination. On the other hand, producers and directors of the Best Drama- nominated TV shows are almost all white men. Also, no young men in Best Lead Actor in Drama Series, which really caused some talk. 

The thing is that these awards are getting more and more prestigious as the number of things nominated doesn't rise, but the program does. It is not same when you have 50 TV shows and 200. Unfortunately, that means that these awards will always be somewhat myopic to certain TV shows, especially nowadays with the popular vote. 

I was truly happy to have heard Sandra Oh's name. Yes, Jodie Comer also have deserved the nomination, as well as many others, but as I said, it is getting tougher and tougher. To win an Emmy, or Oscar, you truly have to be amazing. Amazingly great, or amazingly happy. 

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It is. I figured Ming Na Wen would have been at least nominated once for something.

• 1 month later...

2018 CREATIVE ARTS EMMY'S WINNERS

TV movie: “USS Callister: Black Mirror”

Guest actor in a comedy series: Katt Williams, “Atlanta”

Cinematography for a single-camera series (one hour): Adriano Goldman, “The Crown”

Cinematography for a single-camera series (half-hour): Christian Sprenger, “Atlanta”

Hairstyling for a single-camera series: “Westworld”

Makeup for a single-camera series (non-prosthetic): “Westworld”

Children’s program: “The Magical Wand Chase: A Sesame Street Special”

Contemporary costumes: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”

Creative achievement in interactive media within a scripted program: “Westworld,” “Chaos Takes Control Interactive Experience.”

Original interactive program: “NASA JPL: Cassini’s Grand Finale”

Single-camera picture editing for a drama series: “The Handmaid’s Tale”

Single-camera picture editing for a limited series or movie: “Black Mirror: USS Callister”

Sound editing for limited series, movie or special: “Black Mirror: USS Callister”

Guest actress in a drama series: Samira Wiley, “The Handmaid’s Tale”

Sound editing for a comedy or drama series (half-hour) and animation: “Atlanta”

Sound mixing for a comedy or drama series (half-hour) and animation: “Barry”

Sound mixing for a comedy or drama series (one hour): “Game of Thrones”

Sound editing for a comedy or drama (one hour): “Stranger Things”

Production design for a narrative program (half-hour or less): “GLOW”

Production design for narrative contemporary program: “The Handmaid’s Tale”

Production design for a narrative for a narrative period or fantasy program: “Game of Thrones”

Fantasy/sci-fi costumes: “Game of Thrones”

Music supervision: Robin Urdang, Amy Sherman-Palladino, Dan Palladino, “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

Stunt coordination for a comedy series or variety program: “GLOW”

Stunt coordination for a drama series, limited series or movie: Rowley Irlam, “Game of Thrones”

Guest actor in a drama series: Ron Cephas Jones, “This Is Us”

Music composition for a limited series, movie or special (original dramatic score): Cyril Aufort, “March of the Penguins 2: The Next Step”

Music composition for a series (original dramatic score): Ramin Djawadi, “Game of Thrones”

Main title design: “Counterpart”

Original main title theme music: Carlos, Rafael Rivera, “Godless”

Special visual effects in a supporting role: “The Alienist”

Special visual effects: “Game of Thrones”

Prosthetic makeup for a limited series, movie or special: “Game of Thrones”

Period costumes: “The Crown”

Cinematography for a multi-camera series: Gary Baum, “Will & Grace”

Multi-camera picture editing for a comedy series: “Will & Grace”

Single-camera picture editing for a comedy series: “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

Guest actress in a comedy series: Tiffany Haddish, “Saturday Night Live”

Actress in a short-form comedy or drama series: Christina Pickles, “Break a Hip.”

Actor in a short-form comedy or drama series: James Corden, “James Corden’s Next James Corden”

Short-form comedy or drama series: “James Corden’s Next James Corden”

Commercial: “The Talk,” P&G, “My Black is Beautiful”

Cinematography for a limited series or movie: Mathias Herndl, “Genius: Picasso”

Hairstyling for a limited series or movie: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”

Makeup for a limited series or movie, non-prosthetic: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”

Sound mixing for a limited series or movie: “Genius: Picasso”

Animated program: “Rick and Morty: Pickle Rick”

Short-form animated program: “Robot Chicken”

Voice-over performance: Alex Borstein, “Family Guy”

Casting for a comedy series: “The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”

Casting for a limited series: “The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story”

Casting for a drama series: “The Crown”

So, regarding Thrones, a win for Djawadi and a loss for Rigg. It is bittersweet, indeed. Even though some of QoT lines never made much sense to me, Dame Rigg certainly deserved an award for her final episode. That said, if she failed to win, Headey and Coster-Waldau will have even lesser chance of winning. 

I am also happy for Nina Gold, getting best casting award for "The Crown". And I am all for "The Marvelous Mrs Maisel" sweeping the awards... Next week, the ceremony... It will be really interesting to see what will "Game of Thrones" win. Given the exclusion from Acting branch, most precursors talking about "The Americans" getting Writing, "Game of Thrones" may end with only one or two awards next Sunday. One of them being the biggest one.

Archived