U.S. Politics: Kraving for Kavanaugh

lokisnow

Yep. This is the scary map:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_state_legislatures#/media/File:US_state_Legislature_and_Governor_Control.svg

From that map there are precisely SEVEN states under full Dem control. And 16 states that are mixed. Meaning that you would need a total of only 11 more states to flip completely. Is it hard to imagine Montana, New Mexico, Louisiana, North Carolina, Virginia, Maine, Minnesota, Maryland, Alaska all going? It'd then only take Colorado, Nevada, Vermont or Pennsylvania to flip.

That doesn't seem all that unrealistic to me. 

30 minutes ago, Mexal said:

This is a huge deal. Trump just ordered that all Administrative Law Judges are political appointees and can be fired for whatever they want. This includes immigration judges. 

And “It could never happen here” takes another body blow.

41 minutes ago, Mexal said:

This is a huge deal. Trump just ordered that all Administrative Law Judges are political appointees and can be fired for whatever they want. This includes immigration judges. 

That’s a load of crap.  They aren’t “article III” judges but they sure as hell aren’t “political appointees”.

41 minutes ago, Mexal said:

[low whistle]

11 minutes ago, Scott de Montevideo! said:

This should be impeachable.  It is a pure power grab.

It's almost like... GASP! one of the parties is openly fascist!

Who could have seen such a thing coming!?!

Trump’s Office of Refugee Resettlement Is Budgeting for a Surge in Child Separations

The agency is planning to move funds for refugees and HIV/AIDS patients to cover the possible costs.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/trumps-office-of-refugee-resettlement-is-budgeting-for-a-surge-in-child-separations.html

The Office of Refugee Resettlement is preparing for the possibility of another surge in family separations. Internal documents obtained by Slate show that ORR has modeled a scenario in which the Trump administration’s border policies could require the detention of thousands more immigrant children.

Asylum Seeker Says ICE Agent Told Her ‘We Hate You People’

https://www.thedailybeast.com/ice-agents-told-asylum-seekers-we-hate-you-people?ref=home

A woman seeking asylum alleges in court documents that Immigration and Customs Enforcement officers asked her “Why did you come from your country?” and “Don’t you know that we hate you people?” Gladys Monroy-Guerra de Tesucum said agents made these remarks after she and her children escaped her abusive cousin in Guatemala. “We don’t want you in our country,” one of the ICE officers told her, she said. 

6 hours ago, Frog Eater said:

Today in manufactured outrage from the left: 

The Womens March is opposed to the Supreme Court Nominee Dos Equis. 

What is your point here?

Why wouldn't people on the left be opposed to somebody like Kavanaugh?

3 hours ago, La Albearceleste said:

Clearly, what Frog Eater is saying is that the reasonable response is to do what Republicans did last time there was a Supreme Court vacancy, which was to carefully consider the merits of each candidate purely on the basis of their eminent legal scholarship before wait, I think I have this wrong.

I think this another case of the conservative that thought they made a point, but didn't.

3 hours ago, Rippounet said:

That article does a great job of explaining why liberals should oppose Kavanaugh as much as possible. What are you trying to say??

Nobody knows. Nobody.

22 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

It's almost like... GASP! one of the parties is openly fascist!

Who could have seen such a thing coming!?!

And he’s doing this under the cover of his SCOTUS nomination.  This has the potential to cement his control of the federal bureaucracy. It is bigger than the SCOTUS in my view.

3 hours ago, Frog Eater said:

You mean like when Elena Kagan was put on the court, despite having never served as a judge? Yes, the Democrats surely weighed her merits, while they turned a blind eye to her ties to the Obama White House. 

Yeah, because Elena Kagan was just some random person Obama met on the street and Obama was like, "Hey you want to be a supreme court judge?' And she was like "sure sounds fun, even though I know nuthin about legally stuff and judgin' stuff."

She may not have been a judge. But, that doesn't mean she wasn't qualified.

49 minutes ago, Scott de Montevideo! said:

This should be impeachable.  It is a pure power grab.

As I said, believing judges are non partisan is a myth that will inflict harm, that is designed to inflict harm. See, republicans live in a system that doesn’t believe this myth and they have a lot more power because of it.

3 hours ago, Frog Eater said:

At least with Kavanaugh, I believe that he will weigh the cases that come before him on their merits, and not trying to be an activist judge. 

Conservatives don’t do judicial activism.

Yeah, I’m not buying this. Seems like conservatives being real legends in their own minds, again.

I do in fact recall,  before FDR was able to make appointments to the court, that Oliver Wendell Homes made the remark that “ The Fourteenth Amendment  does not enact Mr. Herbert Spencer’s Social Statistics..”

Judicial activism seems like a fine conservative tradition.

16 minutes ago, Scott de Montevideo! said:

And he’s doing this under the cover of his SCOTUS nomination.  This has the potential to cement his control of the federal bureaucracy. It is bigger than the SCOTUS in my view.

Modern day republicans would naturally be opposed to Chester Arthur’s reform of the civil service and would desire to roll back those reforms.

many pundits have said trump governs like a 19th century president, this is just the clearest indication that they are precisely, presciently correct.

11 hours ago, Frog Eater said:

Judicial activism refers to judicial rulings that are suspected of being based on personal opinion, rather than on existing law. It is sometimes used as an antonym of judicial restraint. The definition of judicial activism and the specific decisions that are activist are controversial political issues.

Which is an example of judicial activism?

Case Example: Roe v. Wade. There are significant U.S. Supreme Court decisions that are believed to be examples of judicial activism. One good example is Roe v. Wade. ... The majority of the Supreme Court decided that an individual's right to privacy includes the right to have an abortion.

I’ve mentioned this before, but I think my favorite example of conservatives pointing fingers at liberal judicial activism, while their own engage in some nightly suspect reasoning, has to be Scalia’s opinion in Raich v. California.

It would seem that the only operational principle that Scalia has regarding commerce clause cases was:

1. Will hippies go to jai! Yippy! If hippies will go to jail, then I’m all about a strong commerce clause.

2. If hippies aren’t not going to jail, then I don’t care about a strong commerce clause.

7 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

As I said, believing judges are non partisan is a myth that will inflict harm, that is designed to inflict harm. See, republicans live in a system that doesn’t believe this myth and they have a lot more power because of it.

No. More than that. Republicans are living in a system where they chose the judges because they are partisan.

Archived