U.S. Politics: Kraving for Kavanaugh

lokisnow

2 hours ago, Scott de Montevideo! said:

Nah, Baron Vlad was actually pretty subtle beneath his bravo... He was just beaten by the ultimate mentat who would see even deeper than he could.  Trump is no Baron Harkonnen.

Agree, and the Russian Bear humping 45 float may be 6 months old, but it is even funnier to me now as 45 trots off to Finland to have his private meeting with the Russian Bea....I mean Putin. 

12 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

The better question is, how can you possibly not support an action  that could punish people for going to rallies and protests covered in masks, body armor and carrying batons, and then being violent thugs.

All those in bold are protected by the first amendment AND are not in and of themselves calls to or act of violence, that is how I cannot support an action that would punish them.

I am, in general against acts of violence, but that point of views wavers more and more each day.

12 minutes ago, Scott de Montevideo! said:

Because it is a Bill of Attainder.  And Congress doesn't have the power to create those.

Does the penalty being written into the law make it a Bill of Attainder?

4 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

All those in bold are protected by the first amendment AND are not in and of themselves calls to or act of violence, that is how I cannot support an action that would punish them.

I am, in general against acts of violence, but that point of views wavers more and more each day.

Protesting in masks with batons = bad.

Open carry protesting while waving around AR-15s = good.

:dunno:

5 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Maybe you missed the bolded part in the following:

Under the act, anyone “wearing a mask” or in disguise who “injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates any person … in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege” would be subject to a fine or up to 15 years in prison.

23 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

The better question is, how can you possibly not support an action  that could punish people for going to rallies and protests covered in masks, body armor and carrying batons, and then being violent thugs.

Except for the masks that all applies much more to the right wing Nazis than Antifa. Glad to see you finally side against fascists,hopefully you’ll continue to do so.

2 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Those are especially vague terms.  Define oppresses?  Define intimidates?

Are you intimidated just by the act of someone wearing a mask and protesting?  Is blocking a street oppressive?  How about the entrance to a building?

This law is horrible.

1 minute ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Except for the masks that all applies much more to the right wing Nazis than Antifa. Glad to see you finally side against fascists,hopefully you’ll continue to do so.

Nah, Nazis like to carry AR-15s.  But batons and masks are scary....  Right wing logic.

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Nah, Nazis like to carry AR-15s.  But batons and masks are scary....  Right wing logic.

Not to mention that they also go to their marches with homemade riot police style shields and batons, (and have been convicted of severely beating people with said batons) so I guess it’s just wearing masks or bandannas or big sunglasses that makes it so scary and “terrorism”.

Who knew such mundane objects could provoke such fear?

11 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

Uhhhh the KKK traditionally wears masks as part of their uniform, so this would make your beloved organization equally illegal, so I’m sure you don’t want that!

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I am officially calling an end to the Dem bashing with no rational reason.  Is the actual Democratic Party stupid?  You bet!  Does that matter for GOP voters?  You bet not!  So get the fuck over it.  

Challenge Accepted!

17 minutes ago, SweetPea said:

You Americans are nuts. I’d have a heart attack if Zi was in Starbucks and a guy walked in with a an AR-15, which these fuckers love to do, just to demonstrate their rught to open carry.

As if that wasn’t a ‘threat’ or ‘intimidation’. 

Did any of you actually read the article?  The bill states that anyone wearing a mask and engaging in certain activities would be subject to arrest.  Now maybe you don’t like the bill because you think people from your “side” are more likely to engage in said activities.  I know you guys like to deal in hyperbole and paranoia, but maybe you should dial it back a tad.

5 minutes ago, Paladin of Ice said:

I've always sided against fascists. That's why I'm against Antifa. Glad you agree.

3 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Uhhhh the KKK traditionally wears masks as part of their uniform, so this would make your beloved organization equally illegal, so I’m sure you don’t want that!

Was this supposed to be a joke? I really can't tell.

Just now, King Ned Stark said:

Did any of you actually read the article?  The bill states that anyone wearing a mask and engaging in certain activities would be subject to arrest.  Now maybe you don’t like the bill because you think people from your “side” are more likely to engage in said activities.  I know you guys like to deal in hyperbole and paranoia, but maybe you should dial it back a tad.

If it isn't a Bill of Attainder it is a clear violation of the first amendment.  These people may dress as they please.  Attempting to make certain styles of dress illegal in public... is government action inhibiting freedom of expression.

4 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

why do you think he loves the KKK?

The fucking KKK is irrelevant, its a boogeyman 

If the KKK  “injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates any person … in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege” then they would deserve the same treatment under the law. But I havent seen the KKK throwing bottles of piss, rocks and firecrackers at a group or march while hiding behind a mask.  

3 minutes ago, Scott de Montevideo! said:

If it isn't a Bill of Attainder it is a clear violation of the first amendment.  These people may dress as they please.  Attempting to make certain styles of dress illegal in public... is government action inhibiting freedom of expression.

Exactly!  There are already laws on the books in EVERY state against acts of violence, why do we need more? 

Archived