U.S. Politics: Kraving for Kavanaugh

lokisnow

I just saw, on CBC news that Stormy Daniels was arrested for letting a patron at a strip club touch her. Apparently this is a misdemeanor charge. She was on video being led away in handcuffs. No word on the guy who touched her

I am so glad we are being protected from strippers. 

That was irony. Americans are so silly about sex. 

14 minutes ago, maarsen said:

I just saw, on CBC news that Stormy Daniels was arrested for letting a patron at a strip club touch her. Apparently this is a misdemeanor charge. She was on video being led away in handcuffs. No word on the guy who touched her

While Americans undoubtedly have stupid and self-contradictory views on sex, this is undoubtedly a political move. Ohio law does forbid strippers to touch patrons, but this smacks of retribution for her non-dancing activity.

9 hours ago, DMC said:

Also, @chiKanery et al., this is why I find your argument especially ironic.  You complain about the Dems not playing hard ball while simultaneously bemoaning the repercussions of packing the court.  The latter is exactly what hardball looks like.

It's a dumb form of it though. You're a smart guy, game out what happens if Democrats gain unilateral control of the government and try to pack the court. Republicans will quickly regain control and do the same, albeit in a much more extreme fashion, and then they'll crack down on a number of things that will make it next to impossible for Democrats to regain power. 

Hell, running on a platform of packing the courts very well could lead to.....Trump packing the courts.

I have no doubt that it was a political move. The question is who initiated the touching.  Ms. Daniels has worked as a stripper for a bit and is aware of the rules according their lawyer. Someone is trying really hard to punish her. 

I keep waiting for Trump to be led away in handcuffs for groping, but it seems only women get punished for this kind of stuff. 

6 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

While Americans undoubtedly have stupid and self-contradictory views on sex, this is undoubtedly a political move. Ohio law does forbid strippers to touch patrons, but this smacks of retribution for her non-dancing activity.

I think this can be chalked up to "cops being dicks" charges

her lawyer will get this dismissed, but this means we all have to hear about Stormy Daniels for another week. 

24 minutes ago, maarsen said:

It was an undercover female officer. She asked if she could put her face in Daniel's breasts. Then multiple officers arrested her. It was a targeted sting operation. 

Meanwhile, Columbus, Ohio has an unusually high murder rate. Seems like a great use of public resources if you ask me.....

5 hours ago, Serious Callers Only said:

As someone who worked in counter intelligence, that article is a textbook example of how compromising someone works.  It is rarely ever just the one "big" event.  It normally starts small, asking for little things here and there, giving more than what is asked for, and it eventually grows and some people even continue to engage in compromising behavior (bonus!).  Eventually, all those little things add up, the money taken becomes a necessity to the chump, and without having realized it, the chump is so far in he has no way out.

Some might think this sounds a little far fetched.  How could they possibly know who to work on to try and compromise? It's a little like being a horse trainer.  You have a large stable full of horses, all picked for certain traits.  As time goes on, maybe a 1/3 of those horses are showing a lot more promise, so you concentrate on them.  More time passes, and maybe only half of that 1/3 is now getting your focus and resources.  It could be that none of your horses ever wins one of the main derbies, or maybe one of them wins the triple crown.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I could care less about his finances. I wish they'd focus on his speeches and rulings. That's what really matters.

True, but those in power actually like those aspects.

It's the bean counters that sent Capone to jail. In the crazy world we live in, it will take proven/documented criminal financial mis-deeds to bring anyone associated with the republicans and/or the administration down. No one cares about anything else (and few care about this. Sad, I know.)

12 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

True, but those in power actually like those aspects.

It's the bean counters that sent Capone to jail. In the crazy world we live in, it will take proven/documented criminal financial mis-deeds to bring anyone associated with the republicans and/or the administration down. No one cares about anything else (and few care about this. Sad, I know.)

Right. But we're talking about SCOTUS nominee Kavanaugh, not the finances of the Trump Administration. For the latter, I very much agree. For the former, I'm fine with digging into it but there are some aspects of it which just aren't news worthy to the extent it's being covered.

3 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Right. But we're talking about SCOTUS nominee Kavanaugh, not the finances of the Trump Administration. For the latter, I very much agree. For the former, I'm fine with digging into it but there are some aspects of it which just aren't news worthy to the extent it's being covered.

Paying off a year's salary in debt isn't an easy thing, so I think it would definitely be something to look into as to whether a SC justice is taking large sums of money on the side.

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Paying off a year's salary in debt isn't an easy thing, so I think it would definitely be something to look into as to whether a SC justice is taking large sums of money on the side.

The numbers were 60k - 199k. We're assuming it's at the high end and that the debt was entirely his. If it's related to Nationals tickets that he was splitting with another, and the number was towards the bottom end of the debt, it's not that hard to see. It's worth investigating, but I'd get the answers before all the insinuations.

4 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Eh... if you read the whole WP article it mentions that his salary was around $220k as DC Circuit judge, he held that position from 2006 on.  Not crazy to think that he could have the paid off the debt out savings.  Sure, this deserves some scrutiny, but it certainly isn't a smoking gun or anything.  

Not really. He had that salary and was accumulating debt on all his credit cards and took out a loan. According to that article he has a mortgage on his house too, like most people. People with $15k or more in debt on 3 credit cards do not have savings, trust me. They’re paying off their credit card debt.

He is reported as saying he was repaid for season’s tickets to baseball, but just how expensive are they?

The suspicious part is the timing, when he made the consideration lust the last time. It’s not unreasonable to wonder if a Republican benefactor stepper up with cash.

What a boring non-story.

From what I've learned, Kavanaugh is like a kinder, gentler Scalia but will probably vote very similar to him (particularly when it comes to reproductive rights etc,,). He also isn't a climate change denier (very much the opposite), but at the same time he has a history of voting against the EPA ...something to do with him believing Congress needs to pass laws rather than the EPA work by "fiat".

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

I actually agree with Frog Eater (whoa) that this is more a case of "cops being dicks," with the caveat that the cops' dickery was probably politically motivated. I wouldn't call it a "political move" though, as that kind of implies that the GOP political apparatus coordinated with local Ohio police to produce a sting operation targeted at Stormy, which seems fairly unlikely to me - at least, in comparison to the probability that the Ohio cops were just right-wing assholes who abused their power. 

So how many days do we give it before Trump withdraws from NATO? I'm not foolish enough to think the right will bat an eye and him blatantly serving Russian interests again.

This Peter Strzok hearing is nuts. House Republicans are trying to hold him in criminal contempt for not answering questions on an ongoing criminal and counter-intelligence investigation, the very thing they have destroyed Comey for. I think Strzok has held up well and has fired back where appropriate.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

This Peter Strzok hearing is nuts. House Republicans are trying to hold him in criminal contempt for not answering questions on an ongoing criminal and counter-intelligence investigation, the very thing they have destroyed Comey for. I think Strzok has held up well and has fired back where appropriate.

Hypocrisy is the main item in the Republican platform.

Wish I could see the hearings from work.

25 minutes ago, Lany Freelove Cassandra said:

Hypocrisy is the main item in the Republican platform.

Wish I could see the hearings from work.

If they didn't stand for hypocrisy, they wouldn't stand at all.

Archived