norse mythology references in a song of ice and fire

goldenlion

http://gameofthronesandnorsemythology.blogspot.com/2013/05/ragnarok-song-of-ice-fire.html

Ragnarök - The Song of Ice & Fire What is Ragnarök? It is, quite literally, the song of ice and fire.

But what is a song? Is a song a battle? Do notes fight one another for dominance, with no care or concern for the overall sound? No. That is discord. A song is harmony – notes working together in unison.

And that is Ragnarök – the forces of ice & fire uniting as one to attack the world of gods and men.

And that is key to understanding what’s really going on in George R. R. Martin’s epic fantasy series, A Song of Ice and Fire, upon which the popular HBO show, Game of Thrones, is based (assuming my theory is correct, of course. If it’s not, then I’m just delusional, but it should be entertaining either way, so, by all means, read on). The battle is not Dragons vs. White Walkers. It’s Dragons & White Walkers vs. Mankind.

Prior to Ragnarök, the world is plagued by civil war, rampant immorality, patricide/fratricide and disease. A “long winter” then engulfs the world, known as Fimbulvetr (i.e. three simultaneous winters without end – Winter Is Coming) before the ensuing apocalypse erupts. At Ragnarök, giants (i.e. jötnar – not giants as we think of them, but elemental beings)

Jormungandr – the World Serpent – is represented by Daenerys Targaryen, who is obviously linked to dragons/serpents, and is in exile, forced to wander the world (the TV show also makes note of how many different languages she speaks as well). Jormungandr is supposedly so massive, he can circle the world and swallow his tail, which is represented by Quaithe’s prophecy to Daenerys – “to go West, you must go East, etc”. Another aspect of Jormungandr’s character can be seen in Daenerys’ relationship to Robert Baratheon, i.e. the Storm Lord with the war hammer – Thor. In Norse mythology, Jormungandr & Thor are archenemies, slated to kill one another at Ragnarök, and in A Song of Ice & Fire, Daenerys & Robert Baratheon are archenemies (I happen to think Dany will meet her demise at Robert’s ancestral castle, Storm’s End – i.e. Stormborn dies at Storm’s End – but that’s for a different post). Dany’s family was murdered and her throne usurped by Baratheon, and the enmity even followed her across the sea, as Robert tried to have her assassinated, contrary to honorable Ned’s advice. What’s more is Jormungandr is not just a serpent, but a sea serpent. Dany’s relationship to the sea is represented by her need for ships

-Fafnir is a dwarf whose father is the richest man in the world. In an act of treachery, Fafnir murders his father and steals his gold. He then flees with the treasure and transforms into a dragon in order to protect it. And, although Fafnir is not involved in the Ragnarök mythology, he is the central antagonist in the tales of the legendary hero Sigurd (and, I have yet to identify Sigurd). So, it’s difficult to say what role he will play in future events, but Fafnir is clearly Tyrion Lannister. Like Fafnir, Tyrion is also a dwarf who slays his wealthy father and then flees across the Narrow Sea to the protection of a dragon (Danaerys Targaryen). He then uses his supposed status as “heir of Casterly Rock” to join the Second Sons mercenary company, which in itself is a clue – Tyrion is the heir of Casterly Rock… …

and if you want to see the rest for tyrion being fafnir section check the blogspotAnd, the conflict upon which the whole story is centered on is between Bran & Jaime – not Jon & his mother, or Daenerys and her “children”. When Bran catches Jaime having sex with Cersei in the beginning of A Game of Thrones, and subsequently gets pushed from the window, it sets off a chain of events. The culmination is the loss of Jaime’s hand to the mercenary Vargo Hoat (who was changed to the character Locke on the TV show – a Bolton man, rather than a sellsword). These two incidents are representative of the story of Fenrir’s binding by the god Tyr – the one-handed god of single combat – the champion of mankind (i.e. Jaime – or, as the Asshai'i call him, Azor Ahai). When Tyr first binds Fenrir, he still has both of his hands. Fenrir bites off his hand as a result of his binding. And even though Bran isn’t directly responsible for chopping off Jaime’s hand, it does come about as a result of his crippling (i.e. a war was started over it). And in this sense, Bran’s paralyzation represents Fenrir’s “binding”. (robert baratheon being a storm lord and having a war hammer represented thor ) a

There are parallels to norse mythology that I had came up with myself like the bloodraven being odin though later on I found the reddit post below   and made additions to this post and that post also had the bloodraven being odin and had things I didnt notice so I will make sure you know which I had obtained from the reddit post and which I came up with myself completely and which I have added to using the reddit post (including bloodraven is odin ) and will identify which is my work and which isnt  (by indenting it and/or italicizing it )

since I ahd noticed bloodraven had similarities to odin but the person who made the reddit post noticed things that I didnt notice so I will copy and paste what he wrote for bloodraven to be after what I wrote and the only things I will take from the post above are right below the link and before  I wrote ¨there are parallels to norse mythology¨

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/27w347/spoilers_all_the_norse_around_grrms_neck_part_i/

and stannis may represent surtr the fire giant

"I know the cost! Last night, gazing into that hearth, I saw things in the flames as well. I saw a king, a crown of fire on his brows, burning . . . burning, Davos. His own crown consumed his flesh and turned him into ash. Do you think I need Melisandre to tell me what that means? Or you?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2snbic/spoilers_all_the_role_of_surtr_in_ragnorak_and/

1. Associated with fires/volcanoes: lives on Dragonstone a volcanically active island, also addicted to Fire/ Rhllor practices

2. Also known as “The Black": very grim and miserable and stubborn. ( I understand that many characters share these traits, but I consider Stannis to be the most grim buzzkill storm-cloud-hanging-over-your-head-constantly person in Westeros.)

3. Associated with Hel, keeper of the Dead: Close to Melisandre who is associated with shadows resurrection and literally is from the sketchiest part of Planetos)

4. During Ragnorak, he will lead the sons of Muspelheim to Battle with the Asgardian Gods: Stannis is in a position to possibly unite the North and lead them to battle against those in King’s Landing. Although Muspelheim is a fire world and Stannis is in the North, insert tinfoil hat GRRM may have reversed the roles of Ice and Fire.

5. He will bypass Heimdall and kill the God Freyr: unsure about who Heimdall could be, but consider the last thing we know about Stannis' situation, he is about to do battle with HOUSE FREY at the frozen lake in the crofter’s village. Now no one save GRRM knows how this battle will turn out, but its heavily hinted that Stannis is planning to out smart the Frey army and have them trapped on the ice in which the weight of the Frey’s armor and horses will break the ice beneath them and drown them. More detail on this possibility below:

https://cantuse.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/the-night-lamp-an-alternative-strategy-for-the-siege-of-winterfell/

6. Wields a flaming sword whose light can be seen from afar: Literally has a sword on fire, whether magical or not.

7. Will use said flaming sword to burn the earth for its rebirth: He could fully harness the power of the Rhllor, and start rampaging across Westeros (“Stannis will break before he bends”, ) due to no non-northerners supporting him for King.¨

https://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/2bcmry/spoilers_all_the_freys_impending_doom_a_fire/

"Freyr is one of the most important Norse gods. He was the first god to lose in Ragnarok because he gave up his magical sword to marry a giantess. Surtr, the King of the fire giant, killed Freyr and then burnt all the nine worlds with the same magical sword." King of the fire giant? Magical sword? These both seem to relate to massive plot points which are discussed on here repeatedly. First of all, "King of the fire giant". Let's assume that the fire giant is portrayed in ASOIAF as R'hollor, the fire god. Now the king of this fire giant is, most obviously Stannis. He is a King, and although it is not clear whether he truly believes in this fire god, he definitely harnesses its power to his own ends. It could also refer to Jon Snow or Dany. There are arguments for both of them being Azor Ahai reborn, and so they could also be the "King of the fire giant". Secondly, "magical sword" is an almost definite parallel with Lightbringer. Could this mean that the wielder of Lightbringer is Stannis, and that he will smash the Freys in the upcoming battle at Winterfell? This would drastically weaken the Lannisters and their hold on the seven kingdoms and Stannis' conquering of the seven kingdoms could relate to "and then burnt all the nine worlds with the same magical sword". It continues to say "Surtr then used his sword to cover the worlds in flame. But he also died in the fire." So whoever this king of the fire god is, he will conquer the world, but die in the process.

I then decided to research what "Ragnorök" is.

"In Norse mythology, Ragnarök ("fate of the gods") is the battle at the end of the world. It would be fought between the gods or Æsir, led by Odin and the fire giants, the Jötnar and other monsters, led by Loki. Not only will some of the gods, giants, and monsters die in this battle, but almost everything in the universe will be destroyed." It is worth noting that the Jötnar are giants. So it is a battle between Odin and the fire giants, or fire god, and giants and other monsters, led by Loki. Giants are only found north of the wall along with the others, so it is fair to say that these "monsters" they fight with could be the others. So, the fate of the gods. The battle at the end of the world. The battle between R'hollor and the Other. ASOIAF has been leading up for this eventual battle for too long for this to be a coincedence.

So then I thought I would research Loki. He's the guy leading all the bad guys in this, so who could his parallel be in ASOIAF? "Loki is the son of a frost giant" "He has the power of changing his appearance" Now who could this possibly relate to? The only characters I can think of are either Jon Snow or Bran, (both of Stark blood, both have warging or skinchanging abilities). Continued researching and found this, "Loki was blamed for the death of the god Baldur, using the blind god Höðr's hands." So this Loki has a connection with the god Höðr, who is apparently "blind" (Hodor is simple, blind to what is happening around him), Loki uses his hands (Bran can skinchange into Hodor). Could this mean that Loki is Bran, and Bran ends up leading an army of "monsters" against the seven kingdoms and potentially against his own half-brother?

Tl;dr; the Freys will get destroyed by a King of the fire god, who will in turn have to fight a son of a frost giant. The King of the fire god wins, conquers the world, but dies in the process.

there is more than a little suggestion that the Freys are going to be burned/boiled alive. In a Catelyn chapter from AGOT, there are these two lines:

That would boil them, to be sure

and

Perhaps I'll make him heir, wouldn't that boil the rest of them?

As well as two other lines from chapters I don't remember:

Catelyn would gladly have spitted the querulous old man and roasted him over a fire...

and

If I had the sense the gods gave a fish, I’d help the Lannisters boil you all.

____

my own stuff now the others are just from things I found after I looked them up before posting 

though I lean more to jon being surtr

¨Jojen’s eyes were the color of moss, and sometimes when he looked at you he seemed to be seeing something else. Like now. “I dreamed of a winged wolf bound to earth with grey stone chains,” he said. “It was a green dream, so I knew it was true. A crow was trying to peck through the chains, but the stone was too hard and his beak could only chip at them.”

Jojen Reed tells Bran that he dreamed of a winged wolf bound in chains, with a three-eyed crow chipping at its stone chains

bran is the winged wolf bound in chains with the being bound in chains represented by him being crippled. and him being freed and flying is represented by him awakening to his green seer powers

bran represents fenrir who was a wolf who was bound in chains because of thr gods predominantly by tyr who tricked him in letting him be bound by glepnir which cost tyr his sword hand

and warg in norse  means monstrous wolf

and typically refers to fenrir and his sons

fenrir Freed from his fetters upon the blowing of Heimdall’s Horn, signalling the beginning of Ragnarök. maybe bran will be Freed from the weirwood tree after the Horn of Joramun is blown, which tears down the Wall.

and bran Wargs into a great Direwolf. summer

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/5twuyg/jon_snowazor_ahaisurtr/

Fenrir eats the flesh of men in the cave, it's reminiscent of the whole 'Jojenpaste'. Fenrir means 'he who dwells in the marshes'/'fen-dweller'. It's a connection to the bond between Bran and Jojen/Meera Reed, who are Crannogmen, and come from Greywater Watch, seat of the Marsh Kings. House Reed is the noble House of the Kingdom of the Neck, the land covered in marshes and swamps.

(and fenrirs sister was hel the goddess of death who is half black and half white ¨Some descriptions of her from the Edda propose that Hel is half black and half white¨ one side is black and other white

which would be represented by arya who trained in the house of black and white as an faceless man who are death worshipers

jon could allude to surtr surtr Name translates to “black”. Jon Snow is Lord Commander of the Black Brothers of the Night’s Watch. Lives at the end of the Bifröst Bridge, to defend Múspell (the land of fire). Lives at Castle Black, to defend Westeros. Is of unknown origins, just one day appeared out of the darkness. how jons . how jons origins is unknown Leads the Fire Giants to battle during Ragnarök, wielding a sword brighter than the sun. “We are the fire that burns against the cold is  motto for night watch

Walder Frey

Freyr

Freyr Walder
Obvious name similarities.  
God of virility, fair weather, among other things. Descendants point to extreme virility, fun play on words with "fair weather", always picking the winning side in conflicts.
Twin to goddess Freyja. Lord of the Twins.
Freyr was also known as Yngve, a name passed down through his many descendants. There are multiple Walders and Waldas throughout Frey's line.
Killed by fire giant Surtr. I don't see any feasible way Frey's demise could be met at the hands of Jon Snow at this point in the story.

hel is portrayed in simarra as consort of surtr and in grrm original outline arya was going to fall in love with jon

[Arya] realizes, with terror, that she has fallen in love with Jon, who is not only her half-brother but a man of the Night’s Watch, sworn to celibacy. Their passion will continue to torment Jon and Arya throughout the trilogy… (GRRM, The Letter) 
http://ashotofjac.tumblr.com/post/169937547318

I think arya alludes to hel not melisandre

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/5twuyg/jon_snowazor_ahaisurtr/

though the reddit post above feels that way

Surtr (also known as 'Black', 'The Black One'), a giant who breaks Bifrost and leads his kin ('sons of Múspell') into battle against the Aesir and Vanir Gods during Ragnarok, carrying a bright flaming sword. He is said to be 'the fire of the Underworld'. He is stationed at the Bifrost Bridge, guarding the frontier of the southern realm of fire Múspell (Muspelheim), the antithesis of Niflheim (the northern realm of ice).

At the end of the world he will go and wage war and defeat all the Gods, burn the whole world with fire and rebirth it again.

He presumably has a consort, Sinmara, who is believed to be Hel ('Hidden'), a goddess of the underworld, necromancer, sorceress and Loki's daughter. Hel is described as "half-beautiful, half-dead", "half-white/half-black with a perpetually grim and fierce expression on her face". She is portrayed as greedy and harsh.

Loki is a trickster, who works against the Gods, he is neither evil nor good, he is a shape shifter who can take the form of any living being, birds/insects/fish etc, but can also turn into mist. He was banished from Asgard to be bound in a cave as punishment for his crime (the death of Baldr). He will break free when Ragnarok erupts. He is the father of Hel, Fenrir (Bound Wolf) and Jörmungandr (World Serpent).

Bifrost Bridge = The Wall, separating Westeros (South, Realm of Men) = Muspelheim (South, Realm of Giants) from Beyond the Wall (North, Realm of Ice/Gods/Others) = Asgard/Nilfheim (North, Realm of Gods/Ice).

Jon Snow (Surtr) = sworn brother of the Night's Watch, stationed at The Wall, took the black, called 'the Black Bastard of The Wall”, wears black, has 'grey eyes so dark they seem black' (on the show they're dark brown, often appearing black), 'black was always my colour', on the show he even has black hair to complement his black attire and grim persona.

Burning shafts hissed upward, trailing tongues of fire. Scarecrow brothers tumbled down, black cloaks ablaze. "Snow," an eagle cried, as foemen scuttled up the ice like spiders. Jon was armored in black ice, but his blade burned red in his fist. As the dead men reached the top of the Wall he sent them down to die again. - ADWD

Dareon and Sam left with him. They descended to the yard in silence. Outside, Jon looked up at The Wall shining in the sun, the melting ice creeping down its side in a hundred thin fingers. Jon's rage was such that he would have smashed it all in an instant, and the world be damned. - AGOT

Melisandre (Hel) = shadowbinder from Asshai, devout believer in the fiery God R'hllor, obsessed with death/underworld/blood sacrifice, possibly undead, is extremely old, her true self is hidden by her glamour (has two faces, beautiful/young and ugly/old), resurrects Jon Snow, speculated to be Bloodraven's daughter.

https://norse-mythology.org/tales/the-binding-of-fenrir/

¨Fenrir grew at an alarming rate, however, and soon the gods decided that his stay in Asgard had to be temporary. Knowing well how much devastation he would cause if he were allowed to roam free, the gods attempted to bind him with various chains. They were able to gain the wolf’s consent by telling him that these fetters were tests of his strength, and clapping and cheering when, with each new chain they presented him, he broke free.

At last, the gods sent a messenger down to Svartalfheim, the realm of the dwarves. The dwarves, being the most skilled craftspeople in the cosmos, were able to forge a chain whose strength couldn’t be equaled; it was wrought from the sound of a cat’s footsteps, the beard of a woman, the roots of mountains, the breath of a fish, and the spittle of a bird – in other words, things which don’t exist, and against which it’s therefore futile to struggle. Gleipnir (“Open”) was its name.

When the gods presented Fenrir with the curiously light and supple Gleipnir, the wolf suspected trickery and refused to be bound with it unless one of the gods would lay his or her hand in his jaws as a pledge of good faith. None of the gods agreed, knowing that this would mean the loss of a hand and the breaking of an oath. At last, the brave Tyr, for the good of all life, volunteered to fulfill the wolf’s demand. And, sure enough, when Fenrir discovered that he was unable to escape from Gleipnir, he chomped off and swallowed Tyr’s hand.¨

jaime was the one who metaphorically bound bran in chains by pushing him off the tower causing bran to be paralyzed from the waist down and in a storm of swords he lost the hand which he used to push bran off the tower  to the bloody mummers who were technically on the starks side

. tyr (who lost his right hand to fenrir was the god of heroism and justice  and single combatand jaime wants to be known as golden hand the just which makes me believe jaime will succeed in that

and jaime often asked for single combat as a form of resolution

Prefix "Ty-", Týr translates to "Ty" in Norwegian. "Ty-" is a common prefix for Lannisters, which Jaime curiously does not share.
God of law, justice, heroism, and single combat. No discernible connection to law. Begins heroic acts in ASOS (e.g. Brienne and the bear). Often asks for single combat as conflict resolution prior to de-handing.
Unnamed mother, described as goddess-like Mother Joanna, dead before series begins, described as beautiful and well trusted by Tywin.
Assists with the binding of Fenrir. Cripples Bran (metaphorical binding), which leads to his journey with Bloodraven (literal binding to a tree).

and tyr was willing to break his oath  and so was jaime for the good of the realm 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Týr

so to those who support the idea of tyrion being fafnir do you think jaime will end up killing tyrion

odin is in my opinion represented by bloodraven contrary to what  the link to the blogspot above says he is loki  and aerys is odindue to the fact that bloodraven and odin both have one eye odin had a are a pair of ravens that fly all over the world, Midgard, and bring information to the god Odin. and odin due to his association with Huginn and Muninn and bloodraven like him uses ravens to gather information across the world  to the point  it was said he had a thousand eyes and one ¨ bloodraven and odin are both oath breakers 

odin is The “All-Father”, the supreme deity in Norse mythology. Described as a one-eyed old man with shoulder-length white hair, and one eye. bloodraven Former Hand of the King, considered by many to have controlled the realm with sorcery. Identified by his long white hair. Lost an eye in the Blackfyre Rebellion.
Was known by many names (All-Father, Creator, Maker, Ygg, Gagnrad, Herjan, etc.)“I wore many names when I was quick…” - BR to Meera.

From odins  seat, sees all things that pass. bloodraven From his weirwood throne, sees future and past events.
odin Could strike with his spear wheresoever he aimed. bloodraven was Considered an expert archer with his weirwood bow.
 odin Binds himself to (some interpretations say hang himself from) Yggdrasil, a great ash tree connected to the nine worlds.  Creatures live within Yggdrasil, including a wyrm dragon. bloodraven Binds himself with a great weirwood tree, whose caverns are vast
Odin only ever partook in wine as sustenance, never food or drink of any other kind. Bloodraven’s birthmark is always described as a “wine-stain” mark or wine colored. 

Although there is a piece of Loki in Bloodraven, it’s clear his main inspiration was Odin.

loki Bound to a cave, until Ragnarok sees him released bloodraven is Bound to a tree deep in a cave, until the Breaking of the Wall releases him.

loki Assists in raising Fenrir (although mostly his wife).bloodraven Teaches Bran in the ways of seership.

loki is Called the “Father of Wargs”. bloodraven is Undeniably the most successful warg in Westeros.

Daenerys, who is Jormungandr (a Norse dragon, Great Serpent), is not Bloodraven's child either, but is distantly related to him. Both are of Targaryen blood. Jormungandr's arch enemy is Thor, the Thunder God.

I do think bran will kill bloodraven   due to him being a deserter of the nightwatch and his father believed desertion deserved death

Archived