Jump to content
Canon Claude

If Aegon is fake, does Jon Con know?

Recommended Posts

And moreover, how could he not know if it’s true? That’s the big hurdle I face in believing that Aegon is a false dragon. That and the fact that Varys wastes time trying to persuade a dying man that Aegon is the real deal, even though it doesn’t matter whether Kevan believes it or not). 

But back on topic, Connington surely wouldn’t have raised an imposter with such love and devotion if it wasn’t Rhaegar’s kid. And how would Connington have been fooled to think it was the real boy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Connington only knows what the boy's people told him.  They bring this baby with blonde hair and tell him it's Rhaegar's.  They back it up with Lemore/Ashara words.  Why would he doubt that?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And he wants to believe it. Rhaegar dying and his own failures in battle, are very painful memories to live with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JonCon would never in a million yrs go along w/ a faux Aegon scheme IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiding stuff like that in a POV would just be trash writing, as far as we know Jon either believes outright or has convinced himself to believe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably no. no way in hell JonCon will support a blackfyre and he hates Varys and Illyrio too. but I think the high ranking Golden Company officer does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as we know Jon Connington thinks Aegon is the real deal. If I where in his position I would probably be questioning it, since Aegon didn't come into his custody until he was around about 4 or 5 years old. But judging by the type of person Jon Connington is, he probably feels incredibly guilty about failing Rhaegar and not being able to protect his children, so he might just be going along with it because he's so desperate for a part of Rhaegar to still be out there. Even if he was straight up told by someone that Aegon was a fake, I don't think he would believe them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

As far as we know Jon Connington thinks Aegon is the real deal. If I where in his position I would probably be questioning it, since Aegon didn't come into his custody until he was around about 4 or 5 years old. But judging by the type of person Jon Connington is, he probably feels incredibly guilty about failing Rhaegar and not being able to protect his children, so he might just be going along with it because he's so desperate for a part of Rhaegar to still be out there. Even if he was straight up told by someone that Aegon was a fake, I don't think he would believe them. 

I also think, that he wants to believe in it, because it gives him hope, and purpose in life. Though it seems, that he does have some suspicions.

ADWD, The Griffin Reborn:

" “Lord Connington,” he said, “I like your castle.”

Your father’s lands are beautiful,” he said. His silvery hair was blowing in the wind, and his eyes were a deep purple, darker than this boy’s."

He thinks, that Rhaegar's eyes were darker, and notices, that, unlike Young Griff, Rhaegar has valued beauty of nature, more than he valued material things. So JonCon is aware, that the boy, looks different from Rhaegar, and has different personality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Megorova said:

I also think, that he wants to believe in it, because it gives him hope, and purpose in life. Though it seems, that he does have some suspicions.

ADWD, The Griffin Reborn:

" “Lord Connington,” he said, “I like your castle.”

Your father’s lands are beautiful,” he said. His silvery hair was blowing in the wind, and his eyes were a deep purple, darker than this boy’s."

He thinks, that Rhaegar's eyes were darker, and notices, that, unlike Young Griff, Rhaegar has valued beauty of nature, more than he valued material things. So JonCon is aware, that the boy, looks different from Rhaegar, and has different personality.

This. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jon Connington doesn't know he is a fake. As others have said he wants to believe and he isn't clever enough to figure out what possible motivation Varys could have to lie. 

But Tyrion is clever enough and so is Arianne. It will be interesting whether Connington supports him if if he finally  realises he has been tricked. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Megorova said:

I also think, that he wants to believe in it, because it gives him hope, and purpose in life. Though it seems, that he does have some suspicions.

ADWD, The Griffin Reborn:

" “Lord Connington,” he said, “I like your castle.”

Your father’s lands are beautiful,” he said. His silvery hair was blowing in the wind, and his eyes were a deep purple, darker than this boy’s."

He thinks, that Rhaegar's eyes were darker, and notices, that, unlike Young Griff, Rhaegar has valued beauty of nature, more than he valued material things. So JonCon is aware, that the boy, looks different from Rhaegar, and has different personality.

This has always been my view.  I believe deep down he may know the odds are against it, but chose to believe.  

Billions of people believe in religions with absolutely nothing to go on, for Jon Con to have fooled himself because of his pain is not at all a stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Makk said:

Jon Connington doesn't know he is a fake. As others have said he wants to believe and he isn't clever enough to figure out what possible motivation Varys could have to lie. 

But Tyrion is clever enough and so is Arianne. It will be interesting whether Connington supports him if if he finally  realises he has been tricked. 

 

You know that Tyrion believes Aegon to be the real deal, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bent branch said:

You know that Tyrion believes Aegon to be the real deal, right?

No, in fact I believe quite the opposite. He knows Aegon is Illyrio's son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Megorova said:

He thinks, that Rhaegar's eyes were darker, and notices, that, unlike Young Griff, Rhaegar has valued beauty of nature, more than he valued material things. So JonCon is aware, that the boy, looks different from Rhaegar, and has different personality.

This conveys nothing to me. Why would a son be expected to be identical to his father? Why would he be expected to have the same personality, particularly since the boy was not raised by his actual father or even his actual mother? I don't see this analysis as indicating any doubt on "Griff's" part, just as an observation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Makk said:

Jon Connington doesn't know he is a fake. As others have said he wants to believe and he isn't clever enough to figure out what possible motivation Varys could have to lie. 

But Tyrion is clever enough and so is Arianne. It will be interesting whether Connington supports him if if he finally  realises he has been tricked. 

If Aegon is truly a Blackfyre, or even an imposter of any kind, I think the plot demands that Jon Connington be made aware. The reader deserves to witness Jon's reaction, I think. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, bent branch said:

You know that Tyrion believes Aegon to be the real deal, right?

I think this question is even more interesting. I am not so sure that Tyrion wholeheartedly accepts that Aegon is the son of Rhaegar. But if he does, I think it would be very easy for another character to persuade him to the contrary. I think Tyrion will support which ever version of the truth is in his own interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he has doubts. The reason Varys chose Jon Conn is because the man is desperate for redemption and he can get that through Aegon. 

I imagine Jon Conn loves the boy. I think he'll break if something happens to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zandru said:

This conveys nothing to me. Why would a son be expected to be identical to his father? Why would he be expected to have the same personality, particularly since the boy was not raised by his actual father or even his actual mother? I don't see this analysis as indicating any doubt on "Griff's" part, just as an observation.

And I meant it, just as his observations. He noticed those things about Young Griff. Though it's also obvious, that he can't make a judgement, whether the boy is Rhaegar's son or not, just based on his looks or personality. Many children doesn't look like their parents, and have entirely different character, which doesn't mean, that they are fakes. Though if later, JonCon will find out, that fAegon is a fake, then he will probably think differently, about his earlier observations. He will see them as warnings, that his subconsciousness was sending to him. Because, deep down in his heart, he did had doubts, about this story of Aegon's miraculous salvation.

Also, even though Jon Snow wasn't raised by his parents, he still has Rhaegar's personality. Sometimes children and parents are very much alike.

1 hour ago, Widow's Watch said:

I imagine Jon Conn loves the boy. I think he'll break if something happens to him.

My guess, is that GRRM plans to make it known to JonCon, that fAegon is an imposter, and it will nearly break him. Though later he will be revived, when he will find out, that one of Rhaegar's children is alive. Furthermore, Rhaegar has even named this last child of his, in honor of Jon Connington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×