how would doran, his kids, and sand snakes and oberyn react to R + L = J being true

goldenlion

44 minutes ago, goldenlion said:

how would they react to the reveal that jon is the true born son of rhaegar and lyanna 

Sarella would accompany Sam back from Oldtown to the Wall to put a bolt in Jon's head... and then it turns out that Jon's already been assassinated, since Doran takes too long with everything.

Doran

You have to remember that Doran had a secret marriage pact between Viserys and Arianne set up. There are two options for Doran to take:

1. So they would have either married Arianne to Viserys and shunned Jon out of spite.

2. Doran would have realized that supporting Jon would also bring them the support of the North, since if push came to shove, Ned would definitely support Jon over Robert, and with the North comes the Riverlands and potentially the Vale. So since any knowledge of the secret marriage pact was lost when Willem Darry died, Doran would probably pretend it never happened and support Jon as long as Jon married Arianne. 

Oberyn

Whist obviously the more hot blooded of the two, I think ultimately Oberyn would side with whatever Doran chooses to do. He is a big believer in not blaming the children for their parents doings. At most I think he would throw a few jabs here and there towards Jon. 

Sand Snakes

The Sand Snakes would have a similar reaction to Oberyn, but out of love for their father, ultimately go along with whatever Doran chooses. 

Arianne

We don't really know much about Arianne, but we know she at least appeared to be fond of Arys Oakheart, and aside from being a bit more confident, he seemed very similar to Jon Snow. So I think eventually they would grow to love each other, or at the very least care for each other. 

I think it would matter a lot when they found out about R + L = J.

If Doran knew pretty much from Jon's birth then I am sure he'd include that detail in his plotting. Maybe blackmail Ned into a advantageous marriage-pact, "ask" for one of Ned's kids as a ward or something along those lines.

In some ways Jon is much better candidate for a Targ restoration than Viserys (before Dany brings back the dragons of-course). He has natural allies outside of Dorne, has actually grown up in Westeros and has been raised among nobles as opposed to spending all his time running. So maybe Doran would choose to back Jon instead but I could see him not going for that option too. 

If Doran found out once Jon had tanked the Black I don't think it'd matter all the much. Maybe he'd just be kinda impressed that Ned fooled everyone for so long.

46 minutes ago, Pikachu101 said:

They'll reject it in favour of Aegon, besides even if R+L=J is true Jon can't prove he's legitimate 

If they learn of it during tWoW sure that'd be problem.

Seeing as Oberyn is included I assume OP is thinking it would happen earlier. Let's say that someone the Martells trusted (maybe even Doran or Oberyn) came upon the Tower of Joy trying to find out what Ned Stark was doing in Dorne. They'd have plenty of proof then.

But yeah, if Aegon is for real he'd be the Martells preferred candidate by default.

Hypothetically, if BOTH Aegon and Jon are accepted as legitimate sons of Rhaegar, it could prove an interesting prospect for Doran Martell.

Doran would probably back a donkey if it meant a Targaryen restoration. If he is convinced of Aegon as his nephew, he might need to weight up whether he wants to see Arianne as Queen of the Seven Kingdoms or as ruling Princess of Dorne - the former would benefit from an Aegon match, the latter a Jon match. By reconnecting with his nephew while also finding Jon a position and match beneficial to House Martell, he potentially has a Martell-Targ ruler of the 7Ks and a Martell-Targ marriage leading into the next generation. Together with the match between Myrcella and Trystan he has his blood line in several places of authority. 

It seems odd to bolster the son of the woman who displaced your sister but Doran is a practical enough man to simply see Jon as a “back-up” Targaryen. Now poor Quentyn is toast, he’ll probably wish to tie Dany in as many knots as possible as revenge; if there is one thing Doran can do, its hold a grudge. Dorne can withstand dragons when they need to so hurting Dany politically would be his weapon. Pitting her against two sons of Rhaegar is better than one. Whatever it takes to destroy Tywin’s legacy, restore the Targaryens to rule and put Martell on top while coming out smelling like a peace-loving rose.

...but I doubt it’ll ever come to that. The odds of Doran learning of Jon in time to factor him into a plan before he inevitably dies of illness are very slim. 

Doran may know a lot more than we think he does. Three Kingsguard died in the land he ruled. One of them was a Dornishman who may or may not be one of those children playing in the Water Gardens. 

I would think that Doran and his brother would want to know what and why these three men were not fighting on the Trident with their prince, were not in King's Landing to protect their king. It boggles the mind that he and Oberyn would not have wondered the why and how of what unfolded in Dorne. 

I think it's possible that with the savage deaths of Rhaenys and Aegon that Doran and Oberyn may just have decided to leave Jon be. I don't think they would have done less than what Ned did for their own blood.

Plus going by Oberyn's interaction with Tyrion (whose father ordered the deaths of Aegon and Rhaenys) and Sansa (whose father was part of the rebellion), he bore them no ill will. If anything, this is where was looking for those allies Doran sent him to find. I doubt they would have had any animosity toward Jon either.

And there is this other thing. Not once in the Dorne chapters is Rhaegar's name brought up. Oberyn brings up his name with regard to Tywin's rejection of the Princess of Dorne's marriage proposal and that's it. 

The idea that the Martells were still looking to put a Targaryen on the throne after they were ousted from power to me says enough to me that perhaps, they don't bare as much ill will toward Rhaegar as we are supposed to believe they do.

But it's not true.  It can never be proven even if it were.  Even make believing it's true, Jon will be known as the lord commander who caused the most problems at the wall since the night's king.  The Martells will try to distance themselves from him.  Besides they found their road to the throne in Aegon if only Arrianne can seduce him.  This is a better way than taking in a boy who looks nothing like a Targaryen and who has a spotty record at leadership.

I wouldn't be surprised if Doran or Varys knew about Jon. However since Ned was never going confirm it or raise arms to support a claim for Jon it would be pointless for them worry and scheme about the issue. Ned was keeping Jon in the North for the rest of his life, why bother worrying about a piece that will never be on the board?

I could see Oberyn trying to spread the information throughout the realm in hopes of sparking a war between the Baratheons/Lannisters/Starks/Tullys.  No one would believe him though and see it as the Martells trying to cause trouble because they are still angry about Elia's death.  Maybe a younger Arianne would try traveling North to seduce and marry Jon, I doubt she'd get out of Dorne before she was caught and brought back like when she tried to travel to Highgarden.

Doran rebuilds Tower of Joy, orders sandsnakes and Arianne kidnap Jon, they take him to ToJ and rape him in turns to produce a lot of snowwyrms to claim North, 7K and Dorne. Sansa rides with Myranda Royce and Mya Stone, they outperform Arianne and the snakes in bed, so they get to keep Jon. Cersei jumps to the sewers of the Rock cause she had a secret crush on Jon because he looks so much like Ned. She also wanted to fuck the shit out of him as revenge on Lyanna because she stole Rhaegar.

Jon soon dies out of exhaustion and Sansa claims snowwyrms as her own children. Her husband hairy the bear is jealous like a cat and wants to learn the father(s) of the children. 

Archived