Any shows like the Sicario films?

Calibandar

I've just watched the second "Sicario" film. Liked it a lot, good film, though falling short of the excellence of film 1.

Still I'd happily see more Sicario films.

It makes me inquire if you guys know of any shows like this, set on the border with Mexico, or in Mexico itself?

The only one that comes to mind is the American version of The Bridge, which I have not seen yet.

Is that good?

And Narcos of course, season 3 is set in Mexico I believe, still need to start that series.

American version of the bridge was meh.

Agree with narcos as an option.

Snowfall could potentially evolve into a show like sicario. It already has CIA playing their own games in the drug world.

Latter seasons of breaking bad involve Mexico but not so much the police cia aspect.

Because these two films appealed to you  (OP) so much, would you mind describing why they did appeal to you so much?

Not a snark question but an, um, well, inquiring, question.  You know, like over beers with a buddy who says, "You have to watch this stuff!"  And then you tell him why. :cheers:

I'd say The Bridge is pretty similar, as someone else mentioned.

I was less than thrilled with both Sicario movies. I had huge expectations for the first one and it really let me down. The second one was pretty good but IMO fell apart at the end.

Not Mexico, but a little internet search returned the Colombian film and tv series The Cartel of Snitches (El Cartel de Los Sapos) based on the novel of Andres Lopez Lopez. I'll have to look for the film or series.

12 hours ago, Zorral said:

Because these two films appealed to you  (OP) so much, would you mind describing why they did appeal to you so much?

Sure. What really appealed to me:

• Del Toro in what is easily one of his best career roles and for my money his very best, as Alejandro. Superb, cool character.
  • Brolin likewise is very good in these films.
  • I thought Blunt had a very good performance in film 1 and her absence in film was felt.
  • Story is tight and very good in film 1. 
  • I just love the Mexican setting, when they cross the border into Mexico and see what life is like in Juarez. Film 2 has that as well. The Mexican police, whose side our characters are never sure they're on.

7 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Sure. What really appealed to me:

• Del Toro in what is easily one of his best career roles and for my money his very best, as Alejandro. Superb, cool character.
  • Brolin likewise is very good in these films.
  • I thought Blunt had a very good performance in film 1 and her absence in film was felt.
  • Story is tight and very good in film 1. 
  • I just love the Mexican setting, when they cross the border into Mexico and see what life is like in Juarez. Film 2 has that as well. The Mexican police, whose side our characters are never sure they're on.

Specific actors and roles are hard to replicate but if you like the setting, the lens into a different life and the ambiguity of third world police/soldiers/authorities then Narcos is the closest fit.  Narcos eventually shifts to Mexico, but seeing life in Colombia is probably just as interesting.

If you don't like its narrated documentary style, then perhaps Snowfall S1 is worth a look.  It's a slow burn though.

If you specifically like to focus on Mexico, then there is El Chapo S1 on Netflix, and S2 arriving soon.  But it's in Spanish so I have not watched it yet.

All are pretty dated, harking back to the cocaine and crack explosion in the 1980s.  Although El Chapo's later seasons will eventually move toward current day.

Sacred Games on Netflix (season 1) provides a lot of the same satisfactions, at least for some of us.  Though it's in India.  But then, thugs is thugs and gangsters are gangsters, whatever era of history, whatever city, whatever country.  See: Rome and Gommorah and Suburra; Narcos; The Wire; the Godfathers and the endless flow of their siblings films like Good Fellas.

7 hours ago, Iskaral Putsch said:

Gomorrah and The Wire are amazing if you want to get culturally further from the Latin America narcos.  

Superb shows indeed, but seen :)

Archived