Why Ned didn't name one of his daughters Lyanna?

1 hour ago, Canon Claude said:

So Catelyn doesn’t have any say in naming her children? 

It just seems like she and Ned had a pact where he got to pick the boys names and she picked the girls names. 

Martinworld history mentions Sarra Stark and Arya Stark before main series. I don't remember any Rivermen with these names.

47 minutes ago, Ser Ilyn's Tongue said:

Because, dead or not, she's a central character to the story and we don't need two with the same name. Probably why Rhaegar has his name and not Aegon or Daeron or Baelor or something

Agree

Well Eddard's grandmother was Arya Flint, so he probably named Arya after her. I have no idea about Sansa, maybe its a Southern name since she looks just like Catelyn. 

I imagine Ned feels enough pain just looking at Jon, naming one of his daughters after her would probably kill him. 

53 minutes ago, EloImFizzy said:

Well Eddard's grandmother was Arya Flint, so he probably named Arya after her. I have no idea about Sansa, maybe its a Southern name since she looks just like Catelyn. 

I imagine Ned feels enough pain just looking at Jon, naming one of his daughters after her would probably kill him. 

Sansa is the name of a daughter of Rickon Stark, son of Cregan "Old man of the North" Stark.

Ned has told everyone in Winterfell that his sister was raped and taken away by Rhaegar, it is not something he'd want to have to explain to his children. 

Look at when we are introduced to Gerold Dayne, a child immediately brings up his famous cousin who died in Robert's Rebellion, that is exactly what would happen to a new Lyanna Stark, the name would be associated with rape for a generation or so. 

3 hours ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

I wonder who named Arya and Sansa. Ned clearly named his sons for people he loved but he didn't do it for Lyanna. Is he sexist?

2 hours ago, Ser Ilyn's Tongue said:

Because, dead or not, she's a central character to the story and we don't need two with the same name. Probably why Rhaegar has his name and not Aegon or Daeron or Baelor or something

/Thread 

3 hours ago, Ser Ilyn's Tongue said:

:agree:

Also, w/ his guilty conscience, sad memories, and the need to protect Jon's true parentage at all costs [at least in his eyes], he may have thought it'd be better to not draw any unwanted attention, in a sense. Having one of his daughters named Lyanna would be a constant reminder for those around him, and the more people think about Lyanna, the better the chances of someone connecting the dots. 

5 hours ago, Dead headofMaelysKinslayer said:

I wonder who named Arya and Sansa. Ned clearly named his sons for people he loved but he didn't do it for Lyanna. Is he sexist?

Why in the hells would Ned name his children after the woman who disgraced his house and caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands, all for love?  Ned loved Lyanna but he's not a stupid man all the time.  He knows she is one of the main causes of the rebellion.  Lyanna is nothing to admire folks.  Ned hid the truth from the public to protect her reputation.  She ran away from her family and from Robert.  We don't know what her relationship was with Rhaegar and Arthur but we believe she ran away on her own to avoid marrying a man she doesn't want like Robb chose to marry Jeyne to marry someone he loved instead of marrying a Frey.  The Starks do not hold to their oaths.  Lyanna, Jon, and Robb all broke their oaths.

2 hours ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

Why in the hells would Ned name his children after the woman who disgraced his house and caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands, all for love?  Ned loved Lyanna but he's not a stupid man all the time.  He knows she is one of the main causes of the rebellion.  Lyanna is nothing to admire folks.  Ned hid the truth from the public to protect her reputation.  She ran away from her family and from Robert.  We don't know what her relationship was with Rhaegar and Arthur but we believe she ran away on her own to avoid marrying a man she doesn't want like Robb chose to marry Jeyne to marry someone he loved instead of marrying a Frey.  The Starks do not hold to their oaths.  Lyanna, Jon, and Robb all broke their oaths.

Robb didn’t marry Jeyne out of love. He married her out of duty after he took her virginity. The show ruined his storyline by making him into a hopeless Romeo.

10 minutes ago, Canon Claude said:

Robb didn’t marry Jeyne out of love. He married her out of duty after he took her virginity. The show ruined his storyline by making him into a hopeless Romeo.

According to Robb it was out of love. 

"All men should keep their word, kings most of all. I was pledged to marry one of you and I broke that vow. The fault is not in you. What I did was not done to slight you, but because I loved another. "

Cat herself comments on it

"Be patient. Be understanding. He loves you and he needs you, and he will come back to you soon enough. This very night, perhaps. Be there when he does. That is all I can tell you."

In fact when Robb first informs his mother of the marriage he makes it clear that love was the reason

"If I could wish the Kingslayer back in chains I would. You freed him without my knowledge or consent . . . but what you did, I know you did for love. For Arya and Sansa, and out of grief for Bran and Rickon. Love's not always wise, I've learned. It can lead us to great folly, but we follow our hearts . . . wherever they take us. Don't we, Mother?"

Robb never claims it was out of duty and even points out that marrying her may well have done her and her family more harm than good. 

"Yes. Jason Mallister captured him in the Whispering Wood and has been holding him at Seagard for ransom. Of course I'll free him now, though he may not wish to join me. We wed without his consent, I fear, and this marriage puts him in dire peril. The Crag is not strong. For love of me, Jeyne may lose all."

The Dutiful thing to do would have been to send a raven and get her father's permission first. 

2 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

According to Robb it was out of love. 

"All men should keep their word, kings most of all. I was pledged to marry one of you and I broke that vow. The fault is not in you. What I did was not done to slight you, but because I loved another. "

Cat herself comments on it

"Be patient. Be understanding. He loves you and he needs you, and he will come back to you soon enough. This very night, perhaps. Be there when he does. That is all I can tell you."

In fact when Robb first informs his mother of the marriage he makes it clear that love was the reason

"If I could wish the Kingslayer back in chains I would. You freed him without my knowledge or consent . . . but what you did, I know you did for love. For Arya and Sansa, and out of grief for Bran and Rickon. Love's not always wise, I've learned. It can lead us to great folly, but we follow our hearts . . . wherever they take us. Don't we, Mother?"

Robb never claims it was out of duty and even points out that marrying her may well have done her and her family more harm than good. 

"Yes. Jason Mallister captured him in the Whispering Wood and has been holding him at Seagard for ransom. Of course I'll free him now, though he may not wish to join me. We wed without his consent, I fear, and this marriage puts him in dire peril. The Crag is not strong. For love of me, Jeyne may lose all."

The Dutiful thing to do would have been to send a raven and get her father's permission first. 

You bring up fair points. If Robb was trying to do the most honorble thing duty demanded, he would followed the appropriate course of marrying Jeyne-such as asking her patriarch's permission to do so, and giving the dowry(seriously without that he'd basiclly be stealing Jeyne from house Westerling) the patriarch demanded for his daughter's hand. Robb  defiling Jeyne does not automatically give him permission much less the obligation to marry her-who she weds is up to her father.

9 hours ago, Ser Ilyn's Tongue said:

The same names are given to diffrent characters; I mean we have multiple of Jons, Roberts, Rickards and Brands for example. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2018 at 2:20 PM, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

Not as much as other men in Westeros, since he allowed Arya to train in arms. His own father didn't even allow that. 

Archived