HBO's Sharp Objects

Theda Baratheon

So...sharp objects and hidden words...

The first episode is incredibly compelling; I'm a big fan of Adams and this looks like an incredibly meaty role for her to play. 

Things this episode does so right:

• seemless flashbacks that integrate smoothly into the present...just like real memories do. 
  • kid actors that look like their adult counterparts
  • dialogue: ''Old money and trash...'' 
  • a brilliant portrayal of the compulsion behind self harm and self destructive behaviours...spot the negative words in the background and give me the number you end up with. 
  • a compelling story that you want to see unfold.

This HBO series is based on a book, one I haven't read, and will avoid spoilers from the book here please. 

Am interested to see everyone else's thoughts...

Also...my number is 5. 

It seems pretty strong so far. It also seems like a very faithful adaptation. Not that I'm a slave to the notion that only faithful adaptations can be good ones but the interactions between characters arouse the same feelings they did when I read the book.

The step-father dressing like he's weekending in the Hamptons cracks me up. 

I had to do a quick rewind to see what she had carved into her arm in the final scene, which I think is cool - because it flashed up suddenly and I wasn't certain I'd seen it or not. 

I'm sad I've got to wait between episodes because I want to see more. 

Got around to watching this last night. Very intriguing first episode with plenty of unanswered questions. Feels like there's a mystery going on here at multiple levels. The end was genuinely shocking to the uninitiated. A couple of observations:

• I haven't read the book, but since @Isis points out that it's very faithful I have to say this - Gillian Flynn (between this and Gone Girl) does a phenomenal job of illustrating the actual vibe and atmosphere of "middle America." Not some romanticized or generic version of it. The real shit: Boring landscapes dotted with sleepy houses, farm animals and bland commerce, populated by miserable people kind of fumbling through life. I absolutely love it. It reminds me a lot of how effective season 1 of True Detective was at showing the deep South in all its glory.
  • The mom (Patricia Clarkson, who is awesome in everything) reminded me so much of my own mother that it made me a bit uncomfortable for Amy Adams' character. Looking forward to seeing what is behind that dynamic.

On 7/13/2018 at 1:47 PM, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Got around to watching this last night. Very intriguing first episode with plenty of unanswered questions. Feels like there's a mystery going on here at multiple levels. The end was genuinely shocking to the uninitiated. A couple of observations:

• I haven't read the book, but since @Isis points out that it's very faithful I have to say this - Gillian Flynn (between this and Gone Girl) does a phenomenal job of illustrating the actual vibe and atmosphere of "middle America." Not some romanticized or generic version of it. The real shit: Boring landscapes dotted with sleepy houses, farm animals and bland commerce, populated by miserable people kind of fumbling through life. I absolutely love it. It reminds me a lot of how effective season 1 of True Detective was at showing the deep South in all its glory.
  • The mom (Patricia Clarkson, who is awesome in everything) reminded me so much of my own mother that it made me a bit uncomfortable for Amy Adams' character. Looking forward to seeing what is behind that dynamic.

Flynn is really a brilliant writer. As well as her full length novels, I also enjoyed her short story in Rogues. And looking it up quickly, I see she is showrunning Utopia on Amazon which has suddenly become a must watch for me!

Wikipedia (I know I know) also lists Flynn as the writer for a few episodes which is all to the good

On 7/13/2018 at 3:22 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

Patricia Clarkson really is just absolutely bloody fantastic in everything she does. 

She is indeed. Amy Adams too; knew she was talented but something about her performance in episode one really worked for me and I dunno, almost made me forget I was watching someone act if that makes any sense at all? 

It didn't grab me like Westworld did, and I have a strong hunch of how it will all work out in the end, but I am a sucker for atmospheric, noirish type of stuff, so I will keep watching.  And I agree w/everyone else that Patricia Clarkson is a fucking boss....although I was a little unsure of what the symbolism of candles being lighted all over the house was supposed to be, beyond I guess, she needs everything bright to detract from the dark corners of her denial, but that many candles in a house that big...fire hazard:)

1 hour ago, kairparavel said:

It's my favourite GF book but I don't think I can handle the claustrophobic anxiety and grimness of it on screen right now. I'm feeling pretty bleak catching up on Handmaid's Tale.

That’s fair. I still haven’t finished the second half of the new Twin Peaks and it must be like...a year now. I was watching it alongside the 1st season of Handmaids Tale and it was just too much for me...too depressing. 

13 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

That’s fair. I still haven’t finished the second half of the new Twin Peaks and it must be like...a year now. I was watching it alongside the 1st season of Handmaids Tale and it was just too much for me...too depressing. 

You’re not missing much, unfortunately. 

I would like to say that I plan on just watching the first couple of episodes and then deciding on whether or not to watch the show depending on if I like it...... but that'd just be a lie. Who am I kidding? I'm watching the whole season even if it takes a massive downhill turn in quality. I've watched one episode, I'm committed now.

5 hours ago, kairparavel said:

It's my favourite GF book but I don't think I can handle the claustrophobic anxiety and grimness of it on screen right now. I'm feeling pretty bleak catching up on Handmaid's Tale.

That’s a fair position. The Handmaid’s Tale had a brilliant first season but was very difficult to watch. Perhaps that’s why I keep putting off the second season. Anyway, I can definitely see why you wouldn’t want to watch this at the same time, there’s only so much bleakness you can handle 

Archived