HBO's Sharp Objects

Theda Baratheon

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Really? :( that’s a shame 

I don't know... I had mixed feelings about TP: The Return, but there are many who think it was fantastic, and others who hated it. It's pretty polarizing. But you definitely need to see it if you are a fan and decide how you feel. 
It definitely took some chances, especially with the ending... it was really surprising, and I don't know how to feel about it.

On 7/11/2018 at 10:03 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

So...sharp objects and hidden words...

The first episode is incredibly compelling; I'm a big fan of Adams and this looks like an incredibly meaty role for her to play. 

Things this episode does so right:

• seemless flashbacks that integrate smoothly into the present...just like real memories do. 
  • kid actors that look like their adult counterparts
  • dialogue: ''Old money and trash...'' 
  • a brilliant portrayal of the compulsion behind self harm and self destructive behaviours...spot the negative words in the background and give me the number you end up with. 
  • a compelling story that you want to see unfold.

This HBO series is based on a book, one I haven't read, and will avoid spoilers from the book here please. 

Am interested to see everyone else's thoughts...

Also...my number is 5. 

I must have missed something in the premiere, since I have no idea what that bit about no 5 is referring to. 

I also only noticed 'vanish' - which is what she carved into her skin as well, and no other words.

I already have a suspect... but I feel that the murder mystery may not be a be all and end all of this story. it's more of a character-based psychological drama.

It was so weird, after what  we're used to watching in Hollywood movies and the USA we (the rest of the world) get about it, to see this small southern town in the present (or just a few years before - I don't know what year it is supposed to be, but the Obama poster at least puts it roughly in this decade) where 'old money' still has a black maidservant, and people are so openly and blatantly homophobic.

When Ann Nash's dad was talking about the killer and referring to the killer as "he", I was thinking "why does he assume it's a he? It could also be a she". But that's probably what they all tend to assume.

It's hard not to notice that the murdered girls all look kind of like Marian/Amma/young Camille.

I have just watched the first episode (it does seem my HBO GO is not useless) and it was bloody fantastic. Clarkson nailed her role, Adams, as always, is also superb. Haven't read the book so I am looking forward not to be spoiled.

As for the tone... It is grim. Not The Handmaid's Tale grim and not there's something under the carpet grim like Big Little Lies but it does play between what you can easily observe and what is hidden.

16 hours ago, kairparavel said:

It's my favourite GF book but I don't think I can handle the claustrophobic anxiety and grimness of it on screen right now. I'm feeling pretty bleak catching up on Handmaid's Tale.

I still haven't been able to watch The Handmaid's Tale at all. I was so excited when it was being made into a show. But I just CANNOT deal with watching it all that horror unfold on screen.

I am excite for ep 2 tonight.

8 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I already have a suspect... but I feel that the murder mystery may not be a be all and end all of this story. it's more of a character-based psychological drama.

When Ann Nash's dad was talking about the killer and referring to the killer as "he", I was thinking "why does he assume it's a he? It could also be a she". But that's probably what they all tend to assume.

I also have a suspect in mind and it’s not a “he”. They seem to be pushing that the killer could only be male a little too much it seems. Could obviously just be misdirection though.

Intriguing first two episodes. I feel like I need to rewatch them as I probably missed a few things too.

I'm hooked too.  I did read the book, and it's my favorite of GF's.   So far, they're adhering pretty closely to the atmosphere of the book, if not the small details. 

I wouldn't get too caught up in who done it.  It's the journey, not the destination.   Also, might I say that I am completely charmed by the actress who plays young Camille - Sophia Lillis.  Last saw her in the remake of "It" as the young girl member of the Losers Club. 

22 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

I must have missed something in the premiere, since I have no idea what that bit about no 5 is referring to. 

I also only noticed 'vanish' - which is what she carved into her skin as well, and no other words.

I already have a suspect... but I feel that the murder mystery may not be a be all and end all of this story. it's more of a character-based psychological drama.

It was so weird, after what  we're used to watching in Hollywood movies and the USA we (the rest of the world) get about it, to see this small southern town in the present (or just a few years before - I don't know what year it is supposed to be, but the Obama poster at least puts it roughly in this decade) where 'old money' still has a black maidservant, and people are so openly and blatantly homophobic.

It's hard not to notice that the murdered girls all look kind of like Marian/Amma/young Camille.

“Dirt” is written on her car one second and one second gone 

“bad” is scrawled onto her desk in her apartment 

“wrong” flashes up on her car radio

”yelp” is behind the police officer who finds the second dead girl 

“girl” is written on the painting in her half sisters doll house and isn’t there the next moment 

and of course “vanish” on her skin as well as lots of other words by the look of it 

Another strong episode. Loved the bit where she releases the 'pet spider'.

I thought that the first time I saw a word scratched into her car door it was 'SCARED' but the second time it was 'SACRED'. Did I just read it wrong the first time?

This is quite difficult to watch alongside someone who has a phobia about needles.

8 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

“Dirt” is written on her car one second and one second gone 

“bad” is scrawled onto her desk in her apartment 

“wrong” flashes up on her car radio

”yelp” is behind the police officer who finds the second dead girl 

“girl” is written on the painting in her half sisters doll house and isn’t there the next moment 

and of course “vanish” on her skin as well as lots of other words by the look of it 

Wasn't "scared" or "scarred" on the car in episode 2 as well? 

I must goes check! Be back in 45. 

Edit: Isis saw it too, so at least I'm not seeing things. I'll check both scenes to see if the word changes or not. 

33 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Wasn't "scared" or "scarred" on the car in episode 2 as well? 

I must goes check! Be back in 45. 

Edit: Isis saw it too, so at least I'm not seeing things. I'll check both scenes to see if the word changes or not. 

Scared first -- I think that's the cuts she has on her wrist -- and then later it appeared as sacred for a moment. 

Have people noted the license plates outside of the house at the funeral? PUN ISH, TAN GLE, were two. I think one I could barely read was OBA JFK, not sure. I don't know what to make of that, but she did raise the specter of JFK when she referred to John's girlfriend Ashley as Jackie O. And of course she had the Obama poster in her office.

I am just half way through ep 2, by the by, but have to same I'm very taken with it. Good on Marti Noxon!

2 hours ago, Switzeran said:

Scared first -- I think that's the cuts she has on her wrist -- and then later it appeared as sacred for a moment. 

Yep. I just finished checking and it's scared first and then sacred.

Probably, but it only shows the first 3 letters, so there's a chance the wrist is "scarred".

Edit: Thank you, unsung hero.

Ok, watching Ep 1 and 2 right now and was seeing all the words and wondering if they are real or just for the viewer, wanted to see what people here thought. Got a little confused with the two girls, thought the littler one was Amy Adams, Back to the episode

Well I am hooked already. Too obvious to have the Sheriff using pliers to straighten a bent sign just after pliers are talked about. Then the woman in white and the mother seems obvious as well. As someone else said the story is more the town than the murders.

Scary part is this town seems so much like any number of small towns I have lived in growing up.

Enjoyed the first episode. I really like how they merge flashbacks with the present scene. It's eery and an excellent shorthand for showing a haunted past.

I didn't realise how much the kid from IT resembled Amy Adams until now.

It’s weird - it’s  not fun and there’s no luck thrilling things keeping me hooked but I an hooked on this already. Very intrigued. I like the detective. 

Wonder what Tangle and Punish meant on the car number plates. 

Interesting to see scared, sacred and possible ‘scarred’ 

On 7/19/2018 at 5:29 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

It’s weird - it’s  not fun and there’s no luck thrilling things keeping me hooked but I an hooked on this already. Very intrigued. I like the detective. 

Wonder what Tangle and Punish meant on the car number plates. 

Interesting to see scared, sacred and possible ‘scarred’ 

I think "vanish" appeared on her forearm in the very last scene closing Ep 1(?) in the bath.

Archived