HBO's Sharp Objects

Theda Baratheon

The mother is such a complete hag - 'ooh, please do me the honour of having a drink with me, I am so vulnerable and needy' ...AND BY THE WAY 'you were always so cold, which you get from your father, and I guess that's why I've never loved you'. 

I guess she'd probably be ok if Camille killed herself because she could just use it as a way to get even more attention from people.

And oh my god, all the continuing nonsense with her 'injured' hand, where even the woman at the clothes shop said, 'ooh, how's your hand?' And then it conveniently starts bleeding again anytime she needs some sympathy. Jesus. I so want someone to just tell her, you're fucking ridiculous; you're a massive vulture, and you ruin everything you touch. 

3 hours ago, Isis said:

The mother is such a complete hag - 'ooh, please do me the honour of having a drink with me, I am so vulnerable and needy' ...AND BY THE WAY 'you were always so cold, which you get from your father, and I guess that's why I've never loved you'. 

I guess she'd probably be ok if Camille killed herself because she could just use it as a way to get even more attention from people.

And oh my god, all the continuing nonsense with her 'injured' hand, where even the woman at the clothes shop said, 'ooh, how's your hand?' And then it conveniently starts bleeding again anytime she needs some sympathy. Jesus. I so want someone to just tell her, you're fucking ridiculous; you're a massive vulture, and you ruin everything you touch. 

Honestly, the portrayal of the mother is just brilliant. She's so, so awful. But in such a subtle, insidious way. Like you would never realise unless you lived with her how terrible of an influence she must be on her close family. Poor Camille. And in that sentiment...I guess poor Amma too. And Marian.

Finally caught up after missing a couple of live episodes. 

Adora is an astonishingly awful person and by that same token a great character who I love to hate. Her foremost drive in life is gaining the attention and sympathy of others through manipulative means. How creepy was it when she snared Richard and drew him into her lair, right under Camille's nose. 

I continue to be very impressed by how effectively this show portrays small town life in the US. 

• Adora gets away with being an absolute shit because she is a big fish in a tiny pond. As ridiculous as it sounds, that pig farming operation drives the entire economy of Wind Gap, Get on Adora's bad side at your peril. 
  • The Calhoun Day stuff was brilliant. Hokey confederacy worship, the gaggle of jealous loser men teasing Richard (equaled by the gaggle of gossipy loser women tormenting Camille). Just awesome. This could be set in virtually any small town south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
  • Speaking of gossip, secrets in small towns are never really secrets. Everyone already knows Adora is crazy, they know about her "relationship" with the Chief, they know Amma lives a bit on the wild side. And since they've stuck around for all of it, they all know a lot more than Camille (a relative "outsider" since moving away) does. 

I'm still not sure at this point who the killer is. I've got some ideas, but each episode challenges those just a bit. 

52 minutes ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Finally caught up after missing a couple of live episodes. 

Adora is an astonishingly awful person and by that same token a great character who I love to hate. Her foremost drive in life is gaining the attention and sympathy of others through manipulative means. How creepy was it when she snared Richard and drew him into her lair, right under Camille's nose. 

I continue to be very impressed by how effectively this show portrays small town life in the US. 

• Adora gets away with being an absolute shit because she is a big fish in a tiny pond. As ridiculous as it sounds, that pig farming operation drives the entire economy of Wind Gap, Get on Adora's bad side at your peril. 
  • The Calhoun Day stuff was brilliant. Hokey confederacy worship, the gaggle of jealous loser men teasing Richard (equaled by the gaggle of gossipy loser women tormenting Camille). Just awesome. This could be set in virtually any small town south of the Mason-Dixon Line.
  • Speaking of gossip, secrets in small towns are never really secrets. Everyone already knows Adora is crazy, they know about her "relationship" with the Chief, they know Amma lives a bit on the wild side. And since they've stuck around for all of it, they all know a lot more than Camille (a relative "outsider" since moving away) does. 

I'm still not sure at this point who the killer is. I've got some ideas, but each episode challenges those just a bit. 

Agree 100% on this point, seems like each episode leads us toward someone else. This week felt a little different and wasn't real obvious who they wanted us to think it was. So my weekly guesses are the music teacher and the cheerleader. Maybe the teacher scorned Emma because he "liked" the first girl more, or she slept with him and found out he was also sleeping with her?  The cheerleader...well she seems to want to be in control of the town next. Maybe the first girl was a rival cheeleader(really weak reason I admit) and the boyfriends sister was just so she could play the sympathetic girl friend and get attention, much like the mother.

If you are keeping score I have said they have pointed us at everyone except Camille. So it's definitely Camille! 

5 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Agree 100% on this point, seems like each episode leads us toward someone else. This week felt a little different and wasn't real obvious who they wanted us to think it was. So my weekly guesses are the music teacher and the cheerleader. Maybe the teacher scorned Emma because he "liked" the first girl more, or she slept with him and found out he was also sleeping with her?  The cheerleader...well she seems to want to be in control of the town next. Maybe the first girl was a rival cheeleader(really weak reason I admit) and the boyfriends sister was just so she could play the sympathetic girl friend and get attention, much like the mother.

If you are keeping score I have said they have pointed us at everyone except Camille. So it's definitely Camille! 

I think the girls who were killed, Natalie and Anne were a few years younger than the teens we’ve seen in the show so far 

1 minute ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I think the girls who were killed, Natalie and Anne were a few years younger than the teens we’ve seen in the show so far 

Emma just said in the last episode that they were friends but stopped hanging out last year. The brother of the dead girl said the same thing the week before, that the three of them were best friends and used to play in that creepy shed in the woods. That's when Camille freaked out and took off.

9 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Emma just said in the last episode that they were friends but stopped hanging out last year. The brother of the dead girl said the same thing the week before, that the three of them were best friends and used to play in that creepy shed in the woods. That's when Camille freaked out and took off.

Oh that’s a good point I forgot Amma knew them as well as Adora. I don’t think the cheerleader would have much concern for them though - as she’s older than Amma 

1 minute ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Oh that’s a good point I forgot Amma knew them as well as Adora. I don’t think the cheerleader would have much concern for them though - as she’s older than Amma 

Yeah I just felt like if I didn't fall for two new suspects each week I wouldn't be doing my job! I truly don't have an actual suspect yet.

I feel It's gotta be either Adora or Amma, but they did point out you'd need a lot of strength to remove someone's teeth with pliers. Maybe a member of Camille's family working with the weird music teacher? 

30 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Yeah I just felt like if I didn't fall for two new suspects each week I wouldn't be doing my job! I truly don't have an actual suspect yet.

Lol sorry! I don’t want to take away your whodunnit fun - that’s partly why shows like this are so engrossing !! It’s definitely changing perspectives on who did it each week 

I'm thinking either Adora or Amma, despite the teeth pulling fact they added a few episodes back. Amma yelling at that detective "you wouldn't know who did it bla bla bla" in that night scene seemed like taunting with something behind it. So maybe it was her (and friends). Or maybe it was the mother and she happened witness it. But that step father (Alan?) seems off too.. real guilty-like. So maybe he would fit the teeth-pulling strength criteria. That "guilty-like" demeanor could be a bunch of other things or mean nothing at all.. And so could the sociopathic vibes from Adora and that angry/jealous vibe from Amma. The white lady stuff would make a case for the perpetrator to be one of the women tho.

I haven't really suspected anyone else but these three so far. I really hope the killer's been introduced already and won't be an unknown.

I wouldn't rule out Amma or Adora (or any woman for that matter) based on the teeth pulling thing. Sure it takes some force but the show makes it sound like you need to be a burly man to pull out human teeth which is simply not true. My sister-in-law is a tiny little bird who is a dentist and has no trouble extracting teeth.

11 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

I wouldn't rule out Amma or Adora (or any woman for that matter) based on the teeth pulling thing. Sure it takes some force but the show makes it sound like you need to be a burly man to pull out human teeth which is simply not true. My sister-in-law is a tiny little bird who is a dentist and has no trouble extracting teeth.

Yeah, that's one presumption made in the show which I don't agree with either.

A dentist will also tell you that a young person's teeth are easier to pull out because they're not yet as likely to be rooted into the jaw. 

My gut tells me it's the Adora but it seems too obvious.

She would fit the lady in white decription

She lost her beloved child who was just about the same age as the two victims

She clearly has some mental issues

She was close to the two girls. Maybe the first victim was growing up and no longer willing to be a living baby doll like Amma does? The second victim was done differently so maybe she did that to draw attention away from the first, or, since we know the second victim has anger issues of her own, stabbed a kid in the eye, maybe she was going to tell on Adora and paid the price? Maybe she knew a dirty secret about Amma and Adora thought it would ruin her reputation so killing the girl was justified in her head?

Agreed on Alan. They're all odd birds but his odd is just a little different than the rest. The only time we've really seen his blood start to boil is when Adora was talking to the chief. Not sure if that is out of jealousy with the flirting, or out of fear of what she might tell him. E5's pace was great. Felt like something was going to happen at every turn during the Calhoun event. 

5 hours ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

Yeah, that's one presumption made in the show which I don't agree with either.

A dentist will also tell you that a young person's teeth are easier to pull out because they're not yet as likely to be rooted into the jaw. 

Good point, maybe that was just to throw us off. Pulling a dead pig's teeth out probably isn't analogous to pulling a child's out. 

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

If it is someone that we've already seen, then Alan seems the most likely candidate, IMO.

I mean, it better be someone we've already seen. If it turns out to be a random mexican or trucker that's gonna be extremely disappointing. 

13 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Agreed on Alan. They're all odd birds but his odd is just a little different than the rest. The only time we've really seen his blood start to boil is when Adora was talking to the chief. Not sure if that is out of jealousy with the flirting, or out of fear of what she might tell him. E5's pace was great. Felt like something was going to happen at every turn during the Calhoun event. 

My money is also on Alan having at least some involvement. 

• As you say, he is perhaps the oddest character in a story full of them, which can't be a coincidence.
  • His record player has symbolic meaning of some sort. It's the first thing shown in the intro credits, and the song changes for each episode. 
  • Alan and Adora's relationship is very strange. He seems utterly devoted to her, as if he would do anything she required of him, despite the fact she shows him no affection and little recognition. 
  • "Do you need me to do anything for you tonight?" There was a really weird tension between them in that scene. On the surface he would appear to be talking about sex (??) but who knows what other things she's needed him to do (help kill a teenage girl or two?).

They alluded to it being Alan in Ep 4 I think? When Camille and K.C. were talking about who they think did it, they specifically mentioned the staging of the 2nd victim being someone who feels powerless trying to show he has power, then cut directly to Alan waiting on Adora hand and foot.

However I don't think it's him. Camilles' memories of him were kind. In the episode where they show he mom blowing off her birthday he was there with a cake for her. Maybe, maybe, he covered it up, but I can't see him participating.

Archived