HBO's Sharp Objects

Theda Baratheon

This show is excellent. The relationship (or lack thereof) between Camille and Adora (you can’t really call her her mother can you?) is so twisted. Patricia Clarkson and Amy Adams are killing these roles. The scene this episode “that’s why I could never love you” was awful. Just as you start to think maybe there can be some relationship between them you realise nope just more manipulation and salt in the wound. 

Amma seeing Camille’s scars was a pretty difficult scene to watch too

Is it just me, or is the show possibly addressing what I felt like was a dropped sub-plot in the books? 

Not sure if it’s a spoiler or not, so just to be safe...

Spoiler

Is the show addressing who Camille’s father is? I had my suspicions in the book, but I feel even more “sure” about it in the show. 

Well another creepy episode. To me it seems pretty clear the mother did it and likely killed her own daughter as well. Too many signs pointing to her loving the attention she got for her daughter being sick and dying. It was pretty telling when Emma said something about how the best part of getting this wasted was Adora nursing her back to health. Then K.C. asking about the sisters death and an autopsy, not to mention the ghosts of the girls all seeming to warn Camille to get out of there. Like she subconsciously knows that her mom did these things but is using the ghosts to tell her conscious self.

I think the cheerleader ear thing might be a small red herring, seems too obvious. Maybe she had the same experience in the woods that Camille had.

Pretty cool opening with everyone waking up. Showing the "kept" dad sleeping in the den on a hide a bed couch, the man who does everything for his wife and gets no appreciation for it, then the cop who's wife clearly adores him and does everything for him and she gets the cold shoulder each day. Meanwhile his wife and her husband have a clear thing for each other.

I’m really loving the parts that are either elaborating on areas of the book or are straying into new territory because the stuff from the book is exactly the same - getting dejavu watching it because it’s exactly how I imagined reading it. I like that there’s a balance. Adora really is just awful. 

10 hours ago, dbunting said:

Well another creepy episode. To me it seems pretty clear the mother did it and likely killed her own daughter as well. Too many signs pointing to her loving the attention she got for her daughter being sick and dying. It was pretty telling when Emma said something about how the best part of getting this wasted was Adora nursing her back to health. Then K.C. asking about the sisters death and an autopsy, not to mention the ghosts of the girls all seeming to warn Camille to get out of there. Like she subconsciously knows that her mom did these things but is using the ghosts to tell her conscious self.

I think the cheerleader ear thing might be a small red herring, seems too obvious. Maybe she had the same experience in the woods that Camille had.

Pretty cool opening with everyone waking up. Showing the "kept" dad sleeping in the den on a hide a bed couch, the man who does everything for his wife and gets no appreciation for it, then the cop who's wife clearly adores him and does everything for him and she gets the cold shoulder each day. Meanwhile his wife and her husband have a clear thing for each other.

It seems like the middle daughter died of illness, and she still had her teeth in the funeral scenes so that'd be quite a change of M.O. (For a while I was thinking the scene where she was ill and seizing was a red herring and she got taken out by a truck while roller-skating with Camile and that was why Adora hated Camile so much, but that does not seem to be the case.) 

Plus Adora wouldn't really get attention for the deaths of Ann(a?) and Natalie, would she? You'd think she'd have killed Amma or Camile years ago if that was her motive. 

The ear thing may be a red herring but it got me considering Ashley as a suspect. There's a certain twisted logic to "you bite me I remove your teeth." Plus didn't she find blood in her guest house and scramble to clean it in one episode? All that stuff about how murdering would make you popular, and her being obsessed with popularity I dunno I'm leaning towards her or psycho Amma. Like the Richard said the teeth pulling was some kinda personal "I hate you" type thing and I don't see that from an attention seeking Adora.

13 hours ago, RumHam said:

It seems like the middle daughter died of illness, and she still had her teeth in the funeral scenes so that'd be quite a change of M.O. (For a while I was thinking the scene where she was ill and seizing was a red herring and she got taken out by a truck while roller-skating with Camile and that was why Adora hated Camile so much, but that does not seem to be the case.) 

Plus Adora wouldn't really get attention for the deaths of Ann(a?) and Natalie, would she? You'd think she'd have killed Amma or Camile years ago if that was her motive. 

The ear thing may be a red herring but it got me considering Ashley as a suspect. There's a certain twisted logic to "you bite me I remove your teeth." Plus didn't she find blood in her guest house and scramble to clean it in one episode? All that stuff about how murdering would make you popular, and her being obsessed with popularity I dunno I'm leaning towards her or psycho Amma. Like the Richard said the teeth pulling was some kinda personal "I hate you" type thing and I don't see that from an attention seeking Adora.

Adora craves attention, and there is a medical term for what I mean, something munchuasen by proxy (and yes it's in an Eminem song)? Where a paternal person (usually the mother) seeks attention they receive due to a sick child. Like the kid was really sick once, so people come and give attention and offer condolences, then once the kid gets better the person craves it and will fake a childs illness or make them sick themselves. Adora have a small scrape/cut from a rose thorn and the whole town knows about it and ask her if she's ok...not normal.

Now 100% I could have flipped the red herrings. The cheerleader is f@cked up for sure and seeking popularity/attention, found blood in her room, would be jealous of the sister for sure. And absolutely removing the teeth of the girl who bit part of your ear off would be calculated to hide the evidence. But...a bite wound generally gets terribly infected and she would have to have seen a doctor. Plus it looked like an old scar, definitely not anything new enough to be a few weeks old. It was the same skin tone as the rest of her ear and body and fully healed. I have to say I would be a bit disappointed in the show if that is the case. That the girl bit off a good sized portion of her ear lobe, and NOBODY, not parents, teachers, no one notices after a second murder that this girl has this injury.

On 8/13/2018 at 11:15 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

I’m really loving the parts that are either elaborating on areas of the book or are straying into new territory because the stuff from the book is exactly the same - getting dejavu watching it because it’s exactly how I imagined reading it. I like that there’s a balance. Adora really is just awful. 

Adora is easily one of the most detestable characters I’ve ever read or seen on tv yet she is always a believable kind of hateful rather than being ott 

21 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Adora is easily one of the most detestable characters I’ve ever read or seen on tv yet she is always a believable kind of hateful rather than being ott 

That’s why she’s so awful and monstrous!! Because she’s so believable!! There’s probably loads of women like her!! She isn’t a cartoon villain 

1 hour ago, Whiskeyjack said:

This show is so good, and so tense.  But yeah, uncomfortable is the right word.  Feel like I'm holding my breath the entire time I watch it, just waiting for the hammer to fall.

I'm genuinely quite nervous for the last episode lol.

15 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I'll kind of be glad it's over although I intend to rewatch.  Have liked this many, many times more than Big Little Lies, which despite it's A listers and production values always felt really pedestrian in content. 

I really, really love Big Little Lies. I think it's excellent but this is certainly much, much darker in content even though the former also deals with some pretty nasty things. It never had the same oppressive quality - probably because the ocean dominates it and is so wild and free, the broken and rusted look of Wind Gap is enough to set your teeth on edge and make you want to claw your skin. 

4 hours ago, Leofric said:

"I see dead people" was the first thing that came to mind when I realized what Adora was doing.

Me too. I guess I should spoiler tag just in case UK people are strangely watching live and decide to check the thread beforehand

I loved the revelation as it seemed obvious in hindsight and I'd never considered it. The masterful thing was how they crafted it so I had enough time to go "oh my god it's Munchausen by proxy" before making it a statement of fact. The mum is absolutely terrifying but so are those around her covering it up and letting her do it. Even the sheriff knows based on his reaction to being told the girl was at home sick (although he's probably in two minds as to how many of them are his daughters)

The direction and use of sound is still very impressive - I can't be the only one who thought she was parked on the railway crossing when she was on the phone to the editor. Such a polished show. Grim as hell but excellent execution.

I didn't understand until now why someone brought up The Sixth Sense. I just read the wikipedia summary. (In my defense Camile does sometimes see dead people.) The only thing that I remembered about that movie was the twist. And that I rented it from Blockbuster. 

The scene with Keene in the hotel was so tense. I wasn't sure what'd be worse Richard seeing her with another man (and suspect) or seeing her scars. Did he see the words carved into her legs? it wasn't clear to me.

Something I just realized this episode, it was the first one in a while where I noticed words on the show. When she was on the phone the building in front of her first said queas... they last part was blocked and the inner fat man in me thought, queso! Then when she pulled away it said Engl ....again the last part was blocked. I had to rewind it to be sure, now I think it was queasy, which of course matched her feelings at the time?

Glad to see my thoughts on the mother was right, as sad as that is. So does the dad know what she is doing, it sure seemed like it. And obviously the cop knows because the nurse said she told the police. Maybe the cop killed the second girl to distract everyone away from suspecting Adora?

When K.C. came into the room he told her they found the girls blood, can't remember her name, where he was staying...how did they already prove it was her blood specifically and not just blood, I think he just assumes it? 

I more than even don't think the mom killed the other two girls though, it doesn't fit with what she does, so it probably was her! In the funeral episode flash back didn't Camille try wiping makeup off her sister because "she would never wear that"? It seemed telling that John mentioned that his sisters nails were painted because "she would never do that". 

Archived