HBO's Sharp Objects

Theda Baratheon

Just binged through "Big little lies" and it's uncanny how similar it is to "sharp objects" - the director really has a distinctive visual/storytelling style. It also cements in my mind how similar Nicole Kidman and Amy Adams can often look to each other.

Only mild criticism which really is mild as the quality of the drama means the surprises aren't essential but I thought it was very predictable

it was pretty obvious one/both of the twins was the bully having seen their dad beating up their mother. Similarly the rapist being the same abusive dad was an option from the offset - I even thought Woodley's character only moved to the village in order to confront him based on her initial reaction to meeting Nicole Kidman

although that could also be due to the events in "sharp objects" priming me. I'd post more but couldn't find the "big little lies" thread via google.

32 minutes ago, red snow said:

Just binged through "Big little lies" and it's uncanny how similar it is to "sharp objects" - the director really has a distinctive visual/storytelling style. It also cements in my mind how similar Nicole Kidman and Amy Adams can often look to each other.

Only mild criticism which really is mild as the quality of the drama means the surprises aren't essential but I thought it was very predictable

Hide contents

it was pretty obvious one/both of the twins was the bully having seen their dad beating up their mother. Similarly the rapist being the same abusive dad was an option from the offset - I even thought Woodley's character only moved to the village in order to confront him based on her initial reaction to meeting Nicole Kidman

although that could also be due to the events in "sharp objects" priming me. I'd post more but couldn't find the "big little lies" thread via google.

We didn’t have a BLL thread.

you might enjoy this! They want to play sisters/mother and daughter at some point :P 

6 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I will start watching BLL ssoon.

It’s excellent. Can’t wait for season 2. 

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

you might enjoy this! They want to play sisters/mother and daughter at some point :P 

MOTHEr and daughter?! They’re practically the same age :lol:

15 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I'm pretty surprised there was never a thread for such a high profile show (and one so good). This is probably part of the reason i didn't watch at the time - thinking it can't be good if no buzz here.

Given the shared director between both shows i imagine whatever the director has planned next could involve Amy Adams and Nicole Kidman as relatives. Although he seems to like working with laura dern and reese Witherspoon (from wild and BLL). I have to admit Witherspoon was excellent and for me stood out in a crowd of great performances. Although woodley also impressed to hold her own with Hollywood heavy hitters who have been around a lot longer.

10 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

It’s excellent. Can’t wait for season 2. 

MOTHEr and daughter?! They’re practically the same age :lol:

I was gonna point out how wrong you'd have to be on that. But then I checked myself, and googled it.

Kidman's 51, which is what I was expecting. But Adams is 44, that is definitely older than I thought she'd be ( mid-late 30's is what I figured).

I watched the first 1 1/2 eps of Sharp Objects flying back into the country this weekend.  Holy cow!  I saw so much I liked -- and not single element of what I liked was discussed in the reviews and recaps I'd read, which is why I hadn't watched it. 

21 hours ago, red snow said:

I'm pretty surprised there was never a thread for such a high profile show (and one so good). This is probably part of the reason i didn't watch at the time - thinking it can't be good if no buzz here.

Given the shared director between both shows i imagine whatever the director has planned next could involve Amy Adams and Nicole Kidman as relatives. Although he seems to like working with laura dern and reese Witherspoon (from wild and BLL). I have to admit Witherspoon was excellent and for me stood out in a crowd of great performances. Although woodley also impressed to hold her own with Hollywood heavy hitters who have been around a lot longer.

I wanted to make a thread for Big Little Lies but I came to it quite late so didn't think there'd be a lot of discussion around it as it was no longer fresh. I LOVED the show. I watched it twice in the space of 2 weeks. I might watch it again soon. I find the ending with the attack interspersed with the crashing waves on the rocks to be truly beautiful. 

15 hours ago, Calibandar said:

I was gonna point out how wrong you'd have to be on that. But then I checked myself, and googled it.

Kidman's 51, which is what I was expecting. But Adams is 44, that is definitely older than I thought she'd be ( mid-late 30's is what I figured).

Yeah there's less than 10 years between them! Mother and daughter would be so jarring to me lol!

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

I watched the first 1 1/2 eps of Sharp Objects flying back into the country this weekend.  Holy cow!  I saw so much I liked -- and not single element of what I liked was discussed in the reviews and recaps I'd read, which is why I hadn't watched it. 

There was so much about this show that I adored and it definitely rewards on repeated viewing - I wasn't smart enough the first time around to pick up on certain details but it really is a fantastic piece of work. 

I wonder if the show was just badly promoted at the time or they assumed the cast was selling the show on its own? Like others mentioned the online presence for the show seemed muted at the time of release. It was really only as i spotted scoring high on end of year lists and then by the association with "sharp objects" that i decided to try it out. Which is bizarre as i wound up watching the whole thing within 24 hours and it's rare a show captures me like that nowadays.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

I wonder if the show was just badly promoted at the time or they assumed the cast was selling the show on its own? Like others mentioned the online presence for the show seemed muted at the time of release. It was really only as i spotted scoring high on end of year lists and then by the association with "sharp objects" that i decided to try it out. Which is bizarre as i wound up watching the whole thing within 24 hours and it's rare a show captures me like that nowadays.

It depends perhaps on where one reads / hears disucssion of television.  NY Magazine, NY Times, Boston Globe, etc., their media / television columnists and recappers covered it and discussed it relentlessly from the gitgo as the best thing since sliced bread Big Little Lies -- and all in terms of focus of special girl feelings, which was what put me off from bothering.

Now, I did like Big Little Lies because I like the actors so much. But I thought the transfer to Malibu Too Rich For Their Own Good White People from Australian Too Rich For Their own Good White People, and a great deal of the characterization of our main roles getting left out -- well the book, I thought, was a lot richer and more satisfying than the US tv series.

16 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Did I read an above post correctly?... there's going to be a season 2 of Sharp Objects?... I thought it all wrapped up.

As with anything else successful it must live on. Would have to be new issue since this was wrapped up.

Season 2 of Big Little Lies too.

They shouldn't.  They really shouldn't.

Both programs worked from adapting well written fiction, which both novels were stand alones and never planned to be anything else.  Now tv has to make it all up, and that doesn't seem to work so well, when it comes to content that started as books.

On 1/14/2019 at 10:48 PM, Zorral said:

But was any of it mentioned/discussed here though?

18 hours ago, Zorral said:

It depends perhaps on where one reads / hears disucssion of television.  NY Magazine, NY Times, Boston Globe, etc., their media / television columnists and recappers covered it and discussed it relentlessly from the gitgo as the best thing since sliced bread Big Little Lies -- and all in terms of focus of special girl feelings, which was what put me off from bothering.

Now, I did like Big Little Lies because I like the actors so much. But I thought the transfer to Malibu Too Rich For Their Own Good White People from Australian Too Rich For Their own Good White People, and a great deal of the characterization of our main roles getting left out -- well the book, I thought, was a lot richer and more satisfying than the US tv series.

Agreed it had a big splashy ad campaign. And it seemed to be about girlfriends rather than relationships. And that didn't really interest me. However, I then kept getting the book recommended to me so I read it and liked it. After that I knew I wanted to see the show but I had to wait for it to come back onto a channel I could watch.

I have only watched three episodes so far but I have QUITE A LOT to say about it. I dunno, could we start a thread now (for the new season ostensibly but with some S1 discussion)?

Count me in the 'why is there another season' camp for both Sharp Objects and Big Little Lies.

55 minutes ago, Isis said:

Agreed it had a big splashy ad campaign. And it seemed to be about girlfriends rather than relationships. And that didn't really interest me. However, I then kept getting the book recommended to me so I read it and liked it. After that I knew I wanted to see the show but I had to wait for it to come back onto a channel I could watch.

I have only watched three episodes so far but I have QUITE A LOT to say about it. I dunno, could we start a thread now (for the new season ostensibly but with some S1 discussion)?

Count me in the 'why is there another season' camp for both Sharp Objects and Big Little Lies.

It seems a lot of us thought it had a rich girlfriends vibe which scared us off.

I think a thread is deserved for season 2 coming. We can use it to discuss season 1 as a lead in.

There's potential for a second season of BLL as there are various character beats and the like to explore without feeling too forced. "sharp objects" seems much harder to justify. I'm not sure they can add any more to those characters (they have less characters to play with in sharp objects too - pretty much mum and 2 daughters)

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

Season 2 of Big Little Lies too.

They shouldn't.  They really shouldn't.

Both programs worked from adapting well written fiction, which both novels were stand alones and never planned to be anything else.  Now tv has to make it all up, and that doesn't seem to work so well, when it comes to content that started as books.

The Leftovers did a good job of it.

29 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I swear there was a forum thread for s1 of Big Little Lies. I remember posting in it weekly.

I thought i'd lurked around it at the time too but it's either impossible to search for or was nuked after too much inactivity between seasons? Usually Google works with "westeros name of show" but all i get are lots of asoiaf conspiracy threads :)

29 minutes ago, red snow said:

I thought i'd lurked around it at the time too but it's either impossible to search for or was nuked after too much inactivity between seasons? Usually Google works with "westeros name of show" but all i get are lots of asoiaf conspiracy threads :)

Yeah the search function was having issues earlier when I was looking for it.

Archived