HBO's Sharp Objects

Theda Baratheon

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I’d say Cary Fukunaga was extremely important to the quality of True Detective season 1. 

I was about to say the same thing especially given he didn't direct season 2.

Great finale. An hour of pure horror. The acting from the core family was exceptional particularly the younger sister who managed to make me feel sorry for her and then terrified of her. Again the show amps up the horror by making sure we know what's coming rather than just going for the reveal allowing everyone to enjoy the dread of where the teeth will be in the house. Too many shows/films just go for the surprise but anticipation of the twist you've worked out can be just as effective. West world should pay attention.

The mid/post credits scenes were chilling.

I don't particularly need a second season as the damage is out the bag. More scope with a prequel but I'm hoping they just leave it be.

I was left wondering whether the mother knew who the killer was. Was she taking the fall for her daughter? Had she always known it was her and was covering for her all along? Was she going overboard on the poisoning because she was punishing her for the murders. Lots of permutations but they work fine as speculation.

Definitely checking out this creative teams upcoming work and will try and keep an eye out for the core female cast. I already knew Amy Adams was good but her "mum" and "sister" were exceptional too. Also need to check Flynn's other adaptations.

2 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Is that really a good thing? It would have been more interesting to see how she deals with it. And they're saying that there won't be a season 2 (which they may change their minds on - but then they would have to add some new plot, not just Camille turning Amma in and what happens later and how Camille deals with it.)

I think it is. I don't need everything spelled out for me and seeing Adams spiral and cut herself again wouldn't be interesting to me.

14 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I think it is. I don't need everything spelled out for me and seeing Adams spiral and cut herself again wouldn't be interesting to me.

It would be interesting to see whether she gets over it eventually and rebuilds her life. But that would require an epilogue of sorts, which, apparently, the book has, according to those who have read it.

25 minutes ago, red snow said:

I was left wondering whether the mother knew who the killer was. Was she taking the fall for her daughter? Had she always known it was her and was covering for her all along? Was she going overboard on the poisoning because she was punishing her for the murders. Lots of permutations but they work fine as speculation.

Adora didn't know. If she was taking the fall for Amma, she wouldn't have pleaded "Not guilty".

1 hour ago, Annara Snow said:

It would be interesting to see whether she gets over it eventually and rebuilds her life. But that would require an epilogue of sorts, which, apparently, the book has, according to those who have read it.

You can choose :)

This series was a fantastic thrill ride from start to finish. Spoiler tags in case someone hasn't seen the ending yet:

Not exactly a "surprise" ending as Amma was one of my top 2 or 3 suspects all along, but the execution of the twist was wholly satisfying nonetheless. I liked how so many signs pointed to Adora being the killer; while she was a vile human being, and certainly poisoned Marian to death all those years ago, the killer of the two girls was her own daughter, an overt psychopath hiding in plain sight. Looking back, it should've been obvious that murder through harsh physical violence wasn't Adora's style. The two girls weren't poisoned, after all. 

Ironic that Camille had been sent from the big city to her home town to report on the murder(s), and unknowingly brought the killer back to St. Louis with her where of course she struck again.

4 hours ago, Annara Snow said:

Is that really a good thing? It would have been more interesting to see how she deals with it. And they're saying that there won't be a season 2 (which they may change their minds on - but then they would have to add some new plot, not just Camille turning Amma in and what happens later and how Camille deals with it.)

Well it’s not as depressing as the books but ending which ends with Camille turning Amma in and cutting again and basically psychologically breaking down and reverting back to a childlike state where Curry and his wife look after her as if she’s a kid. I find that more frustrating and disturbing than the ending we got in the show which was more effective for me. 

Finally found time to watch the finale last night. Absolutely excellent, I was suitably horrified throughout watching the deterioration of Camille under Adora’s ‘care’ and her husband’s passive complicity before moving on to the ending with Amma. I have little to add to what has already been said, but will add my voice to those who liked being left to imagine how Camille would deal with the revelation ourselves.

since I always make a point to praise the performances, I will highlight Eliza Scanlen (Amma) this episode. Brilliant work, especially the chilling delivery of that final line. I hope she has a good career ahead of her (off to a good start, I mean she is already cast in Little Women beside Meryl Streep).

didnt realise she is Australian either

I am in the minority because I thought the final 30 minutes was pretty anticlimatic. At that point I knew for sure it was Amma and was just waiting for the reveal. The only real suspense was whether the new roller skating girl was going to be a part of her new gang or a new victim. When I saw "call mom" written on her hand at the dinner I knew it was game over for her. I knew the doll house would play a part in it but didn't see the teeth thing coming so that was pretty good way to tie in the two houses of horrors.

I was glad I didn't delete it after and for some reason fast forwarded through the credits and got to see the murders, confirming that the other roller girls were a part of it. "they will do anything I ask" came right back to mind.

All in all this was a great surprise show for me. 

I'll just reiterate that the point of the story is not the "surprise," but rather the character/relationship studies.  Camille and her sisters, one alive, one dead; Camille and her boss; Camille and her mom (!); Camille and Richard (KC) and the brother of the murdered girl.  Camille and Wind Gap in general.

Any surprise is just icing on the cake. 

11 hours ago, Tears of Lys said:

I'll just reiterate that the point of the story is not the "surprise," but rather the character/relationship studies.  Camille and her sisters, one alive, one dead; Camille and her boss; Camille and her mom (!); Camille and Richard (KC) and the brother of the murdered girl.  Camille and Wind Gap in general.

Any surprise is just icing on the cake. 

Absolutely agreed. 

So was there anything in the books regarding "call mom" on the new friends hand at the dinner table? It was written to be read by someone else, not her, so was it a signal to Camille or just more visuals for us to enjoy?

7 hours ago, dbunting said:

So was there anything in the books regarding "call mom" on the new friends hand at the dinner table? It was written to be read by someone else, not her, so was it a signal to Camille or just more visuals for us to enjoy?

I think it might have been a call for help for Camille - it isn’t mentioned in the book but Camille does get along well with this girl and Amma is very jealous. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I've finally finished watching this show.:commie:

Wow, it was great. It was a little bit slow at the start, but since I like this type of shows, it was not bad. The atmosphere of the town and the different roles people are playing was very interesting, like a tale of customs and traditions. A little bit creepy sometimes, but also realistic. And the immersion into these multiple (unnecessary to some type of viewers, not me though) layers makes it more difficult to focus on the little hints to discover the truth. Which is great. Lots of character development. Or...rather, discovering about the characters's minds in a very gradual way.

The show made it quite obvious to me

Spoiler

who the best candidate to being the murderer was, but at the same time, it did it even better to make me dismiss this character later on.

The psychology of the characters is beatifuly depicted.

Oh, and they could not have found a better actress for young Camille!

I finally got around to watching "gone girl" at the weekend. The DNA is very similar but I'd give sharp objects the edge. The author is clearly very good at the genre and those adapting them too.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

I finally got around to watching "gone girl" at the weekend. The DNA is very similar but I'd give sharp objects the edge. The author is clearly very good at the genre and those adapting them too.

Sharp Objects feels a bit more serious and darker than Gone Girl. I'm not sure which one I prefer, but they are both good.

I haven't read the books so I don't know how accurate they are, although since Gillian Flynn wrote the scripts I imagine they are reasonably accurate.

Has anyone seen the film adaptation of Dark Places?  It doesn't seem to have such a good reputation as the others.

Archived