HBO's Sharp Objects

Theda Baratheon

I've got say I really enjoy the nasty girl roller skating angle here. Even though it feels improbable for people to get around that way, i.e. go long distances on skates as that relies on the quality of surfaces being smooth enough. If you've ever tried skating on shitty surfaces you'll know how tiresome it is. It's not fun in the slightest. Yet, they make it look SO FUN. lol

Nice mid-season cliff-hanger there with everyone heading toward some kind of chaotic scene. :cheers:

19 minutes ago, Isis said:

I've got say I really enjoy the nasty girl roller skating angle here. Even though it feels improbable for people to get around that way, i.e. go long distances on skates as that relies on the quality of surfaces being smooth enough. If you've ever tried skating on shitty surfaces you'll know how tiresome it is. It's not fun in the slightest. Yet, they make it look SO FUN. lol

Nice mid-season cliff-hanger there with everyone heading toward some kind of chaotic scene. :cheers:

The skating reminds me of the anime "paranoia agent" where the antagonist was a teenage roller skater. Very sinister.

There was a lot more movement on the whodunnit front this week.

Really like the little deviations to the book - I won’t say what they are but for some reason even though there’s some truly disturbing nasty things in the book I’m actually finding it more difficult and uncomfortable to watch than I did to read. 

The girl who plays young Camille could easily be a young Amy Adams. It’s almost eerie how alike they look. She’s also has very strong performances in the scenes she is in. 

This has fast become my most anticipated weekly show. A lot of the scenes make me uncomfortable but very much a show that’s sinks its hooks in.

5 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I couldn't tell. As Adams is running down the stairs, is the apparition sitting on the couch supposed to be her sister? Or the Woman in White?

I thought it was her sister, but was not sure. Actually, I thought it was Amma in white-not that she is the white woman, just as some other hint. However, I have been meaning to go back and rewatch that scene again. 

44 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

I thought it was her sister, but was not sure. Actually, I thought it was Amma in white-not that she is the white woman, just as some other hint. However, I have been meaning to go back and rewatch that scene again. 

6 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

I couldn't tell. As Adams is running down the stairs, is the apparition sitting on the couch supposed to be her sister? Or the Woman in White?

It’s Alice I think. Her room mate in the hospital who killed herself.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:01 PM, Theda Baratheon said:

It’s Alice I think. Her room mate in the hospital who killed herself.

Thanks. For whatever reason HBO GO dims the screen whenever you pause a scene to study it. Makes catching details in this show a real pain. 

Edit: Insta Karma. I bitch about HBO GO, and the relative who's account I used cancels their subscription the next day. Guess I'll have to get my own again. 

Another strong episode.

And another week where there were signs to point to a suspect(s). When Her and the cop were talking and one of them was talking about removing the teeth being a power move, from a man who feels powerless...then they cut to the dad again. In this episode more than most he seems relegated to butler duties. Cut my food small, get the sheriff (who he clearly is jealous of) a drink, go away so we can talk... 

And what was with the blood under the bed, my assumption is it's just from him being in a rush and not cleaning up from the slaughter house but the GF likely assumes it was a victims blood. Interesting how she cleans it up. Are we to think she did the killing and just now saw the blood or that she thinks she is being a good gf by covering for a murdering bf? 

Also, so the second victim once stabbed a girl in the eye for taking her pencil? 

And did Emma(?) sleep with the oh so brooding music teacher?

Last one, how weird was it seeing the mom who is so conservative and the daughter (sort of) dancing to Tupac?????? 

2 hours ago, dbunting said:

Another strong episode.

And another week where there were signs to point to a suspect(s). When Her and the cop were talking and one of them was talking about removing the teeth being a power move, from a man who feels powerless...then they cut to the dad again. In this episode more than most he seems relegated to butler duties. Cut my food small, get the sheriff (who he clearly is jealous of) a drink, go away so we can talk... 

And what was with the blood under the bed, my assumption is it's just from him being in a rush and not cleaning up from the slaughter house but the GF likely assumes it was a victims blood. Interesting how she cleans it up. Are we to think she did the killing and just now saw the blood or that she thinks she is being a good gf by covering for a murdering bf? 

Also, so the second victim once stabbed a girl in the eye for taking her pencil? 

And did Emma(?) sleep with the oh so brooding music teacher?

Last one, how weird was it seeing the mom who is so conservative and the daughter (sort of) dancing to Tupac?????? 

Yes Natalie Keene, the second victim attacked a classmate which is why the family moved to Wind Gap two years prior and why the police are so keen (haha) to pin it on John so it means a true Wind Gap person didn’t do it, an outsider did. 

I think Amma is just a little creep who loves to push everyone’s buttons. 

Hahah yeah that was quite funny. They have such a different relationship to Camille and her mother - it’s sad. 

“You smell ripe” how scathing. 

14 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Yes Natalie Keene, the second victim attacked a classmate which is why the family moved to Wind Gap two years prior and why the police are so keen (haha) to pin it on John so it means a true Wind Gap person didn’t do it, an outsider did. 

I think Amma is just a little creep who loves to push everyone’s buttons. 

Hahah yeah that was quite funny. They have such a different relationship to Camille and her mother - it’s sad. 

“You smell ripe” how scathing. 

Camille and her mother had that strained relationship even in the flashback scenes. The mother clearly favored the younger daughter who died. Any chance we find out that Camille was the result of the mom being raped in the woods like they keep alluding to with Camille? I am probably looking too deep it just rang strange especially when Camille mentioned to her mom how young she was when she became a mom, and how she was also looking to please her mother. Although the mom did say that she hoped her mother would be proud of her for having a baby...who knows..

On 8/1/2018 at 9:10 AM, dbunting said:

The two daughters have taken different paths in their relationship with their mother. Camille just did whatever she wanted with little artifice (i.e. she didn't hide her nature or pretend to be something she wasn't, which makes it sadder as she is rejected (by her mother) for being herself)*. Amma has chosen (presumably in response to what happened to her older sisters) to play the docile, spoiled pet daughter who follows her mother's rules and gets what she wants. The flip side of that is that her hidden side is an attempt to follow in Camille's footsteps by being a bad girl, even 'badder' than Camille - because she is living in her shadow. Amma even plays off against Camille, showing off the 'loving relationship' she has with her mother to hurt Camille - because she's jealous of Camille and is competing with her. That's stupid  and ultimately short-sighted but what other example has she been set, other than interacting with people by damaging them?

*also her self-harm is clearly a response to her absolutely fucked up relationship with her mother. but instead of acknowledging any responsibility for this, her mother uses it to punish her further.

Binged this last weekend and loved it. I should have just waited until it was done though. 

The entire thing is very well done and I like (how apart from one flash in the premier to make sure the viewer knows who Amma is (The Wire did kinda the same thing only that one time in the first episode)))  the show does not care if the viewer knows wtf. Like the whole Calhoon day thing and play. (Unless I missed something) we see Amma presenting her modern version of the play and talking about how history was written by men before we hear the horrific story that inspires the whole thing.

I was so confused during the Alice/institution flashbacks at first. 

(there's also something going on with that music teacher. He stormed out of the bar early on when the other guys were harassing camile. Then he told Amma "you can't change history" and as of this last episode it seemed like he was one of the guys who assaulted Camile but actually has regret about it.)

Deadwood was kinda the same way in that it didn't really care if everything made sense to the viewer the first time they watched it. (Lynch of course doesn't care if you ever make sense of it.) I've missed this kinda storytelling. 

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Binged this last weekend and loved it. I should have just waited until it was done though. 

The entire thing is very well done and I like (how apart from one flash in the premier to make sure the viewer knows who Amma is (The Wire did kinda the same thing only that one time in the first episode)))  the show does not care if the viewer knows wtf. Like the whole Calhoon day thing and play. (Unless I missed something) we see Amma presenting her modern version of the play and talking about how history was written by men before we hear the horrific story that inspires the whole thing.

I was so confused during the Alice/institution flashbacks at first. 

(there's also something going on with that music teacher. He stormed out of the bar early on when the other guys were harassing camile. Then he told Amma "you can't change history" and as of this last episode it seemed like he was one of the guys who assaulted Camile but actually has regret about it.)

Deadwood was kinda the same way in that it didn't really care if everything made sense to the viewer the first time they watched it. (Lynch of course doesn't care if you ever make sense of it.) I've missed this kinda storytelling. 

Nothing on right now can top Legion as far as not knowing wtf is going on most of the time. :lol:

49 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Nothing on right now can top Legion as far as not knowing wtf is going on most of the time. :lol:

That show is nuts and I love it but I'm almost dreading season three after that ending. 

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

That show is nuts and I love it but I'm almost dreading season three after that ending. 

Really hope it doesn't go "Hannibal season 3" as, while I enjoyed the season as a whole, can totally understand how it drove viewers away and contributed to cancellation.

Sharp objects is easy to follow by comparison.

The show is so well put together. Every time I heard the hog roast knives being sharpened at the party the tension increased. It's those little details that make the show a joy to watch.

And the mother is such a brilliantly loathsome character. Her cruelty and hypocrisy is infuriating and I really want someone to call her out. Would love Adam's character to reply with a "there will be blood" style comeback of "thank God there's none of me in you" every time her mum makes some negative comment about her being her dad's child.

Also a serious wicker man vibe from the town after the whole reenactment of their founding story. Watching teenagers simulate rape? Wtf? Also makes me wonder if that's what happened to Camille in the woods a reenactment of the founding story? But it says a lot about the town as a whole's mentality.

So another layer of the onion that is Camille and her mothers relationship gets peeled back and makes you want to cry. First the humiliation at the store by exposing Camilles' secret, then just coldly telling her, "that is why I never loved you".... I keep thinking that Camille was the result of her mother being violated in some way and that is why the mother has disdain for her and her father and why she never told her anything about him.

So the whole town reenacts a rape each year using children and no one seems to think this is not a good idea? I mean, they all have to know about the other thing that happens with a cheerleader in the woods. From the flash backs and what the way they talk it seems like a known thing to everyone? Or do they all blame the girl?

So from the preview, was that Emma and Camille kissing? Seemed like it was Camille doing the skating and such with her.

Archived