Am I alone in not believing what Littlefinger says about the Vale lords because it seems like it

The WolfSpider

3 hours ago, The WolfSpider said:

It alienates her in that if she decided to try to do her own thing rather than go along with Littlefinger she would absolutely not work with Harlan and Lyn because they are tied to him if only by his own words. Nothing to do with being gay. I've said this already. If you're not trolling I apologize but neither are you reading what I'm saying. 

Again, to isolate her

I don't see why she would work with Harlan in the first place.  She has never met him, and has no reason for any interest in him, and his castle is in the wrong direction in any case.  And I don't recall Harlan mentioned as a LF supporter.

As for Lyn Corbray, Sansa herself figured out, based on her own observations, that he was working for Littlefinger.  Littlefinger merely confirmed it.   The purpose of this scene is to show how much Sansa's abilities at observation and analysis have advanced since AGOT.  It wouldn't even have occurred to AGOT Sansa that Lyn was an agent provocateur.  

If she does seek out Lyn, or anybody else for help, it will be because she has determined, based on her own observation and sources of information, that he can be trusted.  She won't rely on Littlefinger.  She doesn't trust him and never has.  Although I don't know if Littlefinger has figured that out 

1 hour ago, Nevets said:

I don't see why she would work with Harlan in the first place.  She has never met him, and has no reason for any interest in him, and his castle is in the wrong direction in any case.  And I don't recall Harlan mentioned as a LF supporter.

As for Lyn Corbray, Sansa herself figured out, based on her own observations, that he was working for Littlefinger.  Littlefinger merely confirmed it.   The purpose of this scene is to show how much Sansa's abilities at observation and analysis have advanced since AGOT.  It wouldn't even have occurred to AGOT Sansa that Lyn was an agent provocateur.  

If she does seek out Lyn, or anybody else for help, it will be because she has determined, based on her own observation and sources of information, that he can be trusted.  She won't rely on Littlefinger.  She doesn't trust him and never has.  Although I don't know if Littlefinger has figured that out 

He's planned several moves ahead as always. I think we can all agree that he does that.  That's why my ears prick up when he "gifts" her with information and I question it. 

After him saying that about Lyn now if she were to observe him and think him trustworthy she would be forced to 2nd guess that and possibly even discount her observations. That makes this a clever move by a clever man, if true.  

Truthfully I don't remember if it happened as you say, but whether it was improvisation or premeditation the motive plays out the same. And if he is Littlefingers man and Littlefinger plies him with gold & boys why is he always broke?  He seems too austere to be blowing it on wine or gambling and the boys are provided, right? 

33 minutes ago, The WolfSpider said:

And if he is Littlefingers man and Littlefinger plies him with gold & boys why is he always broke? 

We have seen zero indication that he's always broke, like the pedo accusation I think that is more you jumping to conclusion that is never stated in the book.

What he wants are his brothers lands and titles, the House itself is  not actually rich but then Lords are not merchants, they don't need to be liquid to be powerful and influential. 

Eon Hunter was even older than Jon Arryn had been, half-crippled by gout, and cursed with three quarrelsome sons, each more grasping than the last. Ser Lyn was a different sort of folly; lean and handsome, heir to an ancient but impoverished house, but vain, reckless, hot-tempered … and, it was whispered, notoriously uninterested in the intimate charms of women. A Game of Thrones - Catelyn VII

The author/Cat had told the reader about both Lyn's sexual preference and the animosity between the Hunter brothers in the very first book,  long before Sansa sets foot in the VALE and interestingly he calls them 'grasping' which is one of the reasons you were convinced it had to have been the Freys who were responsible. 

5 minutes ago, The WolfSpider said:

Lyn is a thin man.[2] He is handsome, but vain, reckless and hot-tempered.[3] He has shoulder-length brown hair.[4] Lyn is often short of money.[5] It is said that Lyn is uninterested in women.[3][5] According to Petyr Baelish, Lyn likes "boys".[4]

per the Wiki of Ice and Fire.  When will you tire of this Bernie?

ah good point,

"Do you think if I asked nicely Ser Lyn would kill my suitors for me?"
"He might, for a plump bag of gold." Ser Lyn Corbray was forever desperately short of coin, all the Vale knew that.
"Alas, all I have is a plump pair of teats. Though with Ser Lyn, a plump sausage under my skirts would serve me better."

however it should also be noted that Corbray, as far as we know, has only done one job for Littlefinger and that was towards the end of AFFC (the year 300), so obviously his reputation is going to be that of someone who is constantly broke

1 hour ago, The WolfSpider said:

He's planned several moves ahead as always. I think we can all agree that he does that.  That's why my ears prick up when he "gifts" her with information and I question it. 

After him saying that about Lyn now if she were to observe him and think him trustworthy she would be forced to 2nd guess that and possibly even discount her observations. That makes this a clever move by a clever man, if true.  

Truthfully I don't remember if it happened as you say, but whether it was improvisation or premeditation the motive plays out the same. And if he is Littlefingers man and Littlefinger plies him with gold & boys why is he always broke?  He seems too austere to be blowing it on wine or gambling and the boys are provided, right? 

"And Sir Lyn Corbray?"

The candlelight was dancing in his eyes,  "Ser Lyn will remain my implacable enemy.  He will speak of me with scon and loathing to every man he meets, and lend his sword to every secret plot to bring me down."

That was when her suspicion turned to certainty.  "And how shall you reward him for this service?"

Littlefinger laughed aloud.  "With gold and boys and promises, of course.  Ser Lyn is a man of simple tastes, my sweetling.  all he likes is gold and boys and killing."

AFFC - Alayne I

Definitely not premeditated.  And I see no reason to doubt what he says.  And given that she figured it out on her own, I don't think that anything Littlefinger said would affect whether she went to him for help.  And as someone above pointed out, if he was really worried, he would try to keep her from people like Yohn Royce or Lady Waynwood, who might actually be potential allies.

He seems to regard Sansa as his protege, and likely as a future lover/wife, which is probably why he is telling her stuff.  This is his blind spot and will prove to be his undoing.

Corbray is described as handsome, but vain, reckless and hot-tempered.  Doesn't sound all that austere to me.  More like someone happy to throw his money away on stupid shit.

A.) Where is it stated this is his first job for Baelish?

B.) Again, you are assuming Baelish told the truth about Lyn working for him, the challenge of which is the point of this post so using it for "proof" is silly.  If history is any guide you will then come back and repeat how others have confirmed what Petyr has said about him, even though it will only be part of what he said.  The irrelevant part. 

C.) I'm sorry but it's obvious you want to argue with me more than anything else and I'm bored with repeating myself to you and so i'm not going to respond to you anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Nevets said:

Definitely not premeditated.  And I see no reason to doubt what he says.  And given that she figured it out on her own, I don't think that anything Littlefinger said would affect whether she went to him for help.  And as someone above pointed out, if he was really worried, he would try to keep her from people like Yohn Royce or Lady Waynwood, who might actually be potential allies.

He seems to regard Sansa as his protege, and likely as a future lover/wife, which is probably why he is telling her stuff.  This is his blind spot and will prove to be his undoing.

Corbray is described as handsome, but vain, reckless and hot-tempered.  Doesn't sound all that austere to me.  More like someone happy to throw his money away on stupid shit.

I agree wholeheartedly Yohn or Waynwood are the obvious choices and I feel certain he has a plan about them and may have already enacted it for all we know. This doesn't work against that and costs him nothing.  

Yeah she may be his blind spot I can see that happening but I could also see this.  He's been manipulating people far longer than she. He thrived in KL with the likes of Varys, Stannis and Cersei.  I don't think she's there yet. 

Austere:  having no comforts or luxuries; harsh or ascetic.

Having no love of money or women sounds just like that. Being vain nor reckless contradict that. 

When GRRM makes it look like something is certain it rarely is. 

A.) Where is it stated this is his first job for Baelish?

Littlefinger previously lived in the capital, what use would he have had for Lyn? 

How long do you think he has been workin for Petyr for? 

B.) Again, you are assuming Baelish told the truth about Lyn working for him, the challenge of which is the point of this post so using it for "proof" is silly. 

I'm not assuming anything, I've not really focused on their partnership I just disagreed with one of your original points  "Lyn Corbray is a kid toucher ". 

If history is any guide you will then come back and repeat how others have confirmed what Petyr has said about him, even though it will only be part of what he said.  The irrelevant part. 

How so? 

C.) I'm sorry but it's obvious you want to argue with me more than anything else and I'm bored with repeating myself to you and so i'm not going to respond to you anymore. 

that is cool, that is your prerogative. 

Archived