U.S. Politics- SCOTUS 2: The Election Strikes Back

Jace, Extat

6 hours ago, Triskjavikson said:

Frank Bruni seems like a Very Serious Person, and Taibbi had a pretty epic takedown of him here.

Feel like I'm always shitting on your sources, and I'm sorry about that, but I absolutely loathe Matt Taibbi.  Have since his days at Rolling Stone and working with Maher, which was over a decade ago now (fuck I'm old).  His accentuated overbite seems to embody his propensity to not only demonize his political opponents, but also his urge to eat them.  Granted, though, he was a trailblazer regarding the toxic internet as it stands - with his consistent faux outrage, knowing disregard for context, and mischaracterization of his political enemies.

46 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Yes, Normal Republican Elites Are a Threat to Democracy

Interesting op-ed.  As to the quoted excerpt - there is no "ordinary give-and-take of democratic politics."  "Democracy," or more precisely defined republics, will and do constantly vary based on the aims of the correspondent constituency.  Because that tends to be fluid, and so as does the "norms" and fair-play practices of any republic.  I don't need proof of this thesis - it is apparent and I entirely agree - which the author weirdly prolonged in presenting a bit (would never send out that to review, and if I did it'd be criticized as a rambling mess), but is this:

The problem with this analysis is simple: “mainstream Democrats” have come to view the Republican Party as a threat to democracy because the Republican Party has come to (correctly) view democracy as a threat to itself. For this reason, the idea that the GOP is a “civic menace” is perfectly reconcilable with a commitment to “the ordinary give-and-take of democratic politics.”

The GOP is indeed an extreme threat.  One that takes extreme measures to counteract.  Anyone that has a problem with that can go to bed.

Just now, DMC said:

The GOP is indeed an extreme threat.  One that takes extreme measures to counteract.  Anyone that has a problem with that can go to bed.

Yup. Things might have to get mighty "uncivil" up in this m***fucker.

Press conference Trump/ May. Trump: Putin would not have dared annect Crimea, had HE (the Donald) been president at the time.

And May nodding at his every word eagerly... I haven't been kind to Merkel, but I much prefer her befuddled look whenever he is speaking in her presence...

Oh, and a new tweet: relationship with Russia is worse than ever, due to US foolishness and witch hunt...

ETA: press conference with T and Putin... T doing the Merkel Triangle of Power! Just sayin' he stole it.

Read a stat today that by 2040 50% of the US population will live in 8 states.  That means 30 percent of the population will control 68% of the US senate.  Couple that with severe gerrymandering in the US house, and the electoral college, and we're looking at a stark reality that the US government will overwhelmingly be controlled by a very distinct minority of voters.

This is a big problem.

1 minute ago, aceluby said:

Read a stat today that by 2040 50% of the US population will live in 8 states.  That means 30 percent of the population will control 68% of the US senate.  Couple that with severe gerrymandering in the US house, and the electoral college, and we're looking at a stark reality that the US government will overwhelmingly be controlled by a very distinct minority of voters.

This is a big problem.

I suspect the US will fall apart completely before equal representation in the US Senate is modified.  The Senate is designed to amplify the power of small States.  That design requires unanimous consent of all States to modify.

6 minutes ago, Scott de Montevideo! said:

I suspect the US will fall apart completely before equal representation in the US Senate is modified.  The Senate is designed to amplify the power of small States.  That design requires unanimous consent of all States to modify.

I understand why the senate is the way it is, the issue is of how exacerbated it will be coupled with house gerrymandering and the electoral college.  A minority of voters will easily be able to control all 3.

14 minutes ago, aceluby said:

This is a big problem.

Yup. We're already seeing it with the popular vote in the last few elections. It's just going to get a whole lot worse, especially as we live in a world of us vs them.

15 minutes ago, aceluby said:

The EC and gerrymandering are problems, but people massing in only a few states doesn't make them particularly worse.  I mean, I guess there are a few states that get 3 EVs that deserve less, but it's not a huge problem.  It's really just the Senate that is an issue. 

16 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I understand why the senate is the way it is, the issue is of how exacerbated it will be coupled with house gerrymandering and the electoral college.  A minority of voters will easily be able to control all 3.

No argument.  I think we need to double (if not triple) the size of the House.  I’d like to see single member districts done away with and a form of State by State proportional representation used in selecting its membership.

Is THIS the Year Arizona Finally Turns Blue?
Democrats have been expecting Barry Goldwater’s home state to flip for years now. Powered by a Latino electorate fired up by Donald Trump, they just might do it — as long as they can actually get them to the polls.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/07/16/deciders-arizona-election-democrats-219008

So Arizona does look increasingly like a battleground after years of wishful thinking on the left, and all it took was the surprise election of a certain Manhattan real estate mogul. But it’s going to take an unprecedented amount of Latino turnout for Democrats to win the big statewide races, and it’s likely to get ugly.

22 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Trump calls the EU "a foe" in a television interview right before Putin summit. Other ramblings included accusing FBI Agent Strzok of plotting actions against him before he was even a candidate for president, continuing to call the Mueller probe a witch hunt and saying the existence of the probe at all hurts the US relationship with Russia, saying that asking Putin to extradite the 12 hackers indicted "hadn't occurred to him", and blaming hacking of the DNC not on Russia, but on the DNC's "bad defenses".

I first thought this was a gag headline from The Onion when I first heard it. We I guess we now know why he refused to say he wouldn’t nuke Europe during the campaign.  

30 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Trump is still questioning whether Russia interfered because of Putin’s strong denials. 

“I don’t know why they would do it”

This press conference was an unmitigated disaster and completely expected from Trump. 

1 minute ago, Morpheus said:

Trump chose Russia and Putin over the U.S,  que the chorus of Republican defenders. Even treason is cool when the SC is on the line.

I read that during the press conference, Trump said Putin offered to send Russian investigators to "help" with the Russian investigation and Trump said it was "an extraordinary idea".  That pee tape HAS to be real. But you are right, Republicans will do nothing since a SC chair is on the line.

2 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Not that McConnell or Ryan will do anything about it. 

Nor will Flake. It'll be the same as it has been. One or two Republican Senators will call out Trump, everyone else will be quiet, McConnell and Ryan will claim not to have seen or read anything and those Senators will continue to vote for Trump's agenda 99% of the time.

Does that mean Flake will vote against mini-Scalia? Not holding my breath. I also saw Rand Paul make some noises, but he'll probably fold as well.

Also, I am keeping track of the generic House ballot, it looks like its about D+8.5-9, which is a clear 2 points gain since say last month. Things are looking up a bit for retaking the House.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Does that mean Flake will vote against mini-Scalia? Not holding my breath. I also saw Rand Paul make some noises, but he'll probably fold as well.

Also, I am keeping track of the generic House ballot, it looks like its about D+8.5-9, which is a clear 2 points gain since say last month. Things are looking up a bit for retaking the House.

No. Flake will not because he's one of the most conservative members of the GOP and will want Kavanaugh on the SCOTUS.

Archived