U.S. Politics- SCOTUS 2: The Election Strikes Back

Jace, Extat

In a normal world I'd share the optimism about the election right now, but this election will not be a normal one. Russia now knows that they can get away with a lot more than they could in 2016, and knows they have a POTUS who will do fucking nothing to stop it. 

I fully expect a number of closer races to have the democratic candidates hacked and doxxed in various ways. I expect leaders at the democratic level (Pelosi, Schumer, Sanders, Gillibrand, Harris) to be targeted and leaked. I expect some states to be compromised, if they haven't been already. 

Then there's the state-by-state levels of interference that are likely to occur. 

I think the most interesting thing about the 2018 election will be how different the polling results look from the actual results. 

24 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

In a normal world I'd share the optimism about the election right now, but this election will not be a normal one. Russia now knows that they can get away with a lot more than they could in 2016, and knows they have a POTUS who will do fucking nothing to stop it. 

I fully expect a number of closer races to have the democratic candidates hacked and doxxed in various ways. I expect leaders at the democratic level (Pelosi, Schumer, Sanders, Gillibrand, Harris) to be targeted and leaked. I expect some states to be compromised, if they haven't been already. 

Then there's the state-by-state levels of interference that are likely to occur. 

I think the most interesting thing about the 2018 election will be how different the polling results look from the actual results. 

The polling miss will be exactly like The 2016 polling misses, key races will all miss be varying amounts but the degree of the miss in every single instance will mysteriously and magically be slightly more than The margin required to avoid an automatic recount.

How many dedicated Russian intelligence personnel do you think will be working full time on hacking and altering election results ? I’d guess they have about five hundred working on it now, but I figure they will ramp up to about 3000 over the next few months. One team of several people per house district, dedicated units to every senate race should give the Russians sub-precinct level control over the results. 

And even then it’s mostly automated, the personnel will be there to provide personalized service I would guess, all the Russians need  is an algorithm that knows what the recount threshold is in each state and then randomly flips just enough votes in the targeted precincts to put the statewide result slightly beyond that threshold . They leave the majority of precincts alone to minimize the footprint and create a natural counter “proof” and narrative that “nothing is wrong here, move along”

at least if I were writing a spy novel that’s how it would go. 

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/russian-national-charged-conspiracy-act-agent-russian-federation-within-united-states

Maria Butina, a Russian gun advocate who once bragged about being involved in comms between the Trump campaign and Russia, has been charged with being an unregistered foreign agent and is being held until her hearing on Wednesday.

This FBI affidavit describes Maria Butina’s efforts on behalf of a Russian govt official to influence American politicians through coordination with a domestic gun rights organization, presumably the NRA.

Wait, what?

2 hours ago, Relic said:

On the bright side..ummm. Sorry, there is no bright side.

But Foxnews.com actually has some critical pieces up on Trump, even tho they are not in the leed. The sad truth is that America needs Rupert Murdoch to step in in order for this charade to end. 

He won't, but hopefully his sons will when they take over the company. I've seen a handful of reports over the last few years that say that's their intention. It will still be a conservative network, but it will focus more on hard journalism and move away from the batsh** crazy aspects of it's programming. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

I feel like it is hard to come up with a charitable interpretation of Trump's policy towards Russia.  I feel like the (best spin for him) reasonable interpretation of what he's doing is that he wants Russia to interfere in the 2018 and 2020 elections, and he's making sure that everyone understands that. 

This interpretation is still really really bad - he's siding with America's enemies against America's Democracy for the sake of his own political gain.  But the alternative is worse (that he's actively compromised by Russia).  The third path of "maybe he just favors Russia and wants to improve relations with them" simply beggars belief.  Even if he wanted to improve relations with Russia, everyone knows acting like a complete doormat is not the way to do it, and he has been going with the doormat approach 100% of the time. 

I think we're past the point of charitable interpretations and rationalizing his actions. If you were compromised by the Russian state, what would you do differently if you were in Trump's place? Because from my perspective, damn near everything Trump has done helps further Putin's goals. 

I fail to see what the Russians (or anyone) could have on him that would actually make his base turn away from him and the republican party take action against him. Pee tapes? Shady business? Collusion? Dancing naked in a gay bar? It would all be explained away, so...

5 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

I fail to see what the Russians (or anyone) could have on him that would actually make his base turn away from him and the republican party take action against him. Pee tapes? Shady business? Collusion? Dancing naked in a gay bar? It would all be explained away, so...

Maybe a video of him burning Bibles while watching a woman have an abortion?

Just now, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

"He doesn't want the Lord's words tainted by the witnessing of said murder. He's watching himself to intercept the siiiiiin, just like Jesus."

Meanwhile, Jace is quite annoyed at the homepage of CNN. All kinds of puff pieces about Republicans standing up to Trump.

2 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Ah, he could always repent, publicly cry like a televangelist and find God, or something.

Trump doesn't care what others think of him, so the Russians must have something that will undermine Trump's image of himself.  Either pictures of him before his combover is in place in the morning or copies of his tax returns proving he was never a billionaire.

2 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

Martell Spy...Do you think Putin spent 2 hours spanking Trump?

Trump has really left me no alternative but to believe that Big Daddy Putin gave him the smack down. We just saw the President of the United States completely owned. It was like when the Prime Minister of the UK was forced to fuck a pig on live television. Except that happened in Black Mirror and that is fiction.

For the past several decades, the United States has largely behaved like a status quo power. The US has long been the world’s richest, most militarily powerful, and most diplomatically influential country on Earth; the centerpiece of its global strategy has been to maintain this position of strength. That’s why the US didn’t tear up the NATO alliance after its original reason for existing, the threat from the Soviet Union, ended; being in a tight military alliance with a number of the world’s wealthiest and most powerful countries helped the US cement its dominance and deter potential rivals from challenging American power.

Russia under Putin is perhaps the world’s most ambitious revisionist power. Putin’s goal is to make Russia the kind of world power it was during the Soviet era; he’s been willing to aggressively deploy the Russian military (in Ukraine and Syria) and intelligence services (in Western Europe and the United States) in service of this aim. This fundamental tension, between Moscow’s revisionism and Washington’s defense of the status quo, led to a collapse in US-Russia relations during the late Obama administration.

Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, and America’s “geopolitical suicide”
The Trump-Putin meeting reveals how Trump is killing American power.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/16/17577096/trump-putin-meeting-nato

Of all the things I wasn't able to imagine -- that the rethugs, as eviLe and assholery as they are -- that they'd just sit by and allow the POTUS to sell the USA to Russia.  Never ever in my most conspiratorial imaginings did I imagine this.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Of all the things I wasn't able to imagine -- that the rethugs, as eviLe and assholery as they are -- that they'd just sit by and allow the POTUS to sell the USA to Russia.  Never ever in my most conspiratorial imaginings did I imagine this.

Well, sure. They and their political masters are getting a cut.

Archived