U.S. Politics- SCOTUS 2: The Election Strikes Back

Jace, Extat

5 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin, and America’s “geopolitical suicide”
The Trump-Putin meeting reveals how Trump is killing American power.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/7/16/17577096/trump-putin-meeting-nato

I would not object to the decline of US power, especially given vast amount of harm American foreign adventurism and meddling has caused since the end of WWII.   The way this is occurring, though, is even worse than the maintenance of the status quo.   The  erosion of long-standing alliances and artificial creation of economic tensions threaten a structure that has provided the basis for stability and cooperation in several parts of the world.  All the while US military spending is being increased even as our international military commitments seem to be waning. And all this gives greater scope to such bad actors such as Russia (which of course the whole point of this farce).    There is the possibility that the long-term impact may yet be positive.  A less dominate US may, under future administrations, might have to come to terms with being one of a community rather than the 800 lb gorilla sitting at the table.  Most likely, though, increased international tension, especially with leaders like Putin more free to act, will lead to crisis with the potential for catastrophic turns (read another world war).  

53 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Trump has really left me no alternative but to believe that Big Daddy Putin gave him the smack down. We just saw the President of the United States completely owned. It was like when the Prime Minister of the UK was forced to fuck a pig on live television. Except that happened in Black Mirror and that is fiction.

Putin reminded Trump that he Putin, owns him and refreshed his memory as to why and how he owns him.  Perhaps Putin reiterated to Trump, that he has the power and the will to bring down really bad shit on Trump and the family at any time, including a reminder that he could have his daughters raped on a whim.  Just a little ass-chewing from the boss to keep him humble.

16 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess one might hold out some hope that one of the translators will spill the beans.

Nah, the translators most likely had to sign voluminous NDA's, in English and Russian.

We watch Black Mirror whenever we want to see something mind bending, but the first show with the pig, makes me shy to recommend it!

Yes, Trump looked cowed, and he continued to kiss Putin’s ass through the presser. Weak! Bigly weak. And it would make a perfect Movie about how a president is blackmailed into special treatment for a murderous tyrant.

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

Putin probably wanted a witness to what Trump said in the meeting.

While that's humorous, the fact that Putin thinks it's some kind of Power Play to not speak languages he understands is far more pathetic.

22 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Nah, the translators most likely had to sign voluminous NDA's, in English and Russian.

Sure, but some people are willing to break an agreement to expose the truth. Though I imagine the only translator Trump would allow for himself would be a true believer. And whoever Putin used would also be a true believer, and would know that not only would the translator die, but probably a chunk of their family as well.

3 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

I fail to see what the Russians (or anyone) could have on him that would actually make his base turn away from him and the republican party take action against him. Pee tapes? Shady business? Collusion? Dancing naked in a gay bar? It would all be explained away, so...

This. 

Evangelicals and others aren't with Trump because he shares their values; they're with him because he shares their policies. They expect him to be the horrible apostate sinner who is doing the Lord's work. This works right into it. 

21 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Yeah, the unwavering mindless support reminds of what Trump’s harshest critic said during the election: he could shoot someone in broad daylight and they’d still support him. 

There has to be something else though, doesn't there?  I mean, conservatives get everything they want and more if Trump is removed and Pence is put in place...hell, they'd get a Justice with even stronger conservative credentials and the exact same runner stamp for all their little tax games...

12 minutes ago, Rakib Altinin 1974 said:

There has to be something else though, doesn't there?  I mean, conservatives get everything they want and more if Trump is removed and Pence is put in place...hell, they'd get a Justice with even stronger conservative credentials and the exact same runner stamp for all their little tax games...

That is the thing that's upsetting. That they are so corrupt that they're not willing to endure five minutes of criticism to achieve the same end goal with slightly more national security.

1 hour ago, Triskjavikson said:

That's one of the outcomes that I fear:  that somehow the Turtle completely threads the needle and somehow Trump is removed but the establishment Republicans win everything else and highjack democracy.  We cool relations with Russia again but most Americans are fucked.  

If the inmates have taken over the asylum, does it really matter who the head inmate is?

Archived