U.S. Politics- SCOTUS 2: The Election Strikes Back

Jace, Extat

53 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

Slippery and slimey one too.

A classic kiss-up kick-down shitheel. He looked like Putin had his shriveled testicles in a very tiny vise. A cowardly little shit overcompensating for the fear and insecurities that drive his life.

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Does anyone, of whatever persuasion, honestly believe that the orange nazi and his brigades are in control of Putin????????

Jace -- are you thinking of US Robert Kagan, the notable neocon bs-er?  Because while military historian, Brit John Keegan, was surely a conservative, because, you know, military, whether a soldier or not, as Keegan is the first to speak of, are always conservatives, I don't think his career shows him as a goofball neocon.  Well he did make a dog's brekkie of ihs history of the US War of Rebellion, but he died, maybe even before he could proof it?  He also limped.  Robert Kagan is still, alas, with us, and doesn't limp.

I'm thinking of John Keegan. The revisionist 'historian'.

The only good thing I can say about the man is that he was appropriately hostile to the leadership of the first World War.

The Real Threat to American Democracy Isn’t Russia. It’s the Right.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/the-real-threat-to-american-democracy-is-the-right.html

In short, beyond holding an advantage in the House even before the recent wave of Republican gerrymandering, the most conservative regions of the country—places more white, more male, and more rural than the country at large—have and will continue to hold a lock on the United States Senate that will grow ever more absurd as the the country’s actual population centers grow, a situation that grants them a veto over legislation that the majority of Americans might want, and the power to shape or shrink government programs and initiatives disproportionately needed by women and minorities living in less conservative states.

The composition of the Senate additionally shapes the composition of the Supreme Court, a body whose importance has been brought into relief by the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh and the prospect of a conservative majority on the bench that could last decades. The project of that majority will be advancing constitutional originalism, a perspective on jurisprudence aimed—whenever it suits the conservative movement—at aligning policies impacting Americans in the present with the preferences of elites who represented around six percent of the population over two centuries ago.

1 minute ago, Martell Spy said:

The Real Threat to American Democracy Isn’t Russia. It’s the Right.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/the-real-threat-to-american-democracy-is-the-right.html

Others think so too:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/17/republicans-donald-trump-russia-treachery

Former CIA director John Brennan was the bluntest of all: “Donald Trump’s press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of ‘high crimes & misdemeanors’. It was nothing short of treasonous. Not only were Trump’s comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???”

It's looking more and more like the Polish Magnates who sold out their democracy and nation to Russia, Austria, Prussia, France -- anyone who gave them a title and gold.  By the time it was over so was Poland.  There was no more Poland.  

Mueller seeks immunity for five witnesses against Manafort

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/17/mueller-russia-probe-manafort-witnesses-immunity-727492

Mueller’s prosecutors did not identify the potential witnesses publicly, but said they had indicated they would invoke their Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination unless they were granted immunity.

“The five individuals identified in the motions at issue are third parties who have not been charged in this matter, and who have not been identified publicly with the case,” prosecutors wrote. “Disclosing the motions would reveal those individuals’ involvement in the investigation and the trial, thereby creating the risk of their undue harassment. Such concern potentially would be heightened by the additional revelation that they have invoked their privilege against self-incrimination and may be granted immunity from the use against them of any compelled testimony.”

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'm thinking of John Keegan. The revisionist 'historian'.

The only good thing I can say about the man is that he was appropriately hostile to the leadership of the first World War.

I have heard that.  Alas that I'm not expert enough in these matters to have an opinion, beyond wondering how someone of his generation could possibly have been revisionist about WWII and the nazis, particularly considering how much he admired his father and others who actually served in the army and saw battle.

Anyone who knows academic historians knows how bitter and bloody the internecine battles, rivalries and envies can be, and surely these are no less so among military historians than any others.

I finally got to see the press conference from today and holy hell was Trump all over the place. I think the two highlights had to be when he said that his meeting with Putin was the best part of the trip and when he cracked a joke about the intel community seconds after praising them. The presser did hammer home something we already knew though: if Trump is reading while speaking, those are not his thoughts.

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I have heard that.  Alas that I'm not expert enough in these matters to have an opinion, beyond wondering how someone of his generation could possibly have been revisionist about WWII and the nazis, particularly considering how much he admired his father and others who actually served in the army and saw battle.

Anyone who knows academic historians knows how bitter and bloody the internecine battles, rivalries and envies can be, and surely these are no less so among military historians than any others.

My issues with him don't include dislike of Nazis (I hate Nazis too). He goes to such lengths to justify his preconceived notions on a variety of topics that I find him distasteful.

One easy example would be his demonization of the Germans in WWI. You can see his dislike of the Nazis coloring every word.

Sure, they weren't saints. But give me a fucking break with 'The Rape of Belgium'.

I'll take your word for it (this book is nowhere near the nazis yet, but I can tell he doesn't like german militarizataion -- or anybody's for that matter, that isn't superior Britain's).  But I thought when I looked it up that the others disliked him for being sympathetic to nazis?  Confoosed, not for the first time.  And alas this isn't the forum to ask you to inform me more!

29 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I finally got to see the press conference from today and holy hell was Trump all over the place. I think the two highlights had to be when he said that his meeting with Putin was the best part of the trip and when he cracked a joke about the intel community seconds after praising them. The presser did hammer home something we already knew though: if Trump is reading while speaking, those are not his thoughts.

All we need is to read or hear him to know most of those words used are not in his vocabulary.  Now, "There are lots of people" -- that was his and his alone, and totally his rhetoric.

7 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I'll take your word for it (this book is nowhere near the nazis yet, but I can tell he doesn't like german militarizataion -- or anybody's for that matter, that isn't superior Britain's).  But I thought when I looked it up that the others disliked him for being sympathetic to nazis?  Confoosed, not for the first time.  And alas this isn't the forum to ask you to inform me more!

I'm far from an expert on -anything-, but I've never inferred Nazi sympathies from Keegan. And the whole 'culture influences war' thing to me reads like an attempt to imply British dominance as more than superior Naval and Soldering expertise. I.E. 'Our superiority isn't via military prowess, but rather military prowess is a byproduct of our superiority.'

But I digress.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Does anyone, of whatever persuasion, honestly believe that the orange nazi and his brigades are in control of Putin????????

Why would anyone think that? But historically the US govt has put significant support behind strong man govts in quite a few countries, believing they can effectively control that person for its own purposes.

Gaslight makes everything look better, doesn't it?

"I accept our intelligence community's conclusion that meddling took place," Trump said reading from remarks which came more than a day after he questioned their findings. He added that it "could be other people also. There's a lot of people out there."

His typed prepared remarks included what appeared to be a handwritten note in black marker which read: "There was no collusion."

"I said the word would instead of wouldn't..{comment by LR...:lmao:…}.I think that probably clarifies things pretty good by itself."

At one point, the lights in the White House room went out as Trump made his remarks.

"Oops, they just turned off the light," Trump said, joking: "That must be the intelligence agencies."

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/president-trump-doubles-face-backlash-putin-meeting/story?id=56642768

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I'm far from an expert on -anything-, but I've never inferred Nazi sympathies from Keegan. And the whole 'culture influences war' thing to me reads like an attempt to imply British dominance as more than superior Naval and Soldering expertise. I.E. 'Our superiority isn't via military prowess, but rather military prowess is a byproduct of our superiority.'

But I digress.

Yah, especially now that the anti-enlightenment / science (not the same as tech) / rationality / reason / facts / information / truth / public good  forces seemingly are in the ascendant -- I don't think saying that is a digression. Anyway, thank you for your digression.  I think I'll dump The History of Warfare.  I had hoped maybe this book would help me understand why what's going on is going on, but the more I dug, the less likely that seemed.

Evidently the historians still think his Face of Battle brilliant though.

Yah, depressed as hell.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Yah, especially now that the anti-enlightenment / science (not the same as tech) / rationality / reason / facts / information / truth / public good  forces seemingly are in the ascendant -- I don't think saying that is a digression. Anyway, thank you for your digression.  I think I'll dump The History of Warfare.  I had hoped maybe this book would help me understand why what's going on is going on, but the more I dug, the less likely that seemed.

Evidently the historians still think his Face of Battle brilliant though.

Yah, depressed as hell.

If you ever need anything ruined, I'm here for ya. :commie:

Poll: Corruption message gaining traction against GOP

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/17/corruption-republicans-democrats-poll-728977

The current messaging also looks to portray the GOP tax plan as riddled with loopholes and benefiting only the wealthy. That’s the same plan Republicans are holding up in their reelection campaigns as a major achievement.

Lee pointed to the poll’s four-point Democratic lead on the generic ballot as a notable shift from the last two cycles, where he said Republicans led in the same districts by an average of 14 points.

The Internet-based study showed voters had a high-level of familiarity with Trump’s cabinet and showed particular frustration when asked about pols spending “taxpayer money on perks for themselves” or when they “make policies that help their big campaign donors.”

A majority of voters (56 percent) said that congressional Republicans are not doing enough oversight of the Trump administration — a number that’s even higher among independents (57 percent).

The polling suggested that the Republican tax cuts — and loopholes tapped by some of the same members who voted for the plan — as an area ripe for exploitation.

Of those surveyed, 75 percent responded that it was “serious” or “very serious” that 53 Republicans in Congress would “get an average tax cut of over $200 thousand each from a single loophole they added to the tax bill at the last minute.”

49 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Poll: Corruption message gaining traction against GOP

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/17/corruption-republicans-democrats-poll-728977

So what?  They have the Russians.  They have voter repression up the wazoo.  They have gerrymandering.  They are doing Nothing At All to prevent hacking the midterms or any other term elections.  So, again, we say, So What?  Without pitchforks and storming the WH and putting the Traitor in Chief on trial while burning down Fox, etc., ain't shyte gonna stop any of it. And in the meantime the nazis continue their merry merry way and Own it all.

4 minutes ago, LongRider said:

I hope SNL pulls off a good skit about 45 and Putin's presser.   Might be fun. 

I don't think they're back in session for another few weeks.

There will be a new outrage by then.

Speaking of which, something about kids in cages...

Archived