U.S. Politics- SCOTUS 2: The Election Strikes Back

Jace, Extat

2 hours ago, Rakib Altinin 1974 said:

There has to be something else though, doesn't there?  I mean, conservatives get everything they want and more if Trump is removed and Pence is put in place...hell, they'd get a Justice with even stronger conservative credentials and the exact same runner stamp for all their little tax games...

Gotta vote in November. 

7 hours ago, Leofric said:

Trump doesn't care what others think of him, so the Russians must have something that will undermine Trump's image of himself.  Either pictures of him before his combover is in place in the morning or copies of his tax returns proving he was never a billionaire.

Nah, it's all about money. There probably isn;t a pee tape, but there probably is hundreds of millions of dollars of debt to oligarchs. 

Has anyone read any good, in-depth coverage lately of what's being done to protect the elections? It seems like every once in a while, someone remembers to look up from the fundraising numbers and GCB polls and remind us all that those things might not mean shit in the end, but I don't have any impression of the countermeasures being taken against interference. Like at all.

It's clear that Putin has dirt on Trump.  My money is on money laundering for Russian mafia and oligarchs.  The only question is whether Mueller has found enough evidence to prove it and support a recommendation for impeachment.  That there hasn't been any leaks about Mueller finding this evidence means either that Mueller really hasn't found the evidence or that he's found the evidence but runs a really, really tight ship.  Still, I think it would be extremely difficult to keep news this big under wraps for long, unless the number of people that know about the evidence is very, very small so that the identification of a potential leaker is very high and the penalty for leaking is very high.  Maybe this is the case, but it's impossible to tell one way or the other.  

3 hours ago, Relic said:

Nah, it's all about money. There probably isn;t a pee tape, but there probably is hundreds of millions of dollars of debt to oligarchs. 

There may not be.  Trump may simply be a huge admirer of Putin.

This is a few weeks old, but hey

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fintan-o-toole-trial-runs-for-fascism-are-in-full-flow-1.3543375?mode=amp

To grasp what is going on in the world right now, we need to reflect on two things. One is that we are in a phase of trial runs. The other is that what is being trialled is fascism – a word that should be used carefully but not shirked when it is so clearly on the horizon. Forget “post-fascist” – what we are living with is pre-fascism.

It is easy to dismiss Donald Trump as an ignoramus, not least because he is. But he has an acute understanding of one thing: test marketing. He created himself in the gossip pages of the New York tabloids, where celebrity is manufactured by planting outrageous stories that you can later confirm or deny depending on how they go down. And he recreated himself in reality TV where the storylines can be adjusted according to the ratings. Put something out there, pull it back, adjust, go again.

Fascism doesn’t arise suddenly in an existing democracy. It is not easy to get people to give up their ideas of freedom and civility. You have to do trial runs that, if they are done well, serve two purposes. They get people used to something they may initially recoil from; and they allow you to refine and calibrate. This is what is happening now and we would be fools not to see it.

Article continues in the link

I'm actually really surprised that Trump didn't return Alaska in exchange for some empty words of praise. I already began to picture the press conference afterwards.

"Did you know that Alaska used to belong to Russia? Not many people know that. It has been a tremenduous deal back then. But also a foolish one. We have made some mistakes and things had to be discussed that we should have discussed long ago. President Putin is a strong and powerful leader and he said that I made a great offer. The best one. Maybe the best there ever was. Believe me. In exchange he gave me so many promises, you can't even guess what they are. Even I don't know. This will be a great basis for a lasting friendship. People will be surprised at first, but in the end they will all love it. Like they did at my inauguration. Did you see how big that crowd was?"

Going by the Hannity interview and the Pence comments, it looks like the WH response to this mess will simply be to say, despite the televised evidence, that Trump was very strong and defended American interests, and that he has said that the believes Russia did the thing (not counting all the times he said the opposite). 

2+2=5

3 hours ago, Mudguard said:

It's clear that Putin has dirt on Trump.  My money is on money laundering for Russian mafia and oligarchs.  The only question is whether Mueller has found enough evidence to prove it and support a recommendation for impeachment.  That there hasn't been any leaks about Mueller finding this evidence means either that Mueller really hasn't found the evidence or that he's found the evidence but runs a really, really tight ship.  Still, I think it would be extremely difficult to keep news this big under wraps for long, unless the number of people that know about the evidence is very, very small so that the identification of a potential leaker is very high and the penalty for leaking is very high.  Maybe this is the case, but it's impossible to tell one way or the other.  

Mueller runs a really tight ship. The leaks we've seen so far have mostly come from those who were questioned by Mueller's team and IC documents that were provided to the Senate/House Intelligence Committees. If Mueller's team has evidence that Trump was money laundering, we won't find out until he's ready for us to find out. In every indictment, it's clear Mueller is miles ahead of the public. 

Archived