U.S. Politics- SCOTUS 2: The Election Strikes Back

Jace, Extat

Whoops!

Whether the collaboration impacted any elections is unclear. But at least one campaign consultant adjusted his strategy based on the stolen data set Nevins received. “I did adjust some voting targets based on some data I saw from the leaks,” Anthony Bustamante, who served as a campaign consultant to Republican congressional candidate Brian Mast, told the Journal. Mast won.

G.O.P. Operative Confirms Alleged Russian Hacker Gave Him 2016 Voter Data

Roger Stone wasn’t the only political consultant in touch with Guccifer 2.0 during last year’s election.

by Abigail Tracy, May 25, 2017 5:30 pm

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/05/gop-operative-russian-hacker-gave-him-2016-voter-data

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

In b4 sweatpea with the liberals are violents

If I was in a room with sweatpea I'd show him how violent liberals can be.

With my AWESOME Injustice 2 Catwoman combos, of course!

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

For @Frog Eater, more evidence of international respect for Trump -- a German TV shop subbed in the Trump blimp for Trump in numerous photos from his UK visit:

https://www.thepoke.co.uk/2018/07/13/german-tv-show-goes-viral-replacing-trump-blimp-just-perfect/

Somehow it's more stately and dignified than the subject it mocks. Leaks less hot air, I guess.

I'm listening to NPR's 1A News Roundup, and the host is interviewing British journalists. Their opinion is that while Europeans (but primarily white Europeans) have protested American policies and Presidents before, these protests are different. Even when protesting policies of George Bush, the people in Britain never actually seemed to hate Bush, the journalists argued. What we're seeing with Trump is a whole new level. They hate the man, not the action, so to speak. This was an interesting take in my opinion. Whether or not people overseas hated Bush or not (shoes were thrown), this is a new level of hatred toward the executive of the United States.

5 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

That video reminds me of one of the bigger regrets of my life.  I was in a pub circa 2013 give-or-take, and a fellow at the bar who seemed genial enough at first though a little rough around the edges eventually just broke from casual conversation (not with me) to slam his fist on the bar and say "...and our N***** President!"  And he meant it with all the malice it sounds like it might have contained.  Several people just got up and walked out, and it pains me to this day I didn't fight the guy.  Shame on me.  

If I had a dime for every motherfucker I failed to stab with the shattered ceramic I had within my grip to create, I'd be several hundred thousand dollars in debt for medical bills.

Just remember that feeling of absence to action if the time ever comes that Americans ever choose to take back that which was promised to them at birth.

I should know better than to jump in here, but that is disgusting.  And I’d say the same for anyone whom was sucker punched.  Words are not a reason for violence, period (or as you kids like to say, full stop).  The 1st Amendment protects “hate speech”, SCOTUS ruled on that, I think (not being snarky I don’t read or watch political news anymore).  It’s okay (okay is not the right word, perhaps lawful) to hate people for whatever reason; they’re blond, or better looking than you, or have a nasally voice.  As long as you don’t bring it to violence.  I mean, two of your hero’s said that; violence begets violence, and words are wind.  There is also the old adage of “sticks and stones”, but I’ll wager you guys don’t adhere to such.

Cue Dantegabriel and Kalbear to come in and call me a racist, or a nazi, or a racist nazi.  I’m not sure why those guys hate me, but I agree with their right to do so.

1 minute ago, King Ned Stark said:

I should know better than to jump in here, but that is disgusting.  And I’d say the same for anyone whom was sucker punched.  Words are not a reason for violence, period (or as you kids like to say, full stop).  The 1st Amendment protects “hate speech”, SCOTUS ruled on that, I think (not being snarky I don’t read or watch political news anymore).  It’s okay (okay is not the right word, perhaps lawful) to hate people for whatever reason; they’re blond, or better looking than you, or have a nasally voice.  As long as you don’t bring it to violence.  I mean, two of your hero’s said that; violence begets violence, and words are wind.  There is also the old adage of “sticks and stones”, but I’ll wager you guys don’t adhere to such.

Cue Dantegabriel and Kalbear to come in and call me a racist, or a nazi, or a racist nazi.  I’m not sure why those guys hate me, but I agree with their right to do so.

You didn't summon a Jace, but a Jace will respond nonetheless.

You ain't necessarily a Nazi. Or a Racist. Or even a Racist Nazi.

But words are far more impactful than fists. And they need be responded to with all tools at disposal.

If there's a war to be fought, do it with the weapons left by your enemies.

6 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

But there's a point, I think, where certain language borders on violence, and I don't think that's a radical position.

I don't know whether this is a radical position (it's certainly popular enough on this board), but it is an extremely dangerous one. Think about it: who gets to decide which language is off-limits? There's a wide variety of slurs with several for practically every race, nationality, religion, etc. Are all of them worthy of retaliation with physical violence? And if not, what makes some of them different from others?

Furthermore, keep in mind that, in this country at least, the idea of violence in self-defense is a much less radical one than what you've stated above (unlike your statement, it's a pretty common means of defense in court) and this will eventually occur to the alt-right. A lot of people think that the people who respond to words with violence are fighting against evil and that makes their actions acceptable, but if you consider history, it is far more likely that they're merely providing the fire in which a much greater evil is forged and tempered...

5 minutes ago, Altherion said:

I don't know whether this is a radical position (it's certainly popular enough on this board), but it is an extremely dangerous one. Think about it: who gets to decide which language is off-limits? There's a wide variety of slurs with several for practically every race, nationality, religion, etc. Are all of them worthy of retaliation with physical violence? And if not, what makes some of them different from others?

Furthermore, keep in mind that, in this country at least, the idea of violence in self-defense is a much less radical one than what you've stated above (unlike your statement, it's a pretty common means of defense in court) and this will eventually occur to the alt-right. A lot of people think that the people who respond to words with violence are fighting against evil and that makes their actions acceptable, but if you consider history, it is far more likely that they're merely providing the fire in which a much greater evil is forged and tempered...

BORING

Try harder.

Nazi's already get all the advantages, punching the bitches out is merely an emotional catharsis for the doomed masses.

32 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

I believe in the sincerity of your argument.  And I'm torn on whether violence is the answer and perhaps that's why i balked in my example upthread.

But there's a point, I think, where certain language borders on violence, and I don't think that's a radical position.  Publicly, emphatically, calling someone "n*****" is not expressing an opinion on something.  It's an entirely different animal.  i would expect people to attack me physically if I did it.  

I understand, and I had not read your response while I was typing mine.  I do understand the power of words (Martin, the reason we are all on this forum is an example of that).  Name calling frustrates me, because I think it only has power if you let it.  That’s what I teach my kids, maybe I’m wrong.  

I was a really good basketball player; all-stars, travel teams, AAU.  But before that I had to play at the playground, at the ymca, 3 on 3; because my pops wanted his sons to be good at sports.  And we were.  But I’ve probably experienced more prejudice (I won’t say racism because you guys say they can’t be racist against me) than any white person; and maybe more than the black guys on my team.  They respected alpha type guys.

The best basketball/football player I ever played with saved me twice from getting jumped.  He had letters from colleges from both sports; he ended up robbing a convenient store and doind serious time.  Two other guys that I played with and against; one of them shot the other one in the heart over a drug deal.  These guys were my friends, teammates.  They loved my father because he’s take us to eat after games.  All 3 of those guys spent the night multiple time at my house.  But if I could tell you the times the guys I played sports with saved me, you wouldn’t believe it.  

Like I said, those guys loved my family, and we loved them.  They didn’t commit crimes because of racial issues, they did so because of poverty.  You can say that is a black and white issue; but my father was a father to them, bought them food, sent food home for them.  

Sorry, I rambled on.  Saying the N word is stupid (I personally think one shouldn’t let it get one in an uproar), but it’s stupid and hateful.  I still think the 1st Amendment is more important than personal hate; I’m sure 3 or 4 posters will come along and educate me in my ignorance.

Large chunks of Americans thinks it perfectly okay to kill people over their stuff. I don't know of you personally think that but as long as that remains true complaining about violence over words, which can do far more harm than having your shit taken, seems odd.

It's not ignorance. Kind of... rose colored though, maybe. Because many forms of it incite violence, we have hate speech laws in Canada. Physical violence can also be a crime, mind, but then there's this thing called provocation. The video linked above is problematic [imo] only in that the guy ended up on the tracks.

Depending on circumstance I personally don't have a problem with it. Especially this one. Dude drops the n-bomb and walks away like the other can't do anything -it almost sounds like he's daring the other to at one point- he shouldn't need eyes on the back of his head to see that one coming. 

Justice served.

26 minutes ago, King Ned Stark said:

I understand, and I had not read your response while I was typing mine.  I do understand the power of words (Martin, the reason we are all on this forum is an example of that).  Name calling frustrates me, because I think it only has power if you let it.  That’s what I teach my kids, maybe I’m wrong.  

Words are powerful, words can hurt, and words can destroy lives.  Emotional abuse happens and it only needs words to do it. 

2 hours ago, King Ned Stark said:

Point of order - Hate speech is protected from prosecution byt he state (in a bizzare, and uniquely American way) - that does not mean that it is protected from the consequences of spouting your hatered at the object of your hate.

Of course, the consequence also has consequences. The initial hate speech will (should) be a mitigating factor when it comes to sentencing (but not assessing the guilt of) the assaulter.

TL:DR - It's okay to punch a Nazi; so long as you're willing to pay the (legal) price for doing so.

FTR; Personally, I'm against a violent responce to words; but sometimes the use of words will make me a hypocrite who responds with violence anyway.

Oh (not to KNS) specifically, and the correct version is "Sticks and stones may break my bones; but words can scar forever"

Thought you'd all enjoy this:

www.newsbiscuit.com/2018/07/13/trump-wants-to-open-us-embassy-on-love-island/

Trump wants to open US Embassy on Love Island

Despite saying Theresa May’s Brexit plans make a trade deal with the US difficult, President Donald Trump has said he wants to open diplomatic relations and make a trade deal with Love Island.

Trump, who saw the inexplicably popular ITV programme for the first time on his trip to UK, has voiced his support the show. “I saw this thing last night, and it was great, I mean really great,” he said. “It was called Love Island. I loved it, truly loved it. I was astounded to find out that previous administrations had not opened a US embassy there. I mean that’s bad, truly bad.

“The US needs to have connections with these people. They are young and attractive. I mean, wow! Are they attractive! They are so attractive I’ll probably have to appoint my daughter Ivanka as ambassador, because, y’know, she is attractive too. Very attractive. She’d fit right in.”

He added that the people of the UK could learn something from Love Island. “These people have left the UK to establish an independent island,” he said. “They have done so spectacularly well. I would love to trade with them – especially the one with the blonde hair. Boy, I’d trade with her anytime.”

However the contestants on Love Island looked less keen on the idea. Speaking from beside the pool young Hayley was heard to whisper ‘Trump is quintessentially the modern personification of the patriarchy, as defined in the writings of Greer, de Beauvoir and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. The epitome of mysoginy and white male privilege, his very existence perpetuates oppression by gender, race and economic status.  Oh, and he’s a pig-ugly bastard an’ all.’

1 hour ago, TrueMetis said:

Large chunks of Americans thinks it perfectly okay to kill people over their stuff. I don't know of you personally think that but as long as that remains true complaining about violence over words, which can do far more harm than having your shit taken, seems odd.

That is because Americans as a whole value property over people. That is why when a protest can turn chaotic and into a riot they cry over broken windows of stores more so than they do over the dead body of an innocent person that led to a breaking point. 

A consumrist nation told their status and worth is based upon what they own and how much they make and can buy from how much they make.

1 hour ago, JEORDHl said:

It's not ignorance. Kind of... rose colored though, maybe. Because many forms of it incite violence, we have hate speech laws in Canada. Physical violence can also be a crime, mind, but then there's this thing called provocation. The video linked above is problematic [imo] only in that the guy ended up on the tracks.

Depending on circumstance I personally don't have a problem with it. Especially this one. Dude drops the n-bomb and walks away like the other can't do anything -it almost sounds like he's daring the other to at one point- he shouldn't need eyes on the back of his head to see that one coming. 

Justice served.

40 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Point of order - Hate speech is protected from prosecution byt he state (in a bizzare, and uniquely American way) - that does not mean that it is protected from the consequences of spouting your hatered at the object of your hate.

Of course, the consequence also has consequences. The initial hate speech will (should) be a mitigating factor when it comes to sentencing (but not assessing the guilt of) the assaulter.

TL:DR - It's okay to punch a Nazi; so long as you're willing to pay the (legal) price for doing so.

FTR; Personally, I'm against a violent responce to words; but sometimes the use of words will make me a hypocrite who responds with violence anyway.

Oh (not to KNS) specifically, and the correct version is "Sticks and stones may break my bones; but words can scar forever"

In certain states, hate speech can be considered a fighting / combat word and a violent response like a punch is perfectly justified. 

The guy totally desrved the punches he was hit with, just like every bigot that gets their ass handed to them totally deserves it. 

Not shocked that the typical sympathizers of bigots are crying about it. 

Probably because they use racial slurs and don't want to get smacked in the mouth when caught.

2 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Thought you'd all enjoy this:

www.newsbiscuit.com/2018/07/13/trump-wants-to-open-us-embassy-on-love-island/

I have to confess, for like a second or two, I wondered if this could be real. 

It's not like the actual news are any less crazy. 

Archived