EloImFizzy

R+L=J vs N+A=J (GRRM looses either way)

23 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It was obvious to me too, but not to everyone.  Many readers didn't catch those hints.

Me, I had to google and ended up here. I didn't much appreciate martin's ambiguity and misdirection.

6 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Me, I had to google and ended up here. I didn't much appreciate martin's ambiguity and misdirection.

But that's it. You googled it b/c you thought the marhs wasn't adding up. Same here. And w/ the same result, actually. Read GoT and had a proper bee in my bonet about the whole thing. Yrs later, rereading it, the same thing. Only the 2nd time I google, "Lyanna and Rhaegar Jon Snow and this was hit #1. 

The rest, as they say, is fake history! :D

Posted (edited)

I seem to remember knowing straight away that Jon was not Eddard’s child. And then maybe on the first and half AGOT reread I think is when it started to click for me, or at least make me wonder greatly and fiend for more story (it’s been a long g time. Can’t remember for sure anymore). What happened is in the first reread I noticed the reveal pattern a little more overtly this time around, and then then I noticed right after we got the Eddard chapters about Jon and/or Lyanna, they were almost always followed by a Dany Chapter talking about Rhaegar in some way. I would read a chapter, get to some line about something, brain synapses would snap, and I would start flipping back and forth between chapters to double check my info. And then that’s when the highlighters and post-it flags notes started to happen :lol:

Edited by The Fattest Leech

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

But that's it. You googled it b/c you thought the marhs wasn't adding up. Same here. And w/ the same result, actually. Read GoT and had a proper bee in my bonet about the whole thing. Yrs later, rereading it, the same thing. Only the 2nd time I google, "Lyanna and Rhaegar Jon Snow and this was hit #1. 

The rest, as they say, is fake history! :D

Ummmm, I dunna know. I was right pissed/angry/mad first time through that the wild goose chase -- A, W or the fisherman's daughter was Eddard's baby momma.

I just do not like how martin wrote it. I accept R& L.

Edited by Clegane'sPup

On 7/17/2018 at 2:48 PM, Lady Anna said:

Yeah, I don't get people saying it's not easily detected in the first book when we just need to add up Lyanna and Rhaegar's relationship - whatever it may have been - with Jon's status as a bastard of mysterious maternity. I genuinely believe a first-time reader would pick up on it, especially one who's read a few books before or one who's seen, like, movies.

This was the case for me. I read the books a few months after watching the first two seasons of the show, and shortly after finishing the first book I contemplated on it and realized R+L=J. The only other ideas I came up with independently before discovering the fandom was A+J=T and The Hound as the Gravedigger. 

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Read GoT and had a proper bee in my bonet about the whole thing.  

The same here. I finished reading with a profound sense that something doesn't add up and that I was missing something. So I went on a re-read immediately, focusing less on the current events and paying more attention to Ned's reminiscences and inner monologue, and there it was.

But out of my friends who read AGOT, not one picked on it - they just glossed over it all, too absorbed in the intricacy of the story, and took for granted what Ned said about Wylla. Only one, when cued that there was a mystery, went "aha, then it's the sister and the prince, what's-his-name". Most people just don't pay close attention.