The execution of Janos Slynt was personal and it was not justice.

Apologies, guys, reading and responding has currently become rather time-consuming. I might chime in with some shorter comments, so if you wanted to discuss something specific, just ping me.

One thing I want to adress, though:

A lot has been made from Jon giving supposedly different treatment to Sam or Mance, or that anyone else in Slynt's situation wouldn't have been punished so harshly. The problem is, for a valid comparison, you would need another lordling full of himself, hating Jon's gut, refusing to follow orders and being both arrogant and stupid enough to do so publically even when clearly told that this was the last chance. All the reasoning that Jon has gone through applies to this hypothetical lordling, too. Do you believe the lordling would die just like Slynt? I do, because he would represent exactly the same threat to Jon's authority and to the ability of the Watch to fight the Others.

It can be argued that Jon's decisions, both to off Slynt and to spare Mance, are political - Slynt was detrimental to the Watch, while Mance's abilities and clout could be a huge boon (I'm not talking about the fArya situation here but Mance's influence among the wildlings). That, however, doesn't make the punishment of Slynt unjust, and it doesn't make Jon's decision personal, either. Cold and pragmatic - by all means. But not personal, not revenge-driven. Slynt kept calling Jon "boy" because he failed to realize that the boy had been killed, and the man made a decision that the tough situation required.

23 minutes ago, Ygrain said:

Apologies, guys, reading and responding has currently become rather time-consuming. I might chime in with some shorter comments, so if you wanted to discuss something specific, just ping me.

One thing I want to adress, though:

A lot has been made from Jon giving supposedly different treatment to Sam or Mance, or that anyone else in Slynt's situation wouldn't have been punished so harshly. The problem is, for a valid comparison, you would need another lordling full of himself, hating Jon's gut, refusing to follow orders and being both arrogant and stupid enough to do so publically even when clearly told that this was the last chance. All the reasoning that Jon has gone through applies to this hypothetical lordling, too. Do you believe the lordling would die just like Slynt? I do, because he would represent exactly the same threat to Jon's authority and to the ability of the Watch to fight the Others.

It can be argued that Jon's decisions, both to off Slynt and to spare Mance, are political - Slynt was detrimental to the Watch, while Mance's abilities and clout could be a huge boon (I'm not talking about the fArya situation here but Mance's influence among the wildlings). That, however, doesn't make the punishment of Slynt unjust, and it doesn't make Jon's decision personal, either. Cold and pragmatic - by all means. But not personal, not revenge-driven. Slynt kept calling Jon "boy" because he failed to realize that the boy had been killed, and the man made a decision that the tough situation required.

Jon treated Slynt and Mance differently.  That is fact.  It is also fact that Mance is guilty of worse offenses than Slynt.  I am not attacking.  I'm just saying there is no "supposedly" to it.  Jon used what many critics already said he did, double standards.

Politically?  Mance had no further use (other than his impressive master of disguise ability) because the wildlings are already at the wall.  They're a beaten people with their tails hanging low.  Letting Mance live is actually a danger because he can rally the wildlings to attack the Watch and take control at the Wall.  This person has a track record of gross insubordination, desertion, violence against the Watch.  Slynt has influential friends who can potentially help the Watch.  Slynt is a sane man and he will change his song when he sees enough White Walkers with his own eyes.  Slynt is better PR than the illegitimate son of a man who died for treason.  Jon could have tried to bridge their differences and made use of him.  

5 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

All of a man's crimes were wiped away when he took the black, and all of his allegiances as well, yet he found it hard to think of Janos Slynt as a brother. There is blood between us. 

Well while I don't think this matters, it is important to note the only reason Jon is Lord Commander is that Sam fixed it for him.

A couple of brief comments on this.

Jon's thought is that "he found it hard to think of Slynt as a brother" not that "he found he could not think of Slynt as a brother".  Given their past history it's understandable that he would find it hard but that quote does not support the idea that he didn't grudgingly accept Slynt as a brother.  The whole point about Greyguard is that is exactly what he tried to do but it was Slynt who wouldn't reciprocate.

Jon would never be Lord Commander is Sam had not intervened with Aemon's blessing, that its absolutely true.  Sam acted like a political fixer (of problems) not a rigger (of elections) by persuading both Pyke and Mallister to put their garrisons's votes behind Jon.

At this point Jon wins by a landslide.  The election was certainly keenly contested in it's early stages and was close to deadlock (Stannis locking them in the Hall until they would come to a decision is one of the funniest moments for me :D) but once Jon is put forward as the Eastwatch-Shadow Tower compromise candidate it's a resounding victory.  

1 hour ago, Ygrain said:

Yes, I do. 

And to the underlined, agree wholeheartedly. And that's at the core of the issue here. Slynt's open defiance and insubordination are something the NW doesn't really need at this point. He only does what he does b/c he thinks himself untouchable. After all, he has friends in KL! Cue in Bowie singing Pat Metheny's "this is not... America King's Landing". 

1 hour ago, Ygrain said:

It can be argued that Jon's decisions, both to off Slynt and to spare Mance, are political - Slynt was detrimental to the Watch, while Mance's abilities and clout could be a huge boon (I'm not talking about the fArya situation here but Mance's influence among the wildlings).

One could even argue that many of the LC's decisions are political in one sense or another. Still, it's within the LC's purview to make those decisions. Was Mormont too lenient b/c he tolerated men going after buried treasure? Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't matter, because it was his decision as LC. 

The point here is, was Jon's decision acceptable in-universe? Mind you, I am not going into right or wrong, as those are subjective to a degree. But was it acceptable? And the answer of course is, damn straight it was. So much so that we don't get a peep out of anyone, not even the officers who we know deeply dislike him.

1 hour ago, Ygrain said:

That, however, doesn't make the punishment of Slynt unjust, and it doesn't make Jon's decision personal, either. Cold and pragmatic - by all means. But not personal, not revenge-driven. Slynt kept calling Jon "boy" because he failed to realize that the boy had been killed, and the man made a decision that the tough situation required.

:agree:

It's not at all unjust. It's actually the only way Jon could have acted given the circumstances. 

@Bernie Mac, I have no problems whatsoever w/ people disliking or even hating Jon. I do, however, have a huge problem when people driven by their disliking of a character decide it's fine to ignore the text, deny the evidence, and make shit up to try to support the most moronic and absurd claims. And there are several posters who are doing just that. They want their cake, they want to eat it, and they want to fuck the baker on top of everything else. 

Threads wander. That is what makes them interesting.

Choosing. Not election. According to Aemon a choosing once lasted nearly two years. I wonder if that was for Bloodraven, Qorgyle, or Mormont?

A Storm of Swords - Samwell IV      Ten days is not unduly long. There was once a choosing that lasted near two years, some seven hundred votes. The brothers will come to a decision in their own time."/

I'm thinking that in the above ^ quote the seven hundred votes means how many times the men cast their lots with their stones and such.

1 hour ago, the trees have eyes said:

(Stannis locking them in the Hall until they would come to a decision is one of the funniest moments for me :D)

Thanks for that.     I seem to remember something like that happening. I couldn't find the supporting text.  I found some of Stannis' remarks in SoS Sam V to be quite comical. You and I may be the only two that find Stannis comical. :)

A Storm of Swords - Samwell V    "The singers may do as they like," Stannis snapped. "Spare me your fawning, Janos, it will not serve you." He rose to his feet and frowned at them all. "Lady Melisandre tells me that you have not yet chosen a Lord Commander. I am displeased. How much longer must this folly last?"  <snip>   "Sire," said Bowen Marsh in a defensive tone, "no one has achieved two-thirds of the vote yet. It has only been ten days."   <snip>   "Nine days too long. I have captives to dispose of, a realm to order, a war to fight. Choices must be made, decisions that involve the Wall and the Night's Watch. By rights your Lord Commander should have a voice in those decisions."/

Stannis being Stannis is annoyed that the choosing is taking so long. In the below quote Marsh speaks up for Janos.

A Storm of Swords - Samwell V     Stannis ground his teeth. "It is not my wish to tamper with your rights and traditions. As to royal guidance, Janos, if you mean that I ought to tell your brothers to choose you, have the courage to say so."     That took Lord Janos aback. He smiled uncertainly and began to sweat, but Bowen Marsh beside him said, "Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold, sire?"

This is what fascinates me about this thread. Tyrion sent Slynt to the Wall in disgrace.    Mormont left Marsh in charge at CB. ---- Marsh and men rode from CB to deal with wildlings ---- Marsh left Noye in charge of CB ---- Noye passed leardership on to Jon Snow.  ---- Jon leading the CB men held the Wall against wildling attack.

BUT somehow in this story Slynt and his cronies along with Thorne arrive at CB AND Janos is allowed to take command of CB. Who gave Slynt that authority?

A Storm of Swords - Jon IX    "Ser," snapped the jowly man. "You will address Ser Alliser as ser, and myself as m'lord. I am Janos Slynt, Lord of Harrenhal, and commander here at Castle Black until such time as Bowen Marsh returns with his garrison. You will grant us our courtesies, yes. I will not suffer to hear an anointed knight like the good Ser Alliser mocked by a traitor's bastard."/

Who gave Slynt authority to override Marsh, Noye, Jon?

In this story/saga/tale I gotta say Janos got what was coming to him. Nancy Grace or Jean Pirro might disagree.

@Clegane'sPup, here it is, and it's a good one besides being quite pertinent to the discussion here. Note what Slynt says about being a soldier, and how a solider is most comfortable obeying orders. Also how he brown noses Stannis is quite pathetic, but still a good look into his character.  

ASoS, Samwell V (apologies, the quoted messes the italics up)

“The king was angry. Sam saw that at once.
As the black brothers entered one by one and knelt before him, Stannis shoved away his breakfast of hardbread, salt beef, and boiled eggs, and eyed them coldly. Beside him, the red woman Melisandre looked as if she found the scene amusing.
I have no place here, Sam thought anxiously, when her red eyes fell upon him. Someone had to help Maester Aemon up the steps. Don’t look at me, I’m just the maester’s steward. The others were contenders for the Old Bear’s command, all but Bowen Marsh, who had withdrawn from the contest but remained castellan and Lord Steward. Sam did not understand why Melisandre should seem so interested in him.”

“King Stannis kept the black brothers on their knees for an extraordinarily long time. “Rise,” he said at last. Sam gave Maester Aemon his shoulder to help him back up.
The sound of Lord Janos Slynt clearing his throat broke the strained silence. “Your Grace, let me say how pleased we are to be summoned here. When I saw your banners from the Wall, I knew the realm was saved. ‘There comes a man who neer forgets his duty,’ I said to good Ser Alliser. ‘A strong man, and a true king.’ May I congratulate you on your victory over the savages? The singers will make much of it, I know—”
The singers may do as they like,” Stannis snapped. “Spare me your fawning, Janos, it will not serve you.” He rose to his feet and frowned at them all. “Lady Melisandre tells me that you have not yet chosen a Lord Commander. I am displeased. How much longer must this folly last?”

“Sire,” said Bowen Marsh in a defensive tone, “no one has achieved two-thirds of the vote yet. It has only been ten days.”
“Nine days too long. I have captives to dispose of, a realm to order, a war to fight. Choices must be made, decisions that involve the Wall and the Night’s Watch. By rights your Lord Commander should have a voice in those decisions.”
He should, yes,” said Janos Slynt. “But it must be said. We brothers are only simple soldiers. Soldiers, yes! And Your Grace will know that soldiers are most comfortable taking orders. They would benefit from your royal guidance, it seems to me. For the good of the realm. To help them choose wisely.”q

“The suggestion outraged some of the others. “Do you want the king to wipe our arses for us too?” said Cotter Pyke angrily. “The choice of a Lord Commander belongs to the Sworn Brothers, and to them alone,” insisted Ser Denys Mallister. “If they choose wisely they won’t be choosing me,” moaned Dolorous Edd. Maester Aemon, calm as always, said, “Your Grace, the Night’s Watch has been choosing its own leader since Brandon the Builder raised the Wall. Through Jeor Mormont we have had nine hundred and ninety-seven Lords Commander in unbroken succession, each chosen by the men he would lead, a tradition many thousands of years old.”
Stannis ground his teeth. “It is not my wish to tamper with your rights and traditions. As to royal guidance, Janos, if you mean that I ought to tell your brothers to choose you, have the courage to say so.”

“That took Lord Janos aback. He smiled uncertainly and began to sweat, but Bowen Marsh beside him said, “Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold, sire?”
“Any of you, I would think
. Even the cook.” The look the king gave Slynt was cold. “Janos was hardly the first gold cloak ever to take a bribe, I grant you, but he may have been the first commander to fatten his purse by selling places and promotions. By the end he must have had half the officers in the City Watch paying him part of their wages. Isn’t that so, Janos?”
Slynt’s neck was purpling. “Lies, all lies! A strong man makes enemies, Your Grace knows that, they whisper lies behind your back. Naught was ever proven, not a man came forward . . . ”

“Two men who were prepared to come forward died suddenly on their rounds.” Stannis narrowed his eyes. “Do not trifle with me, my lord. I saw the proof Jon Arryn laid before the small council. If I had been king you would have lost more than your office, I promise you, but Robert shrugged away your little lapses. ‘They all steal,’ I recall him saying. ‘Better a thief we know than one we don’t, the next man might be worse.’ Lord Petyr’s words in my brother’s mouth, I’ll warrant. Littlefinger had a nose for gold, and I’m certain he arranged matters so the crown profited as much from your corruption as you did yourself.”
Lord Slynt’s jowls were quivering, but before he could frame a further protest Maester Aemon said, “Your Grace, by law a man’s past crimes and transgressions are wiped clean when he says his words and becomes a Sworn Brother of the Night’s Watch.”

“I am aware of that. If it happens that Lord Janos here is the best the Night’s Watch can offer, I shall grit my teeth and choke him down. It is naught to me which man of you is chosen, so long as you make a choice. We have a war to fight.”

<snip>

“When King Stannis sheathed the shining sword, the room seemed to grow very dark, despite the sunlight streaming through the window. “Very well, you’ve seen it. You may return to your duties now. And remember what I said. Your brothers will chose a Lord Commander tonight, or I shall make them wish they had.”

18 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

“King Stannis kept the black brothers on their knees for an extraordinarily long time. “Rise,” he said at last. Sam gave Maester Aemon his shoulder to help him back up.
The sound of Lord Janos Slynt clearing his throat broke the strained silence. “Your Grace, let me say how pleased we are to be summoned here. When I saw your banners from the Wall, I knew the realm was saved. ‘There comes a man who neer forgets his duty,’ I said to good Ser Alliser. ‘A strong man, and a true king.’ May I congratulate you on your victory over the savages? The singers will make much of it, I know—”
The singers may do as they like,” Stannis snapped. “Spare me your fawning, Janos, it will not serve you.” He rose to his feet and frowned at them all. “Lady Melisandre tells me that you have not yet chosen a Lord Commander. I am displeased. How much longer must this folly last?”

Aaah, I'd forgotten some of the finer points in this quote.

Well now, if this doesn't show what a frog faced loyalty leaper dear ol'Slynty is, then I don't know what does.

If he was soooo loyal to the Lannisters, and that supposed loyalty could supposedly win the NW some favors, what the hell are we seeing in action here?

Yeah, yeah, lickspittles gotta lickspittle and all.

21 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

“That took Lord Janos aback. He smiled uncertainly and began to sweat, but Bowen Marsh beside him said, “Who better to command the black cloaks than a man who once commanded the gold, sire?”
“Any of you, I would think
. Even the cook.” The look the king gave Slynt was cold. “Janos was hardly the first gold cloak ever to take a bribe, I grant you, but he may have been the first commander to fatten his purse by selling places and promotions. By the end he must have had half the officers in the City Watch paying him part of their wages. Isn’t that so, Janos?”
Slynt’s neck was purpling. “Lies, all lies! A strong man makes enemies, Your Grace knows that, they whisper lies behind your back. Naught was ever proven, not a man came forward . . . ”

Wow, and this really shows the hypocrisy of ol'Slynty as he cries out "lies", even though literally the first thing he does when he meets Jon is lie about Jon and Jon's actions... all because he cannot give up his past and Slynty hates Starks.

Lickspittles gotta lickspittle, I guess?

2 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

Jon's thought is that "he found it hard to think of Slynt as a brother" not that "he found he could not think of Slynt as a brother".  Given their past history it's understandable that he would find it hard but that quote does not support the idea that he didn't grudgingly accept Slynt as a brother.  The whole point about Greyguard is that is exactly what he tried to do but it was Slynt who wouldn't reciprocate.

Jon would never be Lord Commander is Sam had not intervened with Aemon's blessing, that its absolutely true.  Sam acted like a political fixer (of problems) not a rigger (of elections) by persuading both Pyke and Mallister to put their garrisons's votes behind Jon.

At this point Jon wins by a landslide.  The election was certainly keenly contested in it's early stages and was close to deadlock (Stannis locking them in the Hall until they would come to a decision is one of the funniest moments for me :D) but once Jon is put forward as the Eastwatch-Shadow Tower compromise candidate it's a resounding victory.  

Yes, I agree with this (bold) because as has been shown time and again in this thread, Jon gave Janos several chances.

2 hours ago, the trees have eyes said:

Oh, and another thing about Greyguard is that Jon still assigned it to another brother because the right thing to do is to man the wall in as many places as possible. But oops, the author forgot about that and has mean ol'Jon kill Slynty instead.

Slynt made himself miss out on the feeling of actually protecting the realms of men.

A Dance with Dragons - Jon V

By the time the last withered apple had been handed out, the wagons were crowded with wildlings, and they were sixty-three stronger than when the column had set out from Castle Black that morning. "What will you do with them?" Bowen Marsh asked Jon on the ride back up the kingsroad.
"Train them, arm then, and split them up. Send them where they're needed. Eastwatch, the Shadow Tower, Icemark, Greyguard. I mean to open three more forts as well."
The Lord Steward glanced back. "Women too? Our brothers are not accustomed to having women amongst them, my lord. Their vows … there will be fights, rapes …"

A Dance with Dragons - Jon XI

"Aye," declared Old Flint. "You want them in the Gift, that's your folly, but see they don't wander off or I'll send you back their heads. Winter is nigh, I want no more mouths to feed."
"The wildlings will remain upon the Wall," Jon assured them. "Most will be housed in one of our abandoned castles." The Watch now had garrisons at Icemark, Long Barrow, Sable Hall, Greyguard, and Deep Lake, all badly undermanned, but ten castles still stood empty and abandoned. "Men with wives and children, all orphan girls and any orphan boys below the age of ten, old women, widowed mothers, any woman who does not care to fight. The spearwives we'll send to Long Barrow to join their sisters, single men to the other forts we've reopened. Those who take the black will remain here, or be posted to Eastwatch or the Shadow Tower. Tormund will take Oakenshield as his seat, to keep him close at hand."
Bowen Marsh sighed. "If they do not slay us with their swords, they will do so with their mouths. Pray, how does the lord commander propose to feed Tormund and his thousands?"

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I agree. I have learned so much more than expected by the wandering of threads. It ultimately leads back to the main post at some point anyway.

1 hour ago, Clegane'sPup said:

Choosing. Not election. According to Aemon a choosing once lasted nearly two years. I wonder if that was for Bloodraven, Qorgyle, or Mormont?

I meant to add (but quoter is going wonky) that this is a good reminder for me as I had forgotten the actual verbiage here, I guess. I am probably guilty of calling it an election as well. Oopsy!

7 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Aaah, I'd forgotten some of the finer points in this quote.

Well now, if this doesn't show what a frog faced loyalty leaper dear ol'Slynty is, then I don't know what does.

If he was soooo loyal to the Lannisters, and that supposed loyalty could supposedly win the NW some favors, what the hell are we seeing in action here?

Yeah, yeah, lickspittles gotta lickspittle and all.

Innit?

And yeah, that's why it's such a good look into the character. Martin makes it a point of showing the reader who Slynt is, time and again, and why he cannot be trusted even when he pretends to be your friend. 

And just to make a point clear here, Slynt was NOT executed because he deserved it - and deserve it he did - but rather because he defied his commanding officer yadda yadda yadda. And given the fact that we have so many characters doing morally questionable things, the fact that Martin goes to such lengths to always always always show Slynt as a despicable and untrustworthy PoS is very telling.   

5 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Wow, and this really shows the hypocrisy of ol'Slynty as he cries out "lies", even though literally the first thing he does when he meets Jon is lie about Jon and Jon's actions... all because he cannot give up his past and Slynty hates Starks.

Lickspittles gotta lickspittle, I guess?

Indeed. It's a good scene. I only wish we had an encore on his part in the murders of Robert's bastards. 

3 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

Jon treated Slynt and Mance differently.  That is fact.  It is also fact that Mance is guilty of worse offenses than Slynt.  I am not attacking.  I'm just saying there is no "supposedly" to it.  Jon used what many critics already said he did, double standards.

Politically?  Mance had no further use (other than his impressive master of disguise ability) because the wildlings are already at the wall.  They're a beaten people with their tails hanging low.  Letting Mance live is actually a danger because he can rally the wildlings to attack the Watch and take control at the Wall. 

There is no indication on the story at all that this is what Mance is planning with the free folk.

And Jon has already said that he is not done with Mance.

3 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

This person has a track record of gross insubordination, desertion, violence against the Watch.  Slynt has influential friends who can potentially help the Watch.  Slynt is a sane man and he will change his song when he sees enough White Walkers with his own eyes.  Slynt is better PR than the illegitimate son of a man who died for treason.  Jon could have tried to bridge their differences and made use of him.  

Yeah, but no as you can see from the other posts on this page alone, Slynt is his own special type fo wrong-way ranger. He blows whichever way the wind takes him. He claims to have friends in KL, but when Stannis shows up he spit shines Stannis' boots as a "great king". You really think the Lannisters and those in KL will support Janos for this hypocrisy?

4 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Innit?

And yeah, that's why it's such a good look into the character. Martin makes it a point of showing the reader who Slynt is, time and again, and why he cannot be trusted even when he pretends to be your friend. 

And just to make a point clear here, Slynt was NOT executed because he deserved it - and deserve it he did - but rather because he defied his commanding officer yadda yadda yadda. And given the fact that we have so many characters doing morally questionable things, the fact that Martin goes to such lengths to always always always show Slynt as a despicable and untrustworthy PoS is very telling.   

Indeed. It's a good scene. I only wish we had an encore on his part in the murders of Robert's bastards. 

That would be sweet!

And here Jon contemplates the possabilites of more betrayal from Slynt if Jon did not take care of him...

A Dance with Dragons - Jon II

Alliser Thorne smiled a thin smile, his black eyes fixed on Jon. At another table, Godry the Giantslayer began to laugh.
"As you will." Jon nodded to Iron Emmett. "Please take Lord Janos to the Wall—"
—and confine him to an ice cell, he might have said. A day or ten cramped up inside the ice would leave him shivering and feverish and begging for release, Jon did not doubt. And the moment he is out, he and Thorne will begin to plot again.
—and tie him to his horse, he might have said. If Slynt did not wish to go to Greyguard as its commander, he could go as its cook. It will only be a matter of time until he deserts, then. And how many others will he take with him?

Which it seems Jon was correct when assessing the integrity of Slynt.

A Dance with Dragons - Jon III

Marsh hesitated. "Lord Snow, I am not one to bear tales, but there has been talk that you are becoming too … too friendly with Lord Stannis. Some even suggest that you are … a …"
A rebel and a turncloak, aye, and a bastard and a warg as well. Janos Slynt might be gone, but his lies lingered. "I know what they say." Jon had heard the whispers, had seen men turn away when he crossed the yard. "What would they have me do, take up swords against Stannis and the wildlings both? His Grace has thrice the fighting men we do, and is our guest besides. The laws of hospitality protect him. And we owe him and his a debt."
"Lord Stannis helped us when we needed help," Marsh said doggedly, "but he is still a rebel, and his cause is doomed. As doomed as we'll be if the Iron Throne marks us down as traitors. We must be certain that we do not choose the losing side."

Archived