Corvinus

The Final & 3rd Place - FRA v. CRO / BEL v. ENG

Looks like Southgate made some changes to the starting lineup. Curious to see which team is more motivated to win 3rd place.

I'm happy to finally see Tielemans in the same starting lineup as KDB and Hazard. Not a significant game but still a chance to see if he's really as good as I think he is.

England playing two defensive midfielders. Rose should have been in for Young a while ago and realistically, although Walker hasn't disgraced himself it's baffling that Jones wasn't playing as a CB instead of him from the start...

Belgium should win. They are much better than England. Also happy to see Tielemans start. I think both teams will be motivated to try and win this game. Third place would be the best placing ever for a Belgium side and the best for England since '66. 

The general meaninglessness of the 3rd place game means it’s usually a good game - the teams play more openly because losing this game isn’t nearly as big a deal as any of the previous 6. Both 2010 and 2014 had this game be better than the final so I’m hoping for a fun match today.

Belgian A-Team: 

https://sporza.be/nl/2018/07/14/the-a-team-wil-engelsen-kloppen/

:P

It is kind of sad for Mignolet and Casteels they will be the only Belgian players not have played a match in the WC. 

And if we lose, it is because Mertens :wub:  isn't on the field 

Edited by Tijgy

13 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

It is kind of sad for Mignolet and Casteels they will be the only Belgian players not have played a match in the WC. 

I feel the same for Butland and Pope.

I am glad Southgate saved this better lineup for the 3rd place match.

Looks like both teams want it a bit more than the media and the fans expect them to.

I predict Lukaku snatching the golden boot with two goals in this game.

One of our Belgian commentators said that Martinez was afraid of Courtois. 

And ew, the :devil:'s play in yellow. Bad luck.  

Never mind... 

Mounier is totally dominating Rose on that side. Perhaps Young was the better choice, after all.

Hazard needs to learn to pass sometimes. He's been playing with his head down too often and ignoring teammates in better positions. 

ETA. Lukaku has cost himself two goals in this game with poor touches.

Edited by Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi

So apparently we’ll have lost more games to Belgium in this tournament than in the entire rest of history.

Proud of the :devil:'s :wub:. Best place ever in history! Better than the historical fourth place in 1986 in Mexico!

And they made 16 goals ... which means some Belgian people will get a free television! 

(Krefel did some action that if you bought a television and the devils made more than 15 goals in the tournament, Krefel would pay the television back)

I think Lukaku hadn't a good match because he was a little thinking too much of the golden boot.

7 minutes ago, Tijgy said:

Krefel did some action that if you bought a television and the devils made more than 15 goals in the tournament, Krefel would pay the television back

That explains what Phil Jones was doing for your second goal. Just wanted a refund on his tv.

12 minutes ago, I am Zlatan said:

That explains what Phil Jones was doing for your second goal. Just wanted a refund on his tv.

Hahaha

It was at least the motivation of Dries Mertens during the game whose friends did really bought a tv. 

I actually think the English team did much very better during the second part of the game. They made almost a goal but Toby made a very good save.