Corvinus

The Final & 3rd Place - FRA v. CRO / BEL v. ENG

Just now, Corvinus of Teranga said:

I'm thinking Pogba will win player of the tournament.

He's been good, but not even close to the best, so I'm not sure what orifice you're pulling that from.

Well, I can't rightly complain about their last two goals but the first two were some of the cheapest fucking goals I Have ever seen. But France did what they do well, so I'm not going to argue to much about it. But I'll never ever call them a deserving winner though.

2 minutes ago, Soylent Dropbear said:

He's been good, but not even close to the best, so I'm not sure what orifice you're pulling that from.

I think you need to pay better attention to what players do besides scoring goals.

2 minutes ago, Soylent Dropbear said:

Throughout the entire tourney I’d say Kante, Modric, and Hazard were for sure better but I still think Pogba has a good claim

I think Pogba has been just as good as Kante, Modric or Hazard. It's a close call between all of them. Some people on here are starting to sound like Graeme Souness when it comes to Pogba.

Even the highly touted (and rightly so) Kante couldn't keep Modric quiet (and Nzonzi sure couldn't). Almost always available, reliable and accurate. I can't truly forgive that he turned his back on Pogba's second shot, but that's more or less the only thing he did wrong this game. We probably won't see him again in four years either.

Edited by locura
"can't" forgive

Congrats to Croatia for making this a competitive match, who knows what would have been had Griezman been shown a yellow card for diving instead of being awarded a free kick that lead to the Mandzukic owngoal.

On the other hand Griezman seemed to me to be determined to win this thing ever since they won against Uruguay, so that he didn't knock out his friends and Atleti-Captain Godin's team for nothing. They wanted to win this for Oscar Tabarez. This really has my sympathy.

Pogba definitely has a claim. Modric controls a midfield battle better but Pogba has worked hard and produced numerous stunning passes from deep, hugely important ones too.

France probably should have won the last Euro cup and just about everyone from this team except Giroud and Lloris will still be around next WC.  Very good shape for the future.  

That Pogba goal was set up by Mbappe's incredible speed which was really on display on the pass to open space that got that one going.  

8 minutes ago, Corvinus of Teranga said:

I think you need to pay better attention to what players do besides scoring goals.

I do, but I think you need to pay less attention to the occasion, rather than the actual football.

8 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

France probably should have won the last Euro cup and just about everyone from this team except Giroud and Lloris will still be around next WC.  Very good shape for the future.  

That Pogba goal was set up by Mbappe's incredible speed which was really on display on the pass to open space that got that one going.  

Lloris could still be around for the next WC  unless a better keeper emerges. 35 isn't old for a GK so long as their reflexes stay sharp. There have been many keepers still at the top of their games when in their mid 30s.

Edited by Prince Onyinye W. Ndidi

12 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Pogba definitely has a claim. Modric controls a midfield battle better but Pogba has worked hard and produced numerous stunning passes from deep, hugely important ones too.

Exactly right. Statsbomb had a graphic showing that Pogba has been the most incisive player in the tournament in terms of fast forward passing and dribbles. He's also won more duels in the knockout phase than any other midfielder.   The guy has been class in this tournament but as is so often the case when it comes to Pogba, no matter how well he plays it just isn't enough in the eyes of certain people. 

Anyway, I'm satisfied that Modric wins player of the tournament. It was a close call between him, Pogba, Kante and Hazard. Don't think there can be much complaints if any one of them had won it.

Great game. The VAR penalty still probably the most nail biting moment.  That and seeing Pussy Riot wrestled to the ground. The second two France goals made it a deserved win.

32 minutes ago, john said:

Great game. The VAR penalty still probably the most nail biting moment.  That and seeing Pussy Riot wrestled to the ground. The second two France goals made it a deserved win.

That was Pussy Riot? haha. American commentators always try to deflect from that stuff, so I had no idea who it was, but I thought they were Russians.

57 minutes ago, Triskjavikson said:

Wasn't that what people said about Germany four years ago? Well, replace the names Giroud and Lloris with Lahm, Schweinsteiger and Klose, but you know what I mean. Remember the last team to succesfully win back-to-back world cups was Brazil in 1962.

I think England might actually win it in four years time. This year it was a bit too early for them.

A farce orchestrated by the referee and the French players. Shame, because this was a great World Cup up until this point.

Griezmann is such a diva. Dude fell after a non-existent contact with Brozovic after which the first goal happened.

And that wasn't a penalty. Matuidi was one meter away from Perisic and the latter couldn't react that fast and remove his hand away, There wasn't even an intention, nor that ball was a real threat to Croatia. 

Kudos to the Croats who fought till the end despite all the injustice towards them. 

16 minutes ago, Notone said:

I think England might actually win it in four years time. This year it was a bit too early for them.

We would need some of the young talent to develop into top players I think, and a left back to emerge from somewhere (Luke Shaw could still make it I suppose). It'll be nice if the likes of Phil Foden and Jadon Sancho are fully fledged by then.