Was Tywin Lannister a villain?

Rosetta Stone

19 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

1) I'm not missing it, just not focusing on it

You were the one saying you didn't understand. 

2) You want to quibble about the number of rapes? 

lol it is not a quibble, it was pointing out a clear exaggeration. If you think the number is immaterial why bring it up in the first place? 

3) Accepted the money? Are you joking?

No. The medieval world was a fucked up place, women who worked as prostitutes would not be recognized as being raped and once Tysha had taken the money she would not be able to prove she was not a whore.

As disgusting as that is, she would not be able to prove to a neutral King that she was not a whore, Tyrion himself easily believed it.  Your notion that Tywin would lose lands over this is pretty naive. 

21 minutes ago, Bernie Mac said:

You were the one saying you didn't understand. 

lol it is not a quibble, it was pointing out a clear exaggeration. If you think the number is immaterial why bring it up in the first place? 

If you're focused on the exaggeration of the number and not the act, that's on you.

21 minutes ago, Bernie Mac said:

No. The medieval world was a fucked up place, women who worked as prostitutes would not be recognized as being raped and once Tysha had taken the money she would not be able to prove she was not a whore.

As disgusting as that is, she would not be able to prove to a neutral King that she was not a whore, Tyrion himself easily believed it.  Your notion that Tywin would lose lands over this is pretty naive. 

Yet it would still cause Tywin trouble and spark a discussion, which is exactly what I said. Bring it up with the author and Roose Bolton.

Just now, Universal Sword Donor said:

If you're focused on the exaggeration of the number and not the act, that's on you.

I'm not focused on it, I replied to all your points. 

Yet it would still cause Tywin trouble

Not really, she was a homeless girl with no family. There was zero chance of her being able to prove that she was not a whore.

Bring it up with the author

lol cute, you think you speak on behalf of the author. 

and Roose Bolton.

Roose raped a married woman with a family, had her husband murdered and there was a child with his eyes as evidence. Her brother-in-law was the one making threats. 

It's hard to believe that this topic has gone on so long and there are so many people trying to argue that Tywin was not a villain when frankly all it takes is one simple question to know if he's a villain. Did Tywin Lannister order his guardsmen to gang rape a 14 year old girl? If the answer is yes and we know it is,  then he's clearly a villain .   The number of guardsmen doesn't matter (hard to believe i have to state this fact ) or the reason he did it does not matter , The fact he ordered the gang rape is all that matters, It's a  pretty simple argument .

3 minutes ago, Blackfish Tully said:

It's hard to believe that this topic has gone on so long and there are so many people trying to argue that Tywin was not a villain when frankly all it takes is one simple question to know if he's a villain. Did Tywin Lannister order his guardsmen to gang rape a 14 year old girl? If the answer is yes and we know it is,  then he's clearly a villain .   The number of guardsmen doesn't matter (hard to believe i have to state this fact ) or the reason he did it does not matter , The fact he ordered the gang rape is all that matters, It's a  pretty simple argument .

Perhaps you should of read op's opening post, he asked 7 questions and people have been discussing them. 

Tyrion's relationship with Shae shows us exactly where Tyrion's cleverness ends. He thinks with his dick, and it has had a negative impact on his life. His perception of that relationship (which only a fool would fail to see through) should cast some doubt on whatever Tywin did to Tysha.

Firstly, the underage thing is a totally moot point. She was old enough to be married. She was already sexually active. This is a world where biology determines adulthood, just like the animal kingdom. She was an adult in Westeros.

Secondly, who's to say she wasn't loving every minute of it? I've seen videos where women appear to enjoy more than one man.

Lastly, surely it was all for the money anyway. She saw Tyrion Lannister riding with Jaime Lannister in the Westerlands and didn't know who they were? GTFO. Who's to say she didn't do it all for the money? We don't know anything but her name. Tyrion is like putty in the hands of any woman willing to spread her legs.

Tysha got paid (let's say the highest number) 100 silver, and 1 gold dragon. That's like winning the lottery. A lot of people would fuck a 100 Lannister guards for the opportunity to afford a new life. Cause what happened afterward? Tysha disappeared. She wasn't executed or exiled. She left town with a bag of money. 

There is no point in viewing medieval fantasy through the lense of a 21st century SJW when all we know of her is from Tyrion- an easily emotionally malleable dwarf with daddy issues (daddy issues that started from birth).

5 minutes ago, Blackfish Tully said:

The OP's opening post did not even mention the rape of Tysha as one of the things to consider if Tywin is a villain so how valid of a post is that ?

It is their topic, their questions are entirely up to them and the reasons why the topic has gone on so long is because people have been happy to discuss them. 

If you don't like it then fair enough, but it is shitty etiquette coming into a thread just to complain about others participating in it. 

50 minutes ago, dmfn said:

Secondly, who's to say she wasn't loving every minute of it? I've seen videos where women appear to enjoy more than one man.

Hopefully this is sarcasm but if not , I think we can safely assume she was not enjoying herself, she was likely terrified but likely silent and compliant given that Tyrion saw nothing to suggest she was not a whore and being forced into the situation. 

Tysha was well aware of her station, she would have known that fighting back either physically or verbally could have had worse consequences so likely accepted what was happening to her.

50 minutes ago, dmfn said:

Lastly, surely it was all for the money anyway. She saw Tyrion Lannister riding with Jaime Lannister in the Westerlands and didn't know who they were? GTFO. Who's to say she didn't do it all for the money?

This is likely true, she was a homeless orphan, it stands to reason that what she would have found attractive in this younger dwarf was the security he could offer her. Or perhaps it was just fear, she was in no position to say no to a Lannister.

Should be noted that there is nothing wrong with this, much of the nobility marry for reasons other than love, no one should think worse of a peasant doing the same.

But the idea that this was true love seems unlikely. 

8 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

It is their topic, their questions are entirely up to them and the reasons why the topic has gone on so long is because people have been happy to discuss them. 

If you don't like it then fair enough, but it is shitty etiquette coming into a thread just to complain about others participating in it. 

seems like the last couple pages have focused a great deal on Tysha's rape so my point seems pretty legitimate but if my pointing out that Tywin is a villain because he ordered the gang rape of a 14 year old is bad etiquette then i can live with that .  

Archived