The Ironborn

Vhagar's Ghost

I have to wonder, are the ironborn the worst people in all the Seven Kingdoms? The Targaryen's sure were messed up, but at least some of them weren't complete cunts. The ironborn are just monsters. You have the reavers who love to rape women, you have Hagon Hoare who mutilated his mother in the cruelest way possible, youave Harwyn Hoare who put a riverlord in a crow cage and starved him to death, along with (probably) killing his brother, Torwold, Lucas Codd, and the Red Oarsman who all make fun of Aeron's sexual abuse he suffered at the hands of Euron, and then you have Euron hinself, who is in my opinion, the absolute worst, most disgusting, despicable character in the entire series. So my question really is just... are the ironborn the fucking worst?

Just like in the other kingdoms of Westeros there are a mixture of both good and bad people. Due to not letting go of their past and because of the harsh conditions they live in it just so happens that most of the Ironborn are cunts. But you have to remember there are still good people, Rodrik Harlaw just wants to be left alone to read his books, and Tris Botley is way to innocent to be an Ironborn. 

Before the Targaryens came to Westeros, them and the other Valyrians did some really horrendous shit. 

Oh yes, everyone seems to forget how fucked up the Valyrian's were. Yeah nice cities they built and cool dragons but I would not want to live there.

Ah, forgot about Trist and Rodrik. But really those are like the only ones I can think of who aren't complete asswipes.

Currently they have a bad reputation, but this reputation they gained through their history also.

They are not all bad, of course. For example, Quellon did many things to integrate the Iron Islands with the mainland. He did a huge mistake for listening to his sons to join Robert's rebellion that late, and he died during a pretty much needless battle.

I guess it's their culture that makes them such miserable people to be around. And I know some of the Hoare kings were against reaving and raping and promoted literacy. Although even some of them were a bit... cruel.

23 minutes ago, Vhagar's Ghost said:

Oh yes, everyone seems to forget how fucked up the Valyrian's were. Yeah nice cities they built and cool dragons but I would not want to live there.

Ah, forgot about Trist and Rodrik. But really those are like the only ones I can think of who aren't complete asswipes.

I wouldn't so much mind living in Valyria, I just wouldn't want to be one of their slaves and either experimented on, or forced to mate with an animal to try and create half human half animal hybrids. If it wasn't for them being such monsters the Faceless Men wouldn't even exist. 

They are pretty much the only named decent people, I suppose you could count Wex Pyke aswell. Most of the good people on the Iron Islands are probably considered as weaklings and either cast aside or killed. 

Gylbert Farwynd and his sons don't appear to be bad people. 

The Ironborn culture of raping and pillaging doesn't exactly foster much in the way of respect and courtesy but it's not like there aren't other contenders for worst group of people.  They aren't any worse than the Dothraki, really.

Doesn't mean they aren't pieces of shit. Although of you really want to know, despite my utter hatred of the ironborn and their ideals, they are among my favourite group of people, specifically because they are messed up (I am interested in fucked up characters) and also because their culture and religion and history is fascinating.

6 minutes ago, Vhagar's Ghost said:

Doesn't mean they aren't pieces of shit. Although of you really want to know, despite my utter hatred of the ironborn and their ideals, they are among my favourite group of people, specifically because they are messed up (I am interested in fucked up characters) and also because their culture and religion and history is fascinating.

Same here. I mean, how do you make up someone like Victarion? That character is easily the most twisted, insane POV in the series, but at the same time, deadly serious about the bizarre things he says and does, which makes him utterly funny.

And the Kingsmoot. :lol:  

No ethnic group is walking saint or devil in human skin. There are bad Ironborns, but there are also good Ironborns. Generalization is bad. It can cause war crimes. Also, when you call them monsters, do you consider children too?

8 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

Same here. I mean, how do you make up someone like Victarion? That character is easily the most twisted, insane POV in the series, but at the same time, deadly serious about the bizarre things he says and does, which makes him utterly funny.

And the Kingsmoot. :lol:  

Victarion is a brilliant character, but sometimes I wonder if I actually want him to live like, nice job raping that poor women (who will probably kill him but still) and beating your wife to death to keep your "honour". I haven't read the books so I'm not sure but doesn't he have a kraken helm? If so that is fucking AWESOME.

7 hours ago, Kandrax said:

No ethnic group is walking saint or devil in human skin. There are bad Ironborns, but there are also good Ironborns. Generalization is bad. It can cause war crimes. Also, when you call them monsters, do you consider children too?

I do consider the children because children are just wvil little demons. In all seriousness, my point is that their culture is built on (for all intents and purposes) rape, murder, and slavery. It's mainly their culture that makes them such miserable fucks.

On 7/15/2018 at 1:53 PM, Vhagar's Ghost said:

I have to wonder, are the ironborn the worst people in all the Seven Kingdoms? The Targaryen's sure were messed up, but at least some of them weren't complete cunts. The ironborn are just monsters. You have the reavers who love to rape women, you have Hagon Hoare who mutilated his mother in the cruelest way possible, youave Harwyn Hoare who put a riverlord in a crow cage and starved him to death, along with (probably) killing his brother, Torwold, Lucas Codd, and the Red Oarsman who all make fun of Aeron's sexual abuse he suffered at the hands of Euron, and then you have Euron hinself, who is in my opinion, the absolute worst, most disgusting, despicable character in the entire series. So my question really is just... are the ironborn the fucking worst?

They are meant to be feared so yes

17 hours ago, Vhagar's Ghost said:

I do consider the children because children are just wvil little demons. In all seriousness, my point is that their culture is built on (for all intents and purposes) rape, murder, and slavery. It's mainly their culture that makes them such miserable fucks.

How is rape murder and slavery part of their culture? Rape and murder are illigal, as was slavery until Euron. Euron is a miserable fuck, not his culture. 

Yea they got thralls, thats not good, but the child of a thrall is ironborn. A thralls daughter could captain her own ship where no one can boss her around. Where else in the 7 kingsoms can a smallfolks daughter do that? There is more to their culture then reaving like theres more to Lannister culture then foraging

Archived