Joss Whedon - SF Epic for HBO -The Nevers

Zorral

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/joss-whedon-sci-fi-drama-nevers-ordered-straight-series-at-hbo-1126951

The Nevers is described as an epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies and a mission that might change the world. Whedon will serve as writer, director, exec producer and showrunner on The Nevers.

13 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yay!

But uh how is that space epic?

I merely quote, have no idea.  The Victorian ladies build a space ship?  Or they fall into the cave that John Carter did and go to Mars?  Or fall off the Picnic At Hanging Rock rock?

In any case what we're seeing here, one thinks, is HBO's new boss's directive, to be more like Netflix (which was in the bidding war for the show too).  That AT&T has laid out the orders that HBO change and what it should change to was the big 'entertainment' news last week (with the World Cup too, presumably).

http://www.businessinsider.com/hbo-is-trying-to-be-more-like-netflix-under-att-2018-7

This announcement sounds pretty rushed - as in not even half-baked yet, which doesn't necessarily bode well either.

Well, with the Earth being flat, I suppose once they reach the edge, it will become a space epic.

Until I see more, I can't help but think about Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, which was entertaining, but also dumb.

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

In any case what we're seeing here, one thinks, is HBO's new boss's directive, to be more like Netflix (which was in the bidding war for the show too).  That AT&T has laid out the orders that HBO change and what it should change to was the big 'entertainment' news last week (with the World Cup too, presumably).

http://www.businessinsider.com/hbo-is-trying-to-be-more-like-netflix-under-att-2018-7

This announcement sounds pretty rushed - as in not even half-baked yet, which doesn't necessarily bode well either.

This sounds like ATT is going to ruin HBO, no surprise there, it's surprising HBO has maintained it's prestige brand for this long. 

A few years ago Whedon was set to do a Victorian steampunk superheroine thing called Twist that never actually materialized. It was announced as a 6 issue miniseries with Dark Horse publishing, and I think they even had some art. It was supposed to be a female Batman type of character in that milieu. Wonder if, after that fell through, he cannibalized some of his ideas.

Better this, in any case, than LoEG being made into a TV series.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Nothing in the press release (nor in the article you linked to) mentioned space- I guess you've simply read 'sci-fi epic' and sort of assumed space opera or something like.

As stated -- I merely quoted.  Simultaneously visualizing The Expanse's promo imagery?

Marlon James's A History of Seven Killings is supposedly going to be an HBO series -- and his new project is an Afro-Fantasy epic series.  One wonders about a lot a things here.  But it does seem that HBO is likely to hit troubled waters, with trying to roll out so much so quickly, when that's not what they've done previously. Building infrastructure and content simultaneously is likely to hit rocks of all kinds for longer than the year the staff was warned by honchos was going to be hell.

3 minutes ago, Relic said:

When was the last time he was involved in something worth watching?

2012, when both Cabin in the Woods and Much Ado About Nothing came out and were both excellent (The Avengers also came out that year).

But the thing is, he's only done two movies since then (and maybe gives some input on Marvel: Agents of SHIELD; his younger brother is the showrunner) and both were superhero flicks, The Avengers: Age of Ultron and Justice League (reshoots only). Neither were great, but with the amount of studio involvement/pressure in those big crossover films, its basically impossible to do anything other than play it safe. It's hard to say he's lost a step in the past six years when he hasn't really tried any creative endeavors.

Yeah, Whedon's not been given a free hand in a project for quite some time. It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out, and if it can help rehabilitate his personal reputation, which took a right battering from his ex-wife last year.

Much Ado About Nothing was grossly unwatchable due to the sickening male gaze that permeated it. Which kept running grossly through my head while reading his ex-wife's piece detailing his behaviors -- and particularly his excuses:  What could I do? All these needy beautiful young girls wanting my attention soooooooooooooooooo much . . . . 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

As stated -- I merely quoted.

They're talking about the title of the thread.  Nowhere in the article does it say space nor in the bit you quoted, but the title you chose does.

I don't even know where to start.

I'll say as regards to the ex wife thing, nothing has ever come forward other than that, and you'd think with the #metoo stuff at least someone who have come forward if he was touchy on set. I see a lot of assumptions and rumors about Whedon that almost always turn out to be completely source-less and mad eup garbage, and I'm going to stop now before I go off on a rant.

3 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

They're talking about the title of the thread.  Nowhere in the article does it say space nor in the bit you quoted, but the title you chose does.

I thought I explained -- The Expanse!  Your problem is???????

Archived