Joss Whedon - SF Epic for HBO -The Nevers

Zorral

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Um, what?

Also "afro-Fantasy"? Is that an actual term now?

Afro Futurism, Afropunk, etc.  yes these are terms.  Have you not seen Black Panther and all the thousands of discussions in white, black, European, USA, African press about it?  Do you not READ sf/f?  where these terms have been around since even, at least Afro Futurism, since the 1990s?

43 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I don't even know where to start.

I'll say as regards to the ex wife thing, nothing has ever come forward other than that, and you'd think with the #metoo stuff at least someone who have come forward if he was touchy on set. I see a lot of assumptions and rumors about Whedon that almost always turn out to be completely source-less and mad eup garbage, and I'm going to stop now before I go off on a rant.

Did you see the divorce agreement?

48 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Did you see the divorce agreement?

Lol, no one has. What the fuck?

50 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Afro Futurism, Afropunk, etc.  yes these are terms.  Have you not seen Black Panther and all the thousands of discussions in white, black, European, USA, African press about it?  Do you not READ sf/f?  where these terms have been around since even, at least Afro Futurism, since the 1990s?

Gosh, sorry I'm not familiar with some random term from the inter-webs. Pretty sure I've been reading SFF since before you were born, thanks.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

I thought I explained -- The Expanse!  Your problem is???????

I'm sorry to learn you've had a stroke, and that based on the time of your initial post it is well past the 3 hours by when tPA usually needs to be administered. 

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Apparently he cheated on her, several times, with the young actresses he cast on his various shows (none have been named).

She wrote a blog about it.

Aight, monogamy is for stupid people. Is that the extent of her charges? I am hesitant to contribute to the clickbaits of a creature who counts such things as 'divorceable'.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Much Ado About Nothing was grossly unwatchable due to the sickening male gaze that permeated it. Which kept running grossly through my head while reading his ex-wife's piece detailing his behaviors -- and particularly his excuses:  What could I do? All these needy beautiful young girls wanting my attention soooooooooooooooooo much . . . . 

Ok, that's fucking creepsy. But is that the extent of it?

Yeah, that article by his ex is it. There has been nothing else since, and I don;t want to derail this too much, but no one has said a thign since, on or off the record. Yeah, OK, don;t cheat on your wife, but we have no way to tell if the parts of that letter published are genuine or not, and it's really down to a he said she said thing. And before people start with the always believe the accuser thing, this isn't a fucking sexual assault case.

A lot of people jumped on the HA HA I KNEW HE WASN'T A "TRUE" FEMINIST ALL ALONG bandwagon, for various reasons.

I also uh don;t remember Much Ado being male gazey, but it's been awhile.

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Excuse me?

You called her allegations of his conduct a case of "he said, she said". Is that your approach to all such matters, or...what?

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

In cases where we have zero information outside of a single blog post? Yes. Are you aware of other information you would like to share or did someone shit in your cereal?

Oh, im sorry, ive been arguing with Nazis on reddit all day, so...

To repeat; you called her statements a matter of "he said, she said". My question to you was clear. 

I believe he probably was sleeping around too. But in the absence of any other information, including any details of who the affairs were with or how they started and were conducted, I don't see how it automatically makes him not-a-feminist as his ex-wife alleges. If he was abusive or coercive in the affairs, than yeah, definitely; but otherwise, hard to say that.

Even if he was sleeping with some the female leads on his TV shows, it doesn't necessarily mean anything, though it could. For example, Sarah Michelle Geller was a bigger name than him in 1997, so a hypothetical affair with her doesn't have the same power imbalance/pressure situation that, for instance, Louis CK put female comics in. On the other hand, Buffy was Alyson Hannigan's first big break, so a hypothetical affair with her would be much more problematic.

2 hours ago, Relic said:

My question to you was clear.  

His answer to you was clear too, to be fair.

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I don't see how it automatically makes him not-a-feminist as his ex-wife alleges.

I think the main damage to his feminist image comes from how she describes him justifying it. Oh I'm a big powerful producer now and all these hot young women want my cock I can't possibly refuse. If that is true it's not a good look for him at all.

I can remember seeing rumours about JW's fondness for his young actresses and waif-chic going round LiveJournal a few years before his ex-wife posted anything. Eliza Dushku tended to be the name that was mentioned most often in connection with him. 

Archived