Re read after Storm of Swords !!!

Sunny29990

Hello friends,

This may sound a little weird but I was thinking of re-reading the 1st three books once again as in the middle of COK i started to go into casual reading mode without paying much attention to detail and small plot points which i could have picked up and which would have helped me a lot to understand what happens in the story later. I know there was a lot of stuff I missed when I saw various articles on wikis and other stuff on the forums. Also, I also wanted to go into a full ASOIAF mode and dig up everything there is to it about this story along with all the mythologies, backstories, legends etc, which I was not doing when i read the books for the first time. For that purpose I also bought the book "The World of Ice and Fire" and am planning to pick up each and everything from the whole story, every event big or small.

So I just wanted to ask, will I be wasting my time and will not knowing the backstories and small minor characters in the first three books make the 4th and 5th book understanding for me.....or should I re-read them all. Also, I just wanted to clarify that I have no problem with re-reading stuff :) Thanks a lot.

One more thing...Do i need to read "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms"....if yes...should I read them before ASOIAF or in between?

All the books are full of hints, clues, foreshadowing, mysteries... I'd say re-read them all, there's always a payoff. I'm still finding things I hadn't noticed before, and I've re-read them all a bunch of times over the years.

The World Book is great, lots of great stuff in there. And definitely read the Dunk & Egg novellas. Not only you will find clues to the main novels and loads of Easter eggs, but they are an absolute delight. :)

27 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

All the books are full of hints, clues, foreshadowing, mysteries... I'd say re-read them all, there's always a payoff. I'm still finding things I hadn't noticed before, and I've re-read them all a bunch of times over the years.

The World Book is great, lots of great stuff in there. And definitely read the Dunk & Egg novellas. Not only you will find clues to the main novels and loads of Easter eggs, but they are an absolute delight. :)

Thank you so much for the reply. I have one more question...about the Dunk and Egg Novellas. Should i read them before the main series or side by side ? :)

8 minutes ago, Sunny29990 said:

Thank you so much for the reply. I have one more question...about the Dunk and Egg Novellas. Should i read them before the main series or side by side ? :)

It doesn't really matter imo (others may feel differently). I just wouldn't read them before the novels b/c then you may miss some of the clues/easter eggs. Like spotting a snotty 4-yr-old Walder Frey. :D

ETA: sorry, I misread your question and thought you said together or after not before! 

2 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

It doesn't really matter imo (others may feel differently). I just wouldn't read them before the novels b/c then you may miss some of the clues/easter eggs. Like spotting a snotty 4-yr-old Walder Frey. :D

ETA: sorry, I misread your question and thought you said together or after not before! 

Thank you so much :)  that's a really cool easter egg. Will start them after the main novels then. 

10 minutes ago, Sunny29990 said:

Thank you so much :)  that's a really cool easter egg. Will start them after the main novels then. 

You're welcome. And this little chat and thinking about Dunk and Egg was all I needed to get in the mood to re-read D&E again! :)

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

You're welcome. And this little chat and thinking about Dunk and Egg was all I needed to get in the mood to re-read D&E again! :)

I am glad to hear that :) let the readings begin !!!! 

Archived