Division of the Kingsguard of Aerys II

Angel Eyes

5 minutes ago, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

How I hate in app purchases. I'll take your word for it but it wants me to pay to read the character profile. I wonder if anyone else has screenshots or the like.

Lord Robert, Lyanna's betrothed, was consumed by the need to avenge himself on Rhaegar, but the prince could not be found for the first months of the war. Rumor had it that he was in the south with Lyanna, at the place he called the Tower of Joy, near the red mountains of Dorne. But eventually his father sent Ser Gerold Hightower to recall Rhaegar to his duties, though Rhaegar ordered Ser Gerold, Ser Arthur, and Ser Oswell to keep guard over Lyanna in the south. (WoIaF App)

1 minute ago, Widow's Watch said:

Lord Robert, Lyanna's betrothed, was consumed by the need to avenge himself on Rhaegar, but the prince could not be found for the first months of the war. Rumor had it that he was in the south with Lyanna, at the place he called the Tower of Joy, near the red mountains of Dorne. But eventually his father sent Ser Gerold Hightower to recall Rhaegar to his duties, though Rhaegar ordered Ser Gerold, Ser Arthur, and Ser Oswell to keep guard over Lyanna in the south. (WoIaF App)

Seven blessings on you! This somewhat muddies the water on whose orders Hightower followed: Aerys's, Rhaegar's or whether he saw himself as doing both.

58 minutes ago, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

Thank you! I'd be very interested to find that source, friend. That changes everything. As a Rhaegar supporter, I'd love to read that myself.

Just to add to what other posters have already mentioned, this is a link to a screenshot from the app (iffin’ it works): 

https://imgur.com/gallery/d4wsN1V

And I see @Widow's Watch :ph34r:‘d me in the process of my pic :D

58 minutes ago, aryagonnakill#2 said:

I believe we are actually told that Aerys ordered Hightower to bring Rhaegar back, that at least implies Hightower should have come back with him, so it appears to me Hightower literally listened to Rhaegar above Aerys.

"Lord Robert, Lyanna's betrothed, was consumed by the need to avenge himself on Rhaegar, but the prince could not be found for the first months of the war. Rumor had it that he was in the south with Lyanna, at the place he called the Tower of Joy, near the red mountains of Dorne. But eventually his father sent Ser Gerold Hightower to recall Rhaegar to his duties, though Rhaegar ordered Ser Gerold, Ser Arthur, and Ser Oswell to keep guard over Lyanna in the south. (WoIaF App)"

"recall. verb. rəˈkôl/ 2. officially order (someone) to return to a place."

Unfortunately, thought the wording given is probably not what Aerys Verbatim said, it appears Hightower was not required to accompany Rhaegar back to KL, thus not explicitly disobeying the King's orders by staying. If he ordered him to return, his job is done.

15 minutes ago, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

Seven blessings on you! This somewhat muddies the water on whose orders Hightower followed: Aerys's, Rhaegar's or whether he saw himself as doing both.

This is my problem with the app and the world book, they muddy the waters a lot. I have a love-hate relationship with the world book, especially.

11 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

And I see @Widow's Watch :ph34r:‘d me in the process of my pic :D

You got :ph34r:'d by my spreadsheet :P

11 minutes ago, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

"Lord Robert, Lyanna's betrothed, was consumed by the need to avenge himself on Rhaegar, but the prince could not be found for the first months of the war. Rumor had it that he was in the south with Lyanna, at the place he called the Tower of Joy, near the red mountains of Dorne. But eventually his father sent Ser Gerold Hightower to recall Rhaegar to his duties, though Rhaegar ordered Ser Gerold, Ser Arthur, and Ser Oswell to keep guard over Lyanna in the south. (WoIaF App)"

"recall. verb. rəˈkôl/ 2. officially order (someone) to return to a place."

Unfortunately, thought the wording given is probably not what Aerys Verbatim said, it appears Hightower was not required to accompany Rhaegar back to KL, thus not explicitly disobeying the King's orders by staying. If he ordered him to return, his job is done.

It might be that Aerys's orders were made in a way that did not explicitly require Hightower to return with Rhaegar., in which case he could be convinced to fulfill Rhaegar's command to remain there without transgressing any command of Aerys.

But I think it might also be possible that it was not so clean as that.

Rhaegar might not have trusted Hightower to return to King's Landing with whatever new knowledge he might have acquired since leaving King's Landing, and required him to remain at the tower in exchange for Rhaegar returning to King's Landing.

Perhaps he would have allowed Hightower to return to King's Landing without him, and face the consequences of failing to fulfill Aerys's command, while they moved to another location where Hightower wouldn't be able to lead a new party to them, assuming he survived his failure.

Or perhaps Rhaegar might have even been willing to command Dayne and Whent to hold their own Lord Commander against his will at the tower while he returned to King's Landing, in the event Hightower wouldn't remain willingly.

We have little to go by, but I have a feeling Hightower is there with a very different mindset and for very different reasons than Dayne and Whent. I don't think Ned finds him there because he is on "Team Rhaegar."

26 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

This is my problem with the app and the world book, they muddy the waters a lot. I have a love-hate relationship with the world book, especially.

You got :ph34r:'d by my spreadsheet :P

That spreadsheet sounds... sexy :cheers:

21 hours ago, Prince Jon Targaryen said:

Looks like I got the wording a bit wrong, but if I were a Kingsguard and I was ordered to recall someone to the capital, the only way I could truly know that happened would to be to accompany him.  So he certainly gave some measure of deference to Rhaegar in that regard.

Archived