What if the Others didn't wake up?

UFT

lets say in an alternate history, the Others decide to wait a bit longer before arising to attack Mankind.

the biggest threat coming from the North during the main storyline is the odd raid from wildlings. 

how would this have affected the timeline?

Most events of the War of the Five Kings would still happen. Red Wedding would still happen. Purple Wedding would still happen. Even in the actual story the Others had little influence south of the Neck. 

Jeor Mormont and Benjen Stark would still be alive. Jon's story would be just about how he adjusts to the role of a Night's Watch brother.

The biggest change that I can think of is that Stannis would not march to the Wall and stay holed up in Dragonstone or in Storm's End. If he is in Dragonstone he would fight Loras, if in Storm's End he would fight the Golden Company. Not sure if he would win or lose.

11 hours ago, UFT said:

lets say in an alternate history, the Others decide to wait a bit longer before arising to attack Mankind.

the biggest threat coming from the North during the main storyline is the odd raid from wildlings. 

how would this have affected the timeline?

you mean writing  a completely different story based on someone else's characters?  you should write it

On 7/17/2018 at 2:54 PM, Dorian Martell's son said:

you mean writing  a completely different story based on someone else's characters?  you should write it

Even the meanest level of troll would surely have given up this schtick by now. You know what kind of post this is, you know we’re all waiting for the next book and we’re trying to keep ourselves occupied till it comes out, and it’s no skin off your teeth to let people just speculate, yet you keep flogging this corpse of a horse sneering at anyone who makes a “What if” post. I don’t even think it’s a good “what if” post, but I’d have just ignored it and moved on. Is that so hard for you to do? Does it keep you up at night that people talk about things you find uninteresting?

Just now, Canon Claude said:

Even the meanest level of troll would surely have given up this schtick by now. You know what kind of post this is, you know we’re all waiting for the next book and we’re trying to keep ourselves occupied till it comes out, and it’s no skin off your teeth to let people just speculate, yet you keep flogging this corpse of a horse sneering at anyone who makes a “What if” post. I don’t even think it’s a good “what if” post, but I’d have just ignored it and moved on. Is that so hard for you to do? Does it keep you up at night that people talk about things you find uninteresting?

Yet you didn't ignore it. something crow something raven black or such 

2 hours ago, Canon Claude said:

Even the meanest level of troll would surely have given up this schtick by now. You know what kind of post this is, you know we’re all waiting for the next book and we’re trying to keep ourselves occupied till it comes out, and it’s no skin off your teeth to let people just speculate,

I would get a bit more realistic BUT I'm gonna take a softer approach. Yeah, i know what kind of thread this is --- what if martin didn't write what he wrote.

Weeeeeel now, <sarcasm on>  since martin's ASOIAF fans are so bored let me make up a bunch of shite so me and my fellow humans can talk trash together <sarcasm off>.

Speculation about ideas, situations, and points of view that are actually written is vastly different than making up scenarios that aren't actually written in the saga.

Some of the make believe scenarios lead me to think that some individuals need to visit a therapist.

What if this, what if that--- although I gotta say --- no new material.

That is not entirely correct --- F & B v. 1 is being released Oct/Nov.

Supposedly it is F & B v. 2 that sheds light on the actual ASOIAF story. BUT that can't be published because it hasn't been written yet.

In this sites heyday there were posters who knew these books inside and out. Until those posters come back unfortunately you are stuck with people like me who on occasion find a long winded way to say balderdash to the what if.

The hard core ASOIAF fans will come back if/when martin releases WoW. Right now those hard core fans merely let us flounder around with our BS. People keep making up their stuff and people like me occasionally flap my trap.

2019, will be in my opinion a rather interesting year. I mean, the you know what is going to do you know what and maybe if I wish upon a star martin will do you know what.

20 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I would get a bit more realistic BUT I'm gonna take a softer approach. Yeah, i know what kind of thread this is --- what if martin didn't write what he wrote.

Weeeeeel now, <sarcasm on>  since martin's ASOIAF fans are so bored let me make up a bunch of shite so me and my fellow humans can talk trash together <sarcasm off>.

Speculation about ideas, situations, and points of view that are actually written is vastly different than making up scenarios that aren't actually written in the saga.

Some of the make believe scenarios lead me to think that some individuals need to visit a therapist.

What if this, what if that--- although I gotta say --- no new material.

That is not entirely correct --- F & B v. 1 is being released Oct/Nov.

Supposedly it is F & B v. 2 that sheds light on the actual ASOIAF story. BUT that can't be published because it hasn't been written yet.

In this sites heyday there were posters who knew these books inside and out. Until those posters come back unfortunately you are stuck with people like me who on occasion find a long winded way to say balderdash to the what if.

The hard core ASOIAF fans will come back if/when martin releases WoW. Right now those hard core fans merely let us flounder around with our BS. People keep making up their stuff and people like me occasionally flap my trap.

2019, will be in my opinion a rather interesting year. I mean, the you know what is going to do you know what and maybe if I wish upon a star martin will do you know what.

This post sums up a lot of what goes on around here lately quite well.  I'm tempted to ask if I can borrow parts of it. 

On 7/17/2018 at 4:23 AM, Tucu said:

Winter will come and wipe humanity as the Others would not pass their knowledge about surviving the cold to human allies.

They're not interested in helping people survive the cold. They're more interested in murdering everyone they see. Will can tell you that.

7 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

They're not interested in helping people survive the cold. They're more interested in murdering everyone they see. Will can tell you that.

They only needed Gared at that point. One black brother was enough to open the Black Gate for the direwolf.

1 minute ago, Tucu said:

They only needed Gared at that point. One black brother was enough to open the Black Gate for the direwolf.

And then said wights attacked anyone they saw. There is a certain... indignity with having your body being controlled and your soul not in it.

2 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

And then said wights attacked anyone they saw. There is a certain... indignity with having your body being controlled and your soul not in it.

Not everyone. A godly man like Craster was safe from them and Val managed to cross the Haunted Forest with only a half-blind horse as company.

Archived