Titans -- a DC Universe Series

Bastard of Boston

Jeebus. Their budget did not extend to lighting, apparently.

I have no idea what to make of GRIMDARK Teen Titans. Kind of cool that they have Hawk and Dove in it, though. Wonder if they could do an ARMAGEDDON 2001 crossover with Legends of Tomorrow. Always loved that event series. 

3 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

I had no interest in the show before the trailer, and even less now. 

Are you kidding? I've never hate-watched a show before but I'm tempted by this one and I don't even care about Teen Titans.

They've turned Robin into the Midnighter- maybe I should change my avatar?

So

They took a series that is best known for being irreverent and fun and 4th-wall breaking, and second-best known for doing longform stories about good relationships, and turned it into Young Watchmen.

JUST FUCKING DO YOUNG WATCHMEN OR SOMETHING WHY DO THIS TO THE TITANS WHY

So that trailer looks like the showrunners read half of the Wikipedia for 2 (maybe 3) singular episodes of the cartoon, declared 'I got it!' and went with the most basic understanding of the characters possible.

Producer: So they're kids?

Writer1: Yeah, but also superheros.

Producer: How do we handle them?

Writer 2: Like any kid, with the barest possible attention.

ExecProducer: So this 'Raven'... She's possessed by a demon?

Writer 2: Yeah, and like super dark and emo.

Producer 1: OOOOOkaaaaaay! So she's like a sniveling little female who needs saving?

Writer 1: Now you're getting it.

ExecProducer: So this 'BeastBoy'...

Writer 1: That guy's my specialty.

ExecProducer: What does he do?

Writer 1: He turns into beasts.

ExecProducer: That's it?

Writer 1: Pretty much. Not a lot to that one.

ExecProducer: Well, he'll be good for visuals at least. Tell me about Star Fire?

Writer 2: She's an alien, or something. We figure to turn her into fire and that should be all there is to it.

Producer: I'm sensing that the real heavyweight as far as dialogue is going to be Robin?

Writer 2: OOOOH Yeah! He's got like an inferiority complex about Batman.

Writer 1: I figure that'll be enough to pin the season on. Especially with the sad girl there to be rescued.

Producer: Well it sounds like you guys have got this nailed down tight.

ExecProducer: I just wish we had one or maybe even two characters who were relentlessly irreverent or cheerful to balance out this Raven and Robin duo.

Writer 1: There's just not much to be done, I'm afraid.

Writer 2: I was thinking that in season 2 we might introduce Damien Wayne for that role.

Producer/ExecProducer: DO IT!

I forgot to include that the monthly price for the DC Universe streaming service -- as this show will only feature on DC's own streaming service -- will be $7.99. Or you can spring for the full year for $74.99. Stargirl was added as the fourth live action show to feature as original content -- Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol are the other shows.

No doubt, they'll also throw in older shows like Smallville and Lois and Clark. This is in addition to a new season of Young Justice and a Harley Quinn cartoon. There will also be "curated" comics, similar to Marvel Unlimited, but as the "curated" description implies, more...limited.

So it looks like this was developed before they realised Snyder's approach to DC wasn't working? Or they thought it was just Snyder that was the problem and people were fine with the heroes maiming and killing criminals? If it wasn't for the name and recognisable characters I'd think this was the "Watchmen" show in development as some next gen thing.

Although it looks like this Robin may have come into existence without Batman which works in my mind. The only thing stopping Grayson becoming Robin on his own is the Wayne cash cow.

Hopefully the UK gets these shows via Netflix,Amazon, sky although young justice is the only real draw for me so far. I thought Netflix were involved in reviving that at one stage?

I think the comics are going to be based on the shows from what I've read. Probably a good idea for grabbing new readers but not for existing ones. The titans trailer suggests it might be appealing to injustice fans and that comic did well off the gaming crowd. Makes sense to apply a similar tactic with the shows

12 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Grimdark Teen Titans is probably the way to go. I remember The Flash got his goddamn knee blown off by Deadshot one time.

That said, this looks turrible.

It also happened to Kid flash for added grim.although they used his recuperation time for him to speed learn everything and his leg fully healed. Within 12 months the character grew up and became "the flash" for about issues before being beaten to death by all of the Rogues over the course of several pages.

I guess the comics haven't been 60s Batman for a long time

7 minutes ago, red snow said:

It also happened to Kid flash for added grim.although they used his recuperation time for him to speed learn everything and his leg fully healed. Within 12 months the character grew up and became "the flash" for about issues before being beaten to death by all of the Rogues over the course of several pages.

I guess the comics haven't been 60s Batman for a long time

I either missed that issue or blocked it from my memory.

I was doing LSD pretty 'frequently' in those days.

3 hours ago, red snow said:

Although it looks like this Robin may have come into existence without Batman which works in my mind. The only thing stopping Grayson becoming Robin on his own is the Wayne cash cow.

I assumed he was raised and trained by Batman and they had a falling out.

"Where's Batman?" ie your partner?

"Fuck Batman."

14 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I assumed he was raised and trained by Batman and they had a falling out.

"Where's Batman?" ie your partner?

"Fuck Batman."

I was hoping robin didn't like Batman's methods. If this robin was trained by batman then batman failed in his training and it should be Jason Todd, not Dick Grayson, in the show.

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

I either missed that issue or blocked it from my memory.

I was doing LSD pretty 'frequently' in those days.

I think it was when Geoff Johns was writing teen titans and prior to him returning Barry Allen. So pre 2011 by a year or two.

4 hours ago, red snow said:

I was hoping robin didn't like Batman's methods. If this robin was trained by batman then batman failed in his training and it should be Jason Todd, not Dick Grayson, in the show.

I think it's still consistent with Grayson, if extreme. At some point he decided to break with Batman and go his own way, which eventually moved him to become his own person and transition to Nightwing.

Archived