Titans -- a DC Universe Series

Bastard of Boston

11 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I think it's still consistent with Grayson, if extreme. At some point he decided to break with Batman and go his own way, which eventually moved him to become his own person and transition to Nightwing.

It's the shooting of people and stamping on people's necks that doesn't sit well. I'm fine with Grayson wanting to step out of Batman's shadow. But the extreme violence and murder is exactly what the Jason Todd robin did as the red hood. Just seems odd to bend Grayson's character when a character that fits already exists. At the end of the day people recognise "Robin" more than his real name.

1 hour ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Can we address why StarFire has the costume of a goddamn streetwalker? 

Seriously?

I read a claim somewhere that the scene of her follows her having been at a disco-themed party or something, and that it is not her typical outfit. Not sure if true, not sure if it helps, but it is what I read.

Just now, Ran said:

I read a claim somewhere that the scene of her follows her having been at a disco-themed party or something, and that it is not her typical outfit. Not sure if true, not sure if it helps, but it is what I read.

This is at odds with an article I saw where the costumes were pictured on mannequins. It was there that I first took offense. I can try to find said article, but it was clickbait and I didn't actually read it so the task may be difficult. 

Small potatoes in a thoroughly unappetizing stew though.

• 2 months later...

Anyone see the first episode? I just finished. I didn't hate it. Yes, the tone was a little bit "tryhard," but once you get through the gratuitous violence, I was intrigued enough with what was left to continue watching for the rest of the season.

First episode focused on Dick, Raven, and Kory. Thankfully, there appears to be a story reason why Kory looks the way she does, and Diop -- in limited time -- managed to give the most charismatic performance of the featured cast. The guy they have playing Dick didn't "wow" me, but he didn't do anything to turn me off. I guess I'm just waiting for him to become the Dick I recognize. Right now, he's your standard distant and enigmatic young antihero.

2 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

Anyone see the first episode? I just finished. I didn't hate it. Yes, the tone was a little bit "tryhard," but once you get through the gratuitous violence, I was intrigued enough with what was left to continue watching for the rest of the season.

For me, that was the problem.  I couldn't get past the violence.  It just seemed too far out of character for a member of the Bat family to use guns and to scrap villains' faces against a brick wall and broken glass.

12 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

For me, that was the problem.  I couldn't get past the violence.  It just seemed too far out of character for a member of the Bat family to use guns and to scrap villains' faces against a brick wall and broken glass.

Yeah, I don't blame you. But I'm so jaded by "darkdarkdark," it's become white noise to me. I accept it as a thing which happens, like a creaky floor I just walk over without thinking about anymore. It's so weird to me that DC is going in this direction with a Titans show.

I thought episode two was pretty damn good. I enjoyed it much more than the pilot. Maybe it's mostly because I really enjoyed seeing Hawk and Dove pulled directly from the page. Emphasis on directly.

At least with Robin, Hawk, and Dove, it appears there's no apprehension in adapting the ridiculous in juxtaposition with the "gritty real world" setting -- reminds me of Snyder's Watchmen movie in this regard. Apparently, even the street-clothed Titans will eventually get their comic costumes.

• 1 month later...

First season finished up today. I think the showrunners definitely tried to use the Marvel Netflix model, as I noticed the extremely familiar choice to utilize an extremely slow build. But, unlike the Marvel Netflix shows, this show didn't have strong enough character work to sustain the string along.

I felt the overall season arc to be pretty flimsy. I was more intrigued by what were supposed to be the secondary cast -- Donna Troy and Hawk and Dove. My favorite episodes of the season focused on them. The season itself ended with no real compelling cliffhanger -- felt like a standard cliffhanger for a normal episode, not propulsion into the next season. Keep in mind, I don't mean the post-credits scene, because that was a ton of fun.

All in all, it's worth continuing to watch. There's enough there. I'm just anxious to see where the show will go when there's a legit team. Call my crazy, but if I'm watching a show called Titans, I kind of expect the team to be fully realized by the end of the first season.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2018 at 10:36 PM, Bastard of Boston said:

First season finished up today. I think the showrunners definitely tried to use the Marvel Netflix model, as I noticed the extremely familiar choice to utilize an extremely slow build. But, unlike the Marvel Netflix shows, this show didn't have strong enough character work to sustain the string along.

I felt the overall season arc to be pretty flimsy. I was more intrigued by what were supposed to be the secondary cast -- Donna Troy and Hawk and Dove. My favorite episodes of the season focused on them. The season itself ended with no real compelling cliffhanger -- felt like a standard cliffhanger for a normal episode, not propulsion into the next season. Keep in mind, I don't mean the post-credits scene, because that was a ton of fun.

All in all, it's worth continuing to watch. There's enough there. I'm just anxious to see where the show will go when there's a legit team. Call my crazy, but if I'm watching a show called Titans, I kind of expect the team to be fully realized by the end of the first season.

Finished it today and I agree with pretty much everything you said. It was better than I expected, but I wasn't expecting much. Still, there's plenty to appreciate there, I just wished it was more Titans and less Robin focused. I do agree that Dove, Hawk and Donna all looked interesting and deserved more spotlight.

Archived