Why do the smallfolk support Cersei?

Angel Eyes

On 7/19/2018 at 11:08 PM, Angel Eyes said:

So I'm not really sure why the smallfolk are cheering for Cersei in Season 7. She (and Joffrey) have given them a whole bunch of reasons over the years not to support her:

• Her incestuous relationship with Jaime, which bred Joffrey "A rotten King!"
  • (Supposedly) ordering the massacre of Robert Baratheon's bastards 
  • Blowing up the Great Sept of Baelor, which killed the High Sparrow, who appeared to speak for the downtrodden
  • As part of the explosion, she killed the relatively popular Queen Margaery, her cousin Lancel, and her uncle Kevan, which makes her a kinslayer
  • Allying herself with Euron Greyjoy, King of the Iron Islands. Iron Islanders are... unpopular.

All in all, she's an incestuous kinslayer who oppresses the smallfolk, two things that would make her reviled and generally unpopular. And yet they cheer for her and Euron.

Perhaps the small folk have their own version of msm news and are brainwashed into believing that Cersei's incestuous relationship with Jamie, her killing of Robert and blowing up the Great Sept are nothing more than dangerous conspiracy theories. I wonder the same thing about the smallfolk in the UK supporting the current govt, I really do... It literally makes no sense. In the GoT world I have to assume that the people are just as dumb and gullible. 

Because the smallfolk in the show have no voice anymore in the narrative, not the way they used to have in say, season 2.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:23 PM, btfu806 said:

A lot of season 7 goes against logic. Around season 5 I had to start turning my brain off and just wait for the OMG/"break the internet moments" and lots of CGI dragons. It's kinda sad. Still enjoy it, just in a different way.

:agree:

9 hours ago, Fiery Heart said:

Perhaps the small folk have their own version of msm news and are brainwashed into believing that Cersei's incestuous relationship with Jamie, her killing of Robert and blowing up the Great Sept are nothing more than dangerous conspiracy theories. I wonder the same thing about the smallfolk in the UK supporting the current govt, I really do... It literally makes no sense. In the GoT world I have to assume that the people are just as dumb and gullible. 

Yea they clearly are. But I would say potentially worse than now.

this is a society without news and where most people are illiterate. 

They get their news from the type of plays Arya saw in Bravos. 

7 hours ago, Kandrax said:

One of reason why i think smallfolk didn't complained about destruction of Great Sept of Baelor is maybe because they themself didn't like sparrows.

That is a good point. 

If you are from KL and you like to drink, whore around etc. the Sparrows were not fun. 

They were a huge kill joy as the montage in 504 showed when they went around busting up brothels and harrassing drinking establishments. 

Archived