So Tyrion did not know who Maseter Aemon was, correct?

Leonardo

Tyrion is an avid reader. He would know a lot of what had been written about the Targaryen succession, so he might have known that the older brother of Aegon V declined the throne and subsequently went to take the black with Bloodraven. Tyrion works out that Young Griff is actually fAegon (which may or may not be an accurate conclusion, depending whether you believe some of the Blackfyre theories). So it's reasonable to think that Tyrion might have worked out the identity of a man named Aemon who was an elderly maester at the Wall.

I don’t think he did, I mean he may well have easily worked it out, but what thought would he give to an aged maester in a distant castle?

I guess Aemon is a common enough name, especially in the older generation.

Also it was supposed to be a bit of a surprise to the reader, and otherwise would give the game away early.

10 hours ago, Giant Ice Spider said:

I don't believe he did, nor do I think he would particularly care. Maester Aemon is a crow, after all.

Aemon is not just any crow, but a maester and a Targaryen who had lived through the last century. I'm not sure if he knew or not, which would be odd if he didn't work it out, but I would expect him to be interested in Aemon, brother of Aegon V, son of Maekar I, grandson of Daeron II, and great-grandson of Aegon IV, born within a few decades of the last dragons.

Even though Tyrion knew a lot about Targaryens, it seems, that he was more interested in their dragons, or in significant members of Targ family. Obviously, that he was interested in people like Aegon the Conqueror, Daemon Blackfyre, Bittersteel, Dragonknight, participants of the Dance of the Dragons, etc.

But maester Aemon, wasn't someone significant. He has left royal court of Targaryens in 207 or 208, and departed to Citadel. Most likely, after he has joined NW in 233, it was last time, when he was mentioned in any of official documents. After he became Watcher, he became no one. At that time he was 35 years old. It happened 40 years prior Tyrion's birth, and 65 years prior events in the beginning of AGOT in 298. When Tyrion was born, Aemon was 75 years old, and in 298 he was 100 years old. In medieval times people rarely lived that long. For example, Hoster Tully died aged 59-61, Aegon I died aged 64, Jaehaerys I died aged 69.

Aemon wasn't someone significant enough, for his life at The Wall, to be followed by some sort of biographer. And he didn't had close relatives, left in 7K. Also for what exactly was he supposed to be remembered by people of the realm? In span of his life, he has done nothing important, aside from refusing to become King, after death of his father.

So it's unlikely, that anyone, outside of NW, knew or thought, that Aemon Targaryen, that went to The Wall in 233, was still alive, several decades later.

And it's not like old Aemon had Targaryen looks, or that his name was purely Targaryen. There was Aegon Frey (Jinglebells, killed by Cat at Red Wedding), Daemon Sand (bastard of House Allyrion from Dorne), Aenys and Rhaegar Freys. 

Thus Tyrion wasn't aware about maester Aemon's identity.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

I can't imagine that he did not know. Tyrion knows his history better than almost everyone. He would most certainly know who had rejected the crown in favor of his younger brother.

Yes, most likely Tyrion did knew, that episode from history of Targaryens, when one of them, named Aemon, refused to take the crown of his deceased father, and instead has joined Night's Watch, while his younger brother became King. Though it were the same things, that were known by general public (at least by those people, that had education, and were able to read). Though there was no reason for Tyrion to think, that that Aemon Targaryen, that went to NW, is still alive. By the time, when Tyrion was born, Aemon Targaryen was 75 years old, and average lifespan of people in Westeros, is not far from 60. So probably Tyrion assumed, that Aemon has died many years ago. And thus he haven't even thought, that this maester Aemon could be THAT Aemon Targaryen.

The thing is, is that after Daeron II has build Summerhall in the Dornish Marches, for his Dornish wife, Mariah Martell, and later his fourth son, Maekar, also married with Dornish wife, Dyanna Dayne, their family (Aemon's and Egg's) was mostly living at Summerhall. So all their personal documents, letters, portraits, historic accounts, etc. all of it was kept at Summerhall, where later it all has burned. The oldest person at Red Keep - Barristan Selmy, was born 3-4 years after Aemon and Bloodraven joined NW. So there's no one still alive, who knew Aemon, prior he went to The Wall. (Except Bloodraven and Shiera)

The source from which we, readers, know, that Aemon and Bloodraven has sailed together to Eastwatch, is one of the journals, that were kept at Castle Black's library. It was a journal of NW. It's unlikely, that some other organisation, ever documented anywhere, that Aemon Targaryen became member of NW. Maybe they did recorded something like that, at Citadel. But, as far as I remember, Tyrion has never visited Citadel. And even when Tyrion came to Castle Black, and went into their library, I'm sure, that when he was browsing thru their books, he was mostly interested, in what kind of books they had about dragons, and legends from beyond The Wall, not about everyday life of Night's Watch, and who were their members.

So there's a very small chance, that Tyrion knew about Aemon. Most likely, that even at the Watch, only a few chosen people knew about his past. The guy arrived there nearly 70 years ago, so those, that did knew his background, all died decades ago. Obviously, that maester Aemon himself, didn't bragged to any new person, that he has met, that he used to be a part of royal family :rolleyes: Aemon, telling his secret to Jon, was a special case, because of their similar circumstances. Thus, from what source exactly, Tyrion could have learned about maester Aemon's identity?

7 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

The way I read it is that Tyrion didnt know at all who Aemon was which is strange because Tyrion would have read a LOT about the Targs. 

Tyrion heard from his maester teacher about the history of the Targaryens but Aemon's story is not going to exactly stand out.  How many people today know the cause of WW1.

1 hour ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

Tyrion heard from his maester teacher about the history of the Targaryens but Aemon's story is not going to exactly stand out.  How many people today know the cause of WW1.

Me lol and I dont read about history often, and Tyrion is said to have been facinated by dragons and the Targaryans because they could ride dragons. 

4 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Me lol and I dont read about history often, and Tyrion is said to have been facinated by dragons and the Targaryans because they could ride dragons. 

Tyrion probably skipped the pages about Aegon and the Targs who didn't have dragons.  It's not something a boy would dwell on.  He would in its place read about the rock star god called Deamon the rogue prince.  Visenya the most badass Targ to ever live.  Aemon was not colorful enough for most boys to read much about.

I think people think of Tyrion like a walking encyclopaedia. Yeah he knows a lot more than almost anyone in the series, but he's not going to be able to personally recognise everyone he reads about, much less someone who only briefly had the opportunity to be someone important years before he was born. 

I don't think Tyrion recognised him, but definitely believe he would have if he tried. Tyrion starts out by being somewhat arrogant in GoT. He coasts by on his family's money and name, and sorta just does what he wants to because he doesn't really have a lot going on. But he's also very aware from the beginning what the Nights Watch has become, and he breaks this news to Jon. 

When he arrives at the wall, I think he enjoys himself because he's around a lot of people who are sort of looked down on by society like he is, but he doesn't particularly care about who they are/were because he doesn't really respect the Nights Watch or what they exist for. I think this is the reason why he didn't really try to find out who anyone was.

11 hours ago, Only 89 selfies today said:

Not someone enlightened to even a modicum of modern history; the Black Hand is not forgotten, and there's a popular band named after the arch duke...

As an American, even I know Gavrilo Princip. If Tyrion was able to guess who the Griff's may be, an old man named Aemon in the watch would certainly be I note to him. The name wasn't common, as only the Freys seemed to dare to name using Targaryen namesakes.

Agreed with the poster above me; had he been under nor pressure, he surely would have  known Aemon. At this point the stories surrounding Aegon V would be numerous and the kind of fancy Tyrion would take to. Had he known who he was however, I believe hed have spent faaaaar more time with him. Aemon would know much and more of Barth, dragons, and the origins and proceedings of House Targaryen. He was truly irreplacable, and I can even imagine Tyrion dedicating a chunk o time to a book of Aemon's accounts.

3 hours ago, Leonardo said:

If Tyrion was able to guess who the Griff's may be, an old man named Aemon in the watch would certainly be I note to him. The name wasn't common, as only the Freys seemed to dare to name using Targaryen namesakes.

Tyrion guessed who was Young Griff, because of Old Griff. It was obvious, that Griff was someone highborn and well educated, and he was also someone from Westeros. Also it was obvious, that the blue is not his natural hair color. And it wouldn't have been hard to find out, that his natural hair color is red. So the red-haired guy, whose name is Griff, and who is from approximately the same generation as Rhaegar Targaryen, and he knows things about 7K, that only someone native could have known - add all of that together, and it becomes obvious, that Griff is Jon Connigton, exiled Lord of Griffin's Roost (all Conningtons are red-heads). It was known, that Jon Connington, after he was exiled, became member of Golden Company, and later has drunk himself to death. The part about his death is a lie, though, based on Griff's companions, it was likely, that the part about Golden Company was truthful. Now add to the mix, Illyrio's assosiation with Golden Company and Varys, and it becomes obvious, not only that Griff is Jon Connington, but also that Young Griff is an imposter, that is supposed to pretend to be son of Rhaegar Targaryen.

It wasn't hard, to figure out fAegon's identity, because of his Valyrian looks, and because of Jon Connington. But in case with maester Aemon, the same thing couldn't have been done. Because Aemon didn't had anymore his Valyrian looks, and there was no one close to him, that could have accidentaly revealed to Tyrion, who maester Aemon could actually be.

So from what source exactly, could have Tyrion found out, about Aemon's real identity?

4 hours ago, Leonardo said:

Not someone enlightened to even a modicum of modern history; the Black Hand is not forgotten, and there's a popular band named after the arch duke...

As an American, even I know Gavrilo Princip. If Tyrion was able to guess who the Griff's may be, an old man named Aemon in the watch would certainly be I note to him. The name wasn't common, as only the Freys seemed to dare to name using Targaryen namesakes.

We will have to agree to disagree on this matter.  A nonriding Targ like Aemon is dull subject for a boy who dreamed of dragons.  

20 hours ago, Megorova said:

Yes, most likely Tyrion did knew, that episode from history of Targaryens, when one of them, named Aemon, refused to take the crown of his deceased father, and instead has joined Night's Watch, while his younger brother became King. Though it were the same things, that were known by general public (at least by those people, that had education, and were able to read). Though there was no reason for Tyrion to think, that that Aemon Targaryen, that went to NW, is still alive. By the time, when Tyrion was born, Aemon Targaryen was 75 years old, and average lifespan of people in Westeros, is not far from 60. So probably Tyrion assumed, that Aemon has died many years ago. And thus he haven't even thought, that this maester Aemon could be THAT Aemon Targaryen.

The thing is, is that after Daeron II has build Summerhall in the Dornish Marches, for his Dornish wife, Mariah Martell, and later his fourth son, Maekar, also married with Dornish wife, Dyanna Dayne, their family (Aemon's and Egg's) was mostly living at Summerhall. So all their personal documents, letters, portraits, historic accounts, etc. all of it was kept at Summerhall, where later it all has burned. The oldest person at Red Keep - Barristan Selmy, was born 3-4 years after Aemon and Bloodraven joined NW. So there's no one still alive, who knew Aemon, prior he went to The Wall. (Except Bloodraven and Shiera)

The source from which we, readers, know, that Aemon and Bloodraven has sailed together to Eastwatch, is one of the journals, that were kept at Castle Black's library. It was a journal of NW. It's unlikely, that some other organisation, ever documented anywhere, that Aemon Targaryen became member of NW. Maybe they did recorded something like that, at Citadel. But, as far as I remember, Tyrion has never visited Citadel. And even when Tyrion came to Castle Black, and went into their library, I'm sure, that when he was browsing thru their books, he was mostly interested, in what kind of books they had about dragons, and legends from beyond The Wall, not about everyday life of Night's Watch, and who were their members.

So there's a very small chance, that Tyrion knew about Aemon. Most likely, that even at the Watch, only a few chosen people knew about his past. The guy arrived there nearly 70 years ago, so those, that did knew his background, all died decades ago. Obviously, that maester Aemon himself, didn't bragged to any new person, that he has met, that he used to be a part of royal family :rolleyes: Aemon, telling his secret to Jon, was a special case, because of their similar circumstances. Thus, from what source exactly, Tyrion could have learned about maester Aemon's identity?

If we were talking about anyone but Tyrion I would agree with you. But he knows his history and he is smart enough to put 2&2 together and also not to blurt it out to anyone who might not know.

Remember, it was Bloodraven who accompanied Aemon to the Wall, not the other way around. When Aemon passed on the crown and decided to join the Night's Watch, Aegon emptied the dungeons, including BR, as Aemon's "honor guard" and sent Ser Duncan the Tall, not yet in the KG but still a renowned knight at this point, to accompany them. So Aemon's departure to the Wall was not done in secret and was not simply buried away in some scroll at CB. It was a well-documented event -- certainly something that a well-read noble would be aware of.

Archived