U.S. Politics: The Marionette Presidency Edition

Yes we understand that fine, however, if you want to be effective at 'terrorizing', suicide by political mental disease assassination and being a criminal it's better for you that your homemade gun from the internet doesn't explode and blind you with 2% chance when you're busy spraying and praying so people are questioning the utility in the near future. Revolvers are pretty bad, by themselves ofc, but it's the 'no effort' thing that will lead to proliferation - as a counter balance for now, it might be in the public interests to spread far and wide the dumb criminal blowing off his fingers stories in the news.

Myself i think that gunpowder and bullet availability is what will end up being controlled in the countries that want to control it. Maybe make them harder on barrels too.

edit: there is the interesting point that even unloaded homemade plastic guns will start to be dangerous enough to intimidate cashiers. Also toy guns (sold on stores) might be be a thing of the past (for the sane countries anyway) for much the same reason.

When Republican sorts of people, run around bemoaning the lack of “civility”, I think what they really mean is: “We’d like you to fight with one hand tied behind your back.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/michigan-gop-boasted-about-stuffing-dem-garbage-gerrymandered-districts

When partisans go through the process of creating gerrymandered district lines, it’s easy to imagine them describing their efforts in crude and raw terms. But it’s one thing to imagine the language; it’s something else to see the emails documenting it. The New York Times  reported:

One of the messages, for example, noted the creation of a congressional district that looked like it had an extended finger. “Perfect. It’s giving the finger to Sandy Levin,” an unnamed Michigan Republican wrote, referring to a longtime Democratic congressman. “I love it.”

Another message from a GOP staffer bragged about cramming “Dem garbage” into four southeast Michigan congressional districts.

If Republican sorts of people want to take the gloves off, the then fine with me, just don’t go around whining about civility.

A fourth, sent by a different Michigan Chamber of Commerce leader, urged Republicans to be cautious – “for legal and PR purposes” – not to make the gerrymandered map look too “obvious.”

Now why am I not surprised that somebody from the Chamber of Commerce would be a mealy mouthed bull shit artist?

7 hours ago, lokisnow said:

The entire point of 3D printed guns isn’t so they last a long time. It’s so people with gun fetishes can have pirated versions of copyrighted designs for cheap in their gun collections. It’s just like pirating books music or movies. Same idea, people want them for cheap/free and most importantly they believe they are entitled to ALL of them because they WANT them. They probably won’t even use most of them ever but they HAVE to have them.

If you’re confused on this point rocket explains it at the end of guardians of the galaxy.

And the other reason is to have an untraceable gun to commit a crime. You don’t need the gun to last forever you don’t necesaaorly even need it to fire, you just need it to be good for a relatively short amount of time. Next hit you just print up a new gun. The entire idea is that you don’t need or want the expensive durability, you want cheap disposability.  

Actually, I thought the whole purpose was to have a gun that gets past metal detectors.

1 hour ago, OldGimletEye said:

When Republican sorts of people, run around bemoaning the lack of “civility”, I think what they really mean is: “We’d like you to fight with one hand tied behind your back.”

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/michigan-gop-boasted-about-stuffing-dem-garbage-gerrymandered-districts

If Republican sorts of people want to take the gloves off, the then fine with me, just don’t go around whining about civility.

Now why am I not surprised that somebody from the Chamber of Commerce would be a mealy mouthed bull shit artist?

If you get rid of single member districts in the HOR no Political Party can use Gerrymandering.

Just now, Scott de Montevideo! said:

If you get rid of single member districts in the HOR no Political Party can use Gerrymandering.

I'm certainly not against making reforms to stop the practice of Gerrymandering. Nor am I in denial that Democrats do it too.

But, what gets my goat, is how Republicans bemoan the loss of "civility", when they are playing for keeps. They are simply being full of shit.

And then you have Mr. Chamber of Commerce guy running around wanting to keep up appearances, but couldn't give one iota of hoot about "civility" when it comes down to it. The bullshitter.

13 hours ago, Bonnot OG said:

No one deserves to have that much money. 

How can you expect to buy yourself a cabinet position without that kind of money?  Actual experience takes WAY too much effort.

3 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

I'm certainly not against making reforms to stop the practice of Gerrymandering. Nor am I in denial that Democrats do it too.

But, what gets my goat, is how Republicans bemoan the loss of "civility", when they are playing for keeps. They are simply being full of shit.

And then you have Mr. Chamber of Commerce guy running around wanting to keep up appearances, but couldn't give one iota of hoot about "civility" when it comes down to it. The bullshitter.

The bitching about “civility” from those on the right and the Republicans is a steaming pile of bullshit.  That said, as Shryke pointed out years ago, the US system of government doesn’t work with two ideologically opposed parties.  It is designed to force compromise and consensus.  Where the parties refuse to compromise, because compromise with “evil” is surrender to evil, incoherent governance will result.

We are fundamentally broken.

28 minutes ago, aceluby said:

How can you expect to buy yourself a cabinet position without that kind of money?  Actual experience takes WAY too much effort.

SoD clearly missed the section of the Bible where Jesus said, "Make as much money as possible and screw those dirty poor people, they aren't real humans anyways." 

Sigh, I hate that the loudest proponents of Christianity are the people most likely to have missed Jesus' message.

9 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Messaging continuing to change to lower expectations. Working with a foreign government to get dirt on your political opponent is totally fine.

Anything and everything is justifiable so long as it helps you maintain power.

-Republican mantra

41 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Kind of surprised to see the markets are down despite the really positive GDP numbers for Q2.

The stock market is a bad indicator of the overall economy in the end. Too many people put a lot stock (N.P.I) in its day to day movements, and I done that myself.

The G.P.D growth could mean an increase in inflation which the markets really do not like. More examination of the trade talk with the E.U may of been too rosy. There can just be some good old profit taking.

6 hours ago, Scott de Montevideo! said:

The bitching about “civility” from those on the right and the Republicans is a steaming pile of bullshit.  That said, as Shryke pointed out years ago, the US system of government doesn’t work with two ideologically opposed parties.  It is designed to force compromise and consensus.  Where the parties refuse to compromise, because compromise with “evil” is surrender to evil, incoherent governance will result.

We are fundamentally broken.

While this maybe true, I would like to point out that the democrats, as a party, have remained open to discussion and compromise.  The behavior that has broken our government largely rests with one and only one party, the GOP.  They are the party that has systematically and from the top down embraced a strategy of no compromise, they are the party that viciously and in many cases dishonestly demonized their opposition.  They are the party that has, over the last 40 years, pushed itself towards ideological purity and away a rationale, realistic approach to governing.  While there are many faults to pile on the democrats,  they are not the one that has created this mess and they are not the party that continues to drive us headlong towards crisis.  This is not a case of there being plenty of blame to go around.  Rather, it is a situation it is a case of one party acting very badly.  If anything the democrats can be faulted for continuing to behave as if we remain in a normal, functional environment.  

Yes, I know there are many on the left who demand no compromise and in doing so start to mirror the insanity on the right.  This approach has not yet been embraced by the democratic party.  

19 minutes ago, davos said:

While this maybe true, I would like to point out that the democrats, as a party, have remained open to discussion and compromise.  The behavior that has broken our government largely rests with one and only one party, the GOP.  They are the party that has systematically and from the top down embraced a strategy of no compromise, they are the party that viciously and in many cases dishonestly demonized their opposition.  They are the party that has, over the last 40 years, pushed itself towards ideological purity and away a rationale, realistic approach to governing.  While there are many faults to pile on the democrats,  they are not the one that has created this mess and they are not the party that continues to drive us headlong towards crisis.  This is not a case of there being plenty of blame to go around.  Rather, it is a situation it is a case of one party acting very badly.  If anything the democrats can be faulted for continuing to behave as if we remain in a normal, functional environment.  

Yes, I know there are many on the left who demand no compromise and in doing so start to mirror the insanity on the right.  This approach has not yet been embraced by the democratic party.  

I'm not arguing the Republicans are not more guilty of this than the Democrats.  Newt Gingrich and his "Republican Revolution" in 1994 were the real starting point for the whole push for ideological purity with the Republicans.  It's been downhill ever since.  I do think there is some irony in that Shryke pined for a Government completely controlled by the Democratic party stating that was the only way Government could properly function in the US was with one party control.  Shryke got what Shryke wanted, just not with the party Shyrke prefered.  :( 

2 hours ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

The stock market is a bad indicator of the overall economy in the end. Too many people put a lot stock (N.P.I) in its day to day movements, and I done that myself.

The G.P.D growth could mean an increase in inflation which the markets really do not like. More examination of the trade talk with the E.U may of been too rosy. There can just be some good old profit taking.

I know, and there are a lot of factors involved, but I would have expected a strong day and close to the week on the heels of this news.

Trump Thought Turkey’s Erdogan Was His Friend. Now He’s Mad.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/trump-thought-turkeys-erdogan-was-his-friend-now-hes-mad.html

After weeks of seeming improvement, U.S.-Turkish relations took a nosedive this week, with Trump threatening on Twitter to “impose large sanctions” on the country over the ongoing detention of American pastor the Rev. Andrew Brunson. Vice President Mike Pence made a similar threat the same day, and the Senate Foreign Relations committee this week unanimously passed legislation that would use U.S. influence on the World Bank to prevent financial assistance to Turkey as long as Brunson and other U.S. citizens are detained. Turkey’s foreign minister responded to the threats, “No one dictates Turkey. We will never tolerate threats from anybody.”

Most ‘Trump Ten’ Democratic Senators Doing Better Than Trump in Their States

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/07/most-trump-ten-democratic-senators-doing-better-than-trump.html

But there are two mitigating factors we sometimes forget: (1) presidential elections are comparative, while midterms tend to be (usually sour) referenda on the party that controls the White House, which means you cannot assume the partisan balance in any given state will remain the same, and (2) it’s not 2016 anymore, and Trump’s popularity can’t be assumed to have remained static all this time in every state.

You can see the difference a more dynamic view of the “Trump Ten” senators makes in the latest quarterly state-by-state numbers showing Senate approval and disapproval ratings from Morning Consult. They did something interesting: They directly compared the average net approval ratings for senators from April through June with those of the president over the same period of time in the same states. Turns out eight of the Trump Ten are doing better than Trump himself in their states.

49 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

I know, and there are a lot of factors involved, but I would have expected a strong day and close to the week on the heels of this news.

Well, apologize if anything came off as condescending.

The stock market just does not function the way you think you will in many cases. It is a strange and irrational system in many ways. It is not too far removed from reading chicken entrails and Trillions of Dollars are base on it.

Archived