U.S. Politics: The Marionette Presidency Edition

Old thread is still at 20 pages. You're a piece of work

Meanwhile, I'm totally not lashing out cause you didn't engage in my funzies.

If you were a member of the Mobile Infantry you'd be the guy who gets his arm broke by Drill Instructor Zim.

Generic ballot is over 9 points in favor of dems last I checked. Who else thinks the R's will keep the House in a totally NOT SUSPICIOUS AT ALL heroic stand for Truth, Justice, and the Russian Way?

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Old thread is still at 20 pages. You're a piece of work

Meanwhile, I'm totally not lashing out cause you didn't engage in my funzies.

If you were a member of the Mobile Infantry you'd be the guy who gets his arm broke by Drill Instructor Zim.

But it was at 400 posts, and Jace has been greedy with thread titles as of late.

And there was nowhere left to go with your funzies. I can’t sit here and rub your belly all day, brah.

Lastly, I’m not in the Mobile Infantry. I’m SpaceForce baby, which means I’m in Fleet, and Mobile Infantry and Fleet don’t mix!

Spoiler

Generic ballot is over 9 points in favor of dems last I checked. Who else thinks the R's will keep the House in a totally NOT SUSPICIOUS AT ALL heroic stand for Truth, Justice, and the Russian Way?

I haven’t checked the website yet, but Charlie Cook was on NPR yesterday and he said that he’s project Dems to pick up 20-35 seats and he gave them a 70% chance to retake the House. On the Senate side, he said Dems will likely lose 0-3 seats.

1 hour ago, Morpheus said:

“For the People” is the Dem slogan for 2018. 

They still suck at branding.

Jesus fucking Christ that is a terrifying slogan, I will let sir terry and Vimes explain:

And some had been idiots as mad as Swing, with a view of the world just as rigid and unreal, who were on the side of what they called 'the people'. Vimes had spent his life on the streets, and had met decent men and fools and people who'd steal a penny from a blind beggar and people who performed silent miracles or desperate crimes every day behind the grubby windows of little houses, but he'd never met The People.

People on the side of The People always ended up disappointed, in any case. They found that The People tended not to be grateful or appreciative or forward-thinking or obedient. The People tended to be small-minded and conservative and not very clever and were even distrustful of cleverness. And so the children of the revolution were faced with the age-old problem: it wasn't that you had the wrong kind of government, which was obvious, but that you had the wrong kind of people.

As soon as you saw people as things to be measured, they didn't measure up. What would run through the streets soon enough wouldn't be a revolution or a riot. It'd be people who were frightened and panicking. It was what happened when the machinery of city life faltered, the wheels stopped turning and all the little rules broke down. And when that happened, humans were worse than sheep. Sheep just ran; they didn't try to bite the sheep next to them.” 
― Terry PratchettNight Watch

19 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Jesus fucking Christ that is a terrifying slogan, I will let sir terry and Vimes explain:

This was in my sig for years:

"There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long -- people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution." 

-- Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan

(Which seems to get more relevant and prescient every day in the foul Age of Trump)

I'm with the folks at Vox, Democrats should've just brought back Al Gore's 2000 campaign slogan (and actually use it, which he mostly didn't):

The people, not the powerful

It's not necessarily better if you follow Pratchett's criticism, but I think it is an improvement since identifies an antagonist rather than being as generic as For the people is.

Interesting theory on what Mueller may be up to with regards to subpoenaing Trump and his brood. Here is the meat of the article:

For months, we’ve been debating whether special counsel Robert Mueller will or will not subpoena President Donald Trump to testify before the grand jury. This debate has intensified recently given the fact that one of the president’s attorneys, Rudolph Giuliani, all but announced that the president will not submit to a voluntary interview.

One might ask, why doesn’t Mueller just subpoena the president to force him to tell the grand jury his side of the story on a variety of topics, including why he fired former FBI Director James Comey and why he participated in drafting an inaccurate narrative about the Trump Tower meeting between members of his campaign and Russian representatives. My 30 years of experience as a federal prosecutor tell me that there are at least three possible reasons why Mueller may decide to forgo a presidential grand jury subpoena altogether.

...................................................................................................................................................................................................

The third possibility — and one that I suggest is growing more likely by the day — is that evidentiary developments in the investigation may have moved the president from being a “subject” of the investigation to being a “target.” If this is the case, then Department of Justice policies would strongly argue against using a grand jury subpoena to compel the president to testify.

Prosecutors have wide latitude regarding whom to subpoena. It’s important to keep in mind that a grand jury subpoena is a court order directing that the witness appear and testify. Once subpoenaed, the witness must appear and provide testimony, unless the witness has a legitimate legal privilege that would trump the requirement to testify. For example, if a witness is a doctor who was subpoenaed to give testimony about something her patient told her in furtherance of medical treatment, the doctor/witness could refuse to testify by invoking doctor-patient privilege. Other legally recognized privileges include clergy-penitent, marital privilege and the Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination.

The U.S. Attorney’s Manual defines a target as a person whom the prosecutor has “substantial evidence linking him/her to a crime” and who the prosecutor “deems is a putative defendant.” In laymen’s terms, this means a target is someone the prosecutor intends to indict.

But a guiding principle of grand jury practice is that prosecutors generally do not subpoena targets. This is because it would be futile to subpoena a target only to have that witness refuse to testify by invoking the Fifth Amendment. This principle is a corollary to the bedrock trial principle that a defendant has an absolute right not to testify at his own trial. Prosecutors generally avoid trying to force defendants to incriminate themselves via a grand jury.

Mueller’s investigation has been ongoing since he was appointed special counsel on May 17, 2017.Although news accounts show that many people have been subpoenaed to testify before the grand jury, there are a number of relevant players who conspicuously have not been subpoenaed (as far as we know) — including Roger Stone, Jared Kushner, Donald Trump Jr. and the president himself.

..................................................................................................................................................................................
One other pattern has emerged that could provide additional insight. Several of the individuals indicted were not subpoenaed prior to being charged. For example, Paul Manafort (obviously a target) was not subpoenaed to the grand jury; he was indicted. Rick Gates was not subpoenaed to the grand jury; he was indicted. Alex van der Zwaan was not subpoenaed to the grand jury; he was indicted. Of course, this pattern doesn’t prove that Stone, Kushner, Don Jr. or the president are targets of Mueller’s investigation or that they will be indicted. However, it is elucidating and entirely consistent with my experience. Maybe Mueller is simply biding his time.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/why-hasn-t-robert-mueller-subpoenaed-trump-three-theories-about-ncna892591

22 hours ago, LongRider said:

This sounds awkward...

There's a lot of speculation that he was watching this live and ordered Sanders to send out the tweet to troll him. I'd laugh at the notion if it were levied at any other politician, but with Trump, you never know.......

6 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Michael Cohen taped a conversation with Trump about paying off one of his mistresses

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/us/politics/michael-cohen-trump-tape.html

Well we can say one thing for sure, Melania's plausible deniability has been set on fire.

Also, has it been confirmed that this Playboy model was Karen Mcdougal? Because if it hasn't that means Shera Bechard could still be in play as she was a Playboy model too. For those who don't remember, she was the one who got a $1.6m hush deal in part because she got pregnant and was encouraged to have an abortion. There's been some speculation that Broidy, the guy who supposedly got her pregnant, took the fall for Trump. 

Mueller team wants to talk to 'Manhattan Madam'

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/20/politics/mueller-manhattan-madam/index.html

Special counsel Robert Mueller's team has reached out to the lawyer for Kristin Davis, famously known as the "Manhattan madam," a source familiar with the matter says.

Davis, who went to jail as a part of the scandal surrounding former Democratic New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer, has worked for Roger Stone, an outside political adviser President Donald Trump. They are close -- Stone is the godfather to Davis' son.
The same source said Davis did clerical and website work for Stone.
No subpoena has been issued yet, and the source did not have direct knowledge of why Mueller is interested in Davis.

4 hours ago, Fez said:

I'm with the folks at Vox, Democrats should've just brought back Al Gore's 2000 campaign slogan (and actually use it, which he mostly didn't):

The people, not the powerful

It's not necessarily better if you follow Pratchett's criticism, but I think it is an improvement since identifies an antagonist rather than being as generic as For the people is.

Wait, wait, there is a much better campaign slogan for the Dems to put out there, and Mitch McConnell, through all his jowls, delivered it a couple of days ago. On Russia: "It really better not happen again in 2018."

That is a perfect campaign slogan for so many things. Stupid democrats. They're terrible at this. For the people? That's embarrassing. I can't say that in public places.

Wasn't last years dipwad slogan "The Real Deal" or sumshit?  Now we got "For the People", put'em together and you got "The Read Deal For the People.(?)"  Jeebus, wake me up already, what a snore.

They need to look past the corporate marketeers  and the focus groups and true believers, and hire some NeverTrumper who is pissed at the GOP for turning his party into shit and really, I mean, really wants to hurt them.  Pull some of that fire out their bellies and have them bring a slogan that incinerates the GOP.  "For the People"  pppfffttt!   What next?  "Here is a nice broom."    m'eh  

9 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

There's a lot of speculation that he was watching this live and ordered Sanders to send out the tweet to troll him. I'd laugh at the notion if it were levied at any other politician, but with Trump, you never know.......

I thought it was ABC, not Fox?

17 hours ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Also, has it been confirmed that this Playboy model was Karen Mcdougal? Because if it hasn't that means Shera Bechard could still be in play as she was a Playboy model too. For those who don't remember, she was the one who got a $1.6m hush deal in part because she got pregnant and was encouraged to have an abortion. There's been some speculation that Broidy, the guy who supposedly got her pregnant, took the fall for Trump. 

It was about a payment to AMI to buy the McDougal story. Also, fairly sure Shera Bechard has never met Trump and there was a PI who followed Broidy years ago to an apartment building that Bechard lived in. 

As an aside, all of the news yesterday says that the Special Master marked that tape as privileged and Trump's team said it was fine. They're the ones who released the tape, likely to change the national conversation after Helsinki or to undercut Cohen's ability to negotiate. Hope the National Media doesn't take the bait.

8 minutes ago, Mexal said:

It was about a payment to AMI to buy the McDougal story. Also, fairly sure Shera Bechard has never met Trump and there was a PI who followed Broidy years ago to an apartment building that Bechard lived in. 

As an aside, all of the news yesterday says that the Special Master marked that tape as privileged and Trump's team said it was fine. They're the ones who released the tape, likely to change the national conversation after Helsinki or to undercut Cohen's ability to negotiate. Hope the National Media doesn't take the bait.

This kind of strategy remind me of a boxer using his face to block punches. 

Archived