Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot in the works

Werthead

Interesting.

There seems to be some confusion around this news, but it appears that 20th Century Fox is developing a 100% new reboot of Buffy with Monica Owusu-Breen as showrunner and reportedly an African-American actress in consideration for the role of Buffy Summers. This will be a ground-up, contemporary reboot. Joss Whedon is involved as producer and may co-write the first episode, but he won't be involved beyond that as he's working on The Nevers for HBO.

I've seen some people speculating that this is actually a "Next Generation" deal, the new main character will be a new Slayer but not Buffy and some of the original actors may reappear. However, I think that's wishful thinking and conflating the new idea with Joss Whedon's ideas from last year, where he talked about a next generation story being possible but awkward (due to the ageing, however graceful, of the actors playing vampire characters).

I think that recapturing the magic of the original show is going to be very, very difficult indeed.

I mean, people who know me on here know this is my all time favorite show ever ever ever ever + 1. I have TRADING STICKERS.  I used to buy Buffy fruit snacks! This news almost mad me actually flip my desk, I mean I tried, its just to heavy.

Joss being possible involved gives me a tiny teeny sliver of hope.

If it's a literal reboot, no interest at all. But as they talk that it "builds on the mythology", to me that sounds more indicative that it's a follow-up, and that might be interesting, especially if the "mythology" in question includes that continuation of the Buffy series in comic form (they recently wrapped up "Season 11" and I think "Season 12" is to be the last of those.)

1 hour ago, Ran said:

If it's a literal reboot, no interest at all. But as they talk that it "builds on the mythology", to me that sounds more indicative that it's a follow-up, and that might be interesting, especially if the "mythology" in question includes that continuation of the Buffy series in comic form (they recently wrapped up "Season 11" and I think "Season 12" is to be the last of those.)

I can't see how this can be a continuation and keep the comic mythology in place. I haven't read beyond season 8 (I gave up when it turned out the comics couldn't even maintain the lie of official continuations between the Buffy and angel comics) but wasn't the whole point of the "fray" series that magic was extinguished during Buffy's time?

I strongly suspect they'll shit in the good faith of the readers who spent a lot of money on the comics by utterly disregarding and contradicting them.

Given the timing (it is a new generation), I guess a new slayer could be activated although again I don't know if the comics reinstated that mythology but didn't the show end with all the potential slayers becoming slayers? And it would mean Buffy was dead so at least no problems with not involving Michelle gellar.

All the shows vampires would need to be recast as there's no way Any of them can claim to be unaged. James Marsters even placed an expiry date on the role for that reason saying it would be silly. Although they may have become human in which case alls good.

I think for fans of the original to take the show seriously there would need to be at least one character (preferably the original actor) turning up in the show for legitimacy. The obvious candidate to me would be Xander as her watcher. Although I think the actor went through some problems that might mean recasting is required? Maybe Anthony head as a guest star head of the watchers? I don't know but I feel that's the only way they'd convince me this was a genuine continuation.

I think it's good it's not going to be whedon's show anymore. As much as I loved the show I can't help but think it was a product of its time and a replication might not work today. TV has improved a lot over the last 20 years. One thing I hope they do keep was the original's excellent balance between individual episodes, session and series arcs something that seems to be a lost art in today's bingeable TV.

"Season 12" is revisiting the Fray timeline, so it's entirely possible that Whedon's intention (he's writing at least one issue, IIRC, and appears more heavily involved with this story than he has been in previous seasons) will be to reach an end point of the comic that will make room for this series (if it's a sequel and not a reboot). Or, who knows, even if it's a reboot I suppose he could do some time-line wonkery.

Or maybe he just won't care. We'll have to wait and see on the details.

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

"Season 12" is revisiting the Fray timeline, so it's entirely possible that Whedon's intention (he's writing at least one issue, IIRC, and appears more heavily involved with this story than he has been in previous seasons) will be to reach an end point of the comic that will make room for this series (if it's a sequel and not a reboot). Or, who knows, even if it's a reboot I suppose he could do some time-line wonkery.

Or maybe he just won't care. We'll have to wait and see on the details.

Hopefully the former. I'm tired of people being lied to regarding the authenticity of comic continuations if TV shows.

I guess the fact it's wrapping up does reflect the development of the new show

According to these, so far there's nobody and nothing are attached to the project -- so far it's merely an idea that will be flogged around -- a new, black slayer, directed by a black writer.  That's what they got, evidently.  Such failure of imagination.  They could have the Slayer fighting traitor to their people nazi politicians around the world, for instance.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/african-american-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-reboot-on-the-way.html

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/buffy-vampire-slayer-reboot-inclusive-take-joss-whedon-works-1128888

I'm decidedly meh about this. I like Buffy and Angel a lot, but I'm not sure there's much more that needs to be said. Buffy had a pretty good finale after a bad couple of seasons, Angel had an amazing finale after an excellent run of episodes. Do we really need more, whether in reboot or sequel form? It's not like it was the world that was so interesting in these shows. It was the characters, their relationships, the good villains (when the shows were at their best), the clever standalone episodes, and the snappy Whedon dialogue.

17 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I mean, people who know me on here know this is my all time favorite show ever ever ever ever + 1. I have TRADING STICKERS.  I used to buy Buffy fruit snacks! This news almost mad me actually flip my desk, I mean I tried, its just to heavy.

Joss being possible involved gives me a tiny teeny sliver of hope.

My family's first cat was named Buffy because of this show.

I agree that it should be in the continuity and not a reboot. But if it is in continuity, now you have two girls named Buffy in the world. It's not a common name.

22 minutes ago, The EnglishBear said:

I'm going to reserve judgement, I love Buffy (and slightly more so Angel,) but regardless of how this turns out it'll still be there. If it's good, great, if not I haven't lost anything. :dunno:

Well, you will have lost something, because They decided to try and play safe and just do-over instead of prospecting for something new and special and original, something creative, rather than coasting on what's already been done before.

Like Orphan Black was!

Archived