Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot in the works

Werthead

On 2/11/2019 at 11:22 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Huh, does Disney own this now or is Fox TV separate? I can never that that straight.

Disney own it now. I think they even acknowledged that Buffy would be eligible to be a Disney Princess. Although I believe Fox TV is running semi-autonomously for now and Disney aren't interfering too much beyond looking at the superhero stuff that may be shut down (a la Netflix) to tie back into the MCU (which may be why Legion was just cancelled).

Doesn't this mean the show has to be a remake?

Or they just do a next-generation show involving Buffy in some fashion. Sarah Michelle Gellar is like 42, she's not over the hill or anything, and you could take several approaches, including her training new, younger Slayers who perhaps do more of the fighting whilst Buffy takes on a Giles role (advising and occasionally kicking arse when required).

But yeah, remake is more likely.

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2019 at 11:10 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Heh, i HATE season 3 of angel.

Whichever season of angel revolved around connor was a pain in the ass. The season where they utterly lost the plot with how to handle cordelia wasn't great either. Possibly the same seasons. Some of the arcs in Angel were awful. But then there was wesley's character arc which was excellent. Luckily season 5 was one of their strongest allowing them to go out on a high

10 hours ago, red snow said:

Luckily season 5 was one of their strongest allowing them to go out on a high

Craft and Fain got executive producer credits for the artfully done episodes with Wes & Illyria chit chat ( in which a soul-sick Wes narrowly & meekly convinced Illyria not to decimate humanity).  so i got the impression they were brought in to help with that arc and punch up the witchy goddess aspect of those scenes which 'sang to me' as Dru would say.   Whedon may have been sitting at the table too cuz we've since seen his love of Shakeapearean things, and the Avengers II exchange between Vision and Ultron evoked the same kind of god level therapy session vibe.

1 hour ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Craft and Fain got executive producer credits for the artfully done episodes with Wes & Illyria chit chat ( in which a soul-sick Wes narrowly & meekly convinced Illyria not to decimate humanity).  so i got the impression they were brought in to help with that arc and punch up the witchy goddess aspect of those scenes which 'sang to me' as Dru would say.   Whedon may have been sitting at the table too cuz we've since seen his love of Shakeapearean things, and the Avengers II exchange between Vision and Ultron evoked the same kind of god level therapy session vibe.

Yeah the Illyria and wes stuff was heartbreaking particularly when the whole "do you want me to pretend" thing came along. It was also so harsh in a world where death and afterlife are interchangeable for a character to have their soul destroyed just seemed so bleak. It really was "the dark phoenix" done properly in tv/film. I was interested to see where Illyria would have went with additional seasons.

I also liked season 5 spike (because he's spike) claiming he might be the vampire of prophecy. Which worked for me as spike sought out a soul while angelus was simply cursed with it (and actually continued being bad for a while with a soul).

Season 5 of Angel definitely washed out the bad taste that the second half of 3 and all of 4 left in my mouth. I did not like anything that had to do with Connor, Cordelia's character getting destroyed, or Jasmine as a big bad. Season 5 was a welcome return to some of the inherent goofiness that seasons 1 and 2 had (going far beyond them in some cases), while also being capable of being really dark in more interesting ways than 3/4 were.

6 minutes ago, Fez said:

Season 5 of Angel definitely washed out the bad taste that the second half of 3 and all of 4 left in my mouth. I did not like anything that had to do with Connor, Cordelia's character getting destroyed, or Jasmine as a big bad. Season 5 was a welcome return to some of the inherent goofiness that seasons 1 and 2 had (going far beyond them in some cases), while also being capable of being really dark in more interesting ways than 3/4 were.

Hey now the Faith episodes of Season 4 are great.

22 hours ago, Werthead said:

A new video confirming that Buffy's HD remaster is still a POS and Fox haven't fixed it and it's still the only version available on the major streaming services. Sigh.

So me just clicking on this thread resulted in this video being recommended on my youtube page. I never watched a video from this channel. Google is my master.

And speaking of masters, hopefully Disney does something with this.

We go around this every couple years but season 4 of angel is the best season of the buffyverse. It came out 17 years ago and was a first in doing massive serialized episodic content, and did it with style and actual resolution. 

It was also dark as fuck. 

I didn't like season 3 as much, but 4 starts out with a brutal beginning and just goes nuts from there, and even has the balls to point out the horribleness of a perfect world. Season 4 had angel stop utopia and join the business of evil, and that was a happy ending. 

7 hours ago, Lord of Rhinos said:

Yeah, season 4 of Angel is the best season.

The Beast was such a great villain. I still love the first battle with him. My favorite part is towards the end where you think Angel is getting his second win and about to make a comeback only to get curb stomped by the guy. It was nice to have a villain that was a real physical threat to the entire team for once.

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

From what I recall Illyria was supposed to be a temporary thing, then they got canceled and went "Fuck it, freds dead, suck it".

I'm not sure of the timing, but IIRC the cancelation was very unexpected and happened very late in the development of the season. Whedon had gone to the network asking them to renew the show earlier than usual so that they could get started on season 6 without a long break, and instead the network cancelled for some reason. Everyone was surprised by the decision and there's been a long-running assumption that if Whedon hadn't made the early request the show would've been renewed. Point being, I don't know if if everything written that we saw of the Illyria storyline was created prior to the cancellation or if there was enough time to make changes and go out in glorious fire after the decision.

14 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Hey now the Faith episodes of Season 4 are great.

Fair. There are certainly some good episodes in the season. But I will never forgive it for how badly the show treated Cordelia and how immediately she was forgotten afterwards.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm not sure of the timing, but IIRC the cancelation was very unexpected and happened very late in the development of the season. Whedon had gone to the network asking them to renew the show earlier than usual so that they could get started on season 6 without a long break, and instead the network cancelled for some reason. Everyone was surprised by the decision and there's been a long-running assumption that if Whedon hadn't made the early request the show would've been renewed. Point being, I don't know if if everything written that we saw of the Illyria storyline was created prior to the cancellation or if there was enough time to make changes and go out in glorious fire after the decision.

Fair. There are certainly some good episodes in the season. But I will never forgive it for how badly the show treated Cordelia and how immediately she was forgotten afterwards.

I’ve always wondered about that. Did  Charisma Carpenter want off the show or something? It was weird because they kept her around for a while, only for her to sleep episode after episode, giving her star billing. It was easily one of the strangest ways I’ve seen a character written off a show.

Season 1 of Angel ends really well, but the first half is pretty weak. Season 2 is a huge improvement but is let down by the closing arc on Pylea, which is just silly. Season 3 is about as good as Season 2 at its best except for the fact that Connor is not a particularly compelling character. He suffers from some of the same issues as Dawn (young teenage character joins ensemble halfway through run and the viewers are supposed to care) but the actor is far less capable than Michelle Trachtenberg and he doesn't make the audience very sympathetic.

Season 4 is probably the best season of them all for the sheer intensity of the building action, with each cliffhanger more insane than the one before it. The latter part of the season, where we lose Cordelia and Connor becomes more important, loses a bit of fizz, but it's still reasonably decent. I feel like Season 4 of Angel is like Season 6 of Buffy: dark as fuck and it felt very different on a first viewing but it's improved immensely with age. It helps that S4 wasn't quite as character-destroyingly dark as S6 of Buffy.

Season 5 is probably a bit too goofy and it doesn't help that Marsters and Boreanaz are clearly now much older than they were compared to their first appearances (Boreanaz also definitely feels like he's not been hitting the gym as much as he did previously). Fantastic ending though, and the Illyria stuff was very well-done.

5 hours ago, sifth said:

I’ve always wondered about that. Did  Charisma Carpenter want off the show or something? It was weird because they kept her around for a while, only for her to sleep episode after episode, giving her star billing. It was easily one of the strangest ways I’ve seen a character written off a show.

One of the working theories (given some more credence by the more recent Whedon revelations) is that Carpenter might be the actress Whedon had a fling with and it didn't end too well and there was a lot of weirdness involved. Her going off to Angel, which Whedon wasn't as involved with on the day-to-day, supports that and then the strange way she was treated the second she became pregnant IRL and was then manoeuvred off the show.

2 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

God help me, what recent Whedon revelations?

To clarify, has there been more other then the he cheated on his wife and maybe wrote that letter thing?

No, that's still the most recent thing.

Archived