Why did Robert bring Cersei and Tyrion to Winterfell?

shameeka

In GoT, why did Robert Baratheon bring his entire family when he came to Winterfell to ask Ned Stark to become his Hand? I kind of understand why he would bring Joffrey along if he is going to be Sansa's betrothed, but I would think that Tommen and Myrcella are too young to travel and their presence is not really necessary. I also wonder why he brought along Cersei and her brothers. The Lannisters are not the royal family. They don't have any obligation to tag along. I can't imagine Cersei wanting to follow Robert to the dreary North, and Robert really wouldn't care if Cersei stays in Red Keep or not. Jaime would go with Cersei, but why would Tyrion come with them?

if you remember, Ned actually wanted to say no.  Knowing Ned as well as he did, he thought that bringing the entire court could impress upon Ned how serious he was that Ned be the hand (if you dont want to come and do the job, ill bring it to you) , and thus appeal to Neds honour

18 minutes ago, SurfKook said:

if you remember, Ned actually wanted to say no.  Knowing Ned as well as he did, he thought that bringing the entire court could impress upon Ned how serious he was that Ned be the hand (if you dont want to come and do the job, ill bring it to you) , and thus appeal to Neds honour

I agree Roberts plan was to basically force Ned into the position, it takes a lot of time and money for the Royal court to travel all the way up North and to say no would be a great dishonour towards Robert. 

4 hours ago, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Cersei wasn't going to let Robert take her Joff and other children anywhere without her coming along.

:agree:Cersei needed to make certain that Sansa wasn't the YMBQ, so she tagged along.

There is also the small matter of plot convenience

The king had never been north, which in hindsight given progresses made by other kings was woefully ignorant as well as Ned not inviting nor northern lords. There are more than just a few things amiss with that feast, more to do with lack of hindsight than crackpot theory.

4 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

I agree Roberts plan was to basically force Ned into the position, it takes a lot of time and money for the Royal court to travel all the way up North and to say no would be a great dishonour towards Robert. 

I'm with @Stormking902 and @SurfKook in this regard, but I think it's also just a reflection of Robert's overall wastefulness. Was there some strategy involved in making Ned say 'yes'? Sure there was. But also, he's a king, and one known to live in excess. Of course, if he's making a multi-week trip, he's going to full supporting retinue to provide all the comforts reasonably available to him.

As for his family, I would argue that by and large Robert considered Cersei and the kids to be possessions. The whole thing was a big mobile party, and he probably didn't consider at any point whether Cersei and the kids 'wanted' to go, or if it was best for them. It was good for King Robert, so that was that. I doubt he gave them much more consideration than the wine casks he brought with him.

I think everyone is looking too deep into this.  It is a month long journey to Winterfell.  The King had not been to the North, or at least he had not been there in many years, and Cersie had never been there.  So considering he would be away from KL for at least 3 months, the logical reason might be he did not want to be without his family that long.   he might also be thinking that it would be nice for the people to see the entire royal family, and it would be a good adventure for his kids.

On 7/21/2018 at 1:11 PM, Mathias said:

EI'm with @Stormking902 and @SurfKook in this regard, but I think it's also just a reflection of Robert's overall wastefulness. Was there some strategy involved in making Ned say 'yes'? Sure there was. But also, he's a king, and one known to live in excess. Of course, if he's making a multi-week trip, he's going to full supporting retinue to provide all the comforts reasonably available to him.

As for his family, I would argue that by and large Robert considered Cersei and the kids to be possessions. The whole thing was a big mobile party, and he probably didn't consider at any point whether Cersei and the kids 'wanted' to go, or if it was best for them. It was good for King Robert, so that was that. I doubt he gave them much more consideration than the wine casks he brought with him.

Agree. He even took his Valyrian Steel dining set along even though he never uses it even in the south. It's no wonder some Lyseni looking horse smelling guy ended up with a piece of it. 

Archived