What amounts to kin when it comes to kinslaying?

Angel Eyes

So who is considered kin when kinslaying comes into play? Are there degrees of kinslaying that are more abhorrent than others? Are there parts of one's family that it is okay to kill, i.e. Robert killing his cousin Rhaegar? Are spouses considered kin?

It’s in the eye of the beholder. Rickard Karstark tried to call Robb a kinslayer but nobody else labelled him as one IIRC.

In some cases it’s very clear-cut kinslaying, but it gets shady when it comes to second cousins and whatnot.

40 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

So who is considered kin when kinslaying comes into play? Are there degrees of kinslaying that are more abhorrent than others? Are there parts of one's family that it is okay to kill, i.e. Robert killing his cousin Rhaegar? Are spouses considered kin?

Spouces are not considered kin as Victarion does not consider himself a kinslayer. He does consider if you hire someone to slay your kin, does it count? Rhaegar was closer to blood with Robert then Robb and Karstark, so I guess.

Kinslaying is like guest rights. Its only cursed in the eyes of men. Because gods arent real

@Angel Eyes this may answer some of your questions. Maybe :dunno:
Kinslaying in Westeros

Q: A ton of us Boarders have been debating the taboo against kinslaying in Westeros, and have been trying to define exactly what "kinslaying" is. Is it limited only to the situation where you kill a kinsman by your own hand, or would it include anything that leads to the death of a kinsman? In other words, had Renly's army defeated Stannis', and Stannis died in the battle at the hands of Loras Tyrell, would Renly still be considered a "kinslayer"?

GRRM: Maybe by some, but that's a stretch.

There are degrees in kinslaying, as in anything else. Fighting a battle in which a brother dies might be frowned upon, but killing him with your own hand would be considered far worse.

In the scenario you propose, another factor might be whether Renly gave any orders in respect to Stannis. Did he command Loras to kill him, or offer a reward to whosoever slew his brother? Did he tell his men to see that his brother was taken alive? Did he not address the issue either way? There are obvious degrees of guilt, depending...

The other factor, which you haven't raised, is degree of kinship. Killing a parent is probably worse than killing a sibling, but either one is a lot worse than killing a distant cousin. Lord Karstark was stretching that aspect of it when he tried to accuse Robb of kinslaying... but of course he was hoping to save his head.

4 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Are spouses considered kin?

Maybe? But one thing is for sure, kin should never be considered spouses ;)

4 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Spouces are not considered kin as Victarion does not consider himself a kinslayer. He does consider if you hire someone to slay your kin, does it count? Rhaegar was closer to blood with Robert then Robb and Karstark, so I guess.

Kinslaying is like guest rights. Its only cursed in the eyes of men. Because gods arent real

It depends. Walder Frey is called one for the RW, because his wife was a Blackwood.

5 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

So who is considered kin when kinslaying comes into play?

I'm gonna venture to say --- mother, father, brother , sister.

What is the curiosity?

A Feast for Crows - Jaime I   He never said he meant to kill our father. If he had, I would have stopped him. Then I would be the kinslayer, not him.

13 hours ago, JaneSnow said:

What about killing a step-parent or a ward

Theon is considered by many to be a Kinslayer for the murder of Bran and Rickon. 

Farther on, he came upon a man striding in the opposite direction, a hooded cloak flapping behind him. When they found themselves face-to-face their eyes met briefly. The man put a hand on his dagger. "Theon Turncloak. Theon Kinslayer." ADwD, A Ghost in Winterfell

"Not us." Rowan grabbed him by the throat and shoved him back against the barracks wall, her face an inch from his. "Say it again and I will rip your lying tongue out, kinslayer." ADwD, Theon I

So it seems to apply to foster siblings like that. 

Kinslaying IMO is for sure Brother, Mother, Sister, Brother, Aunt, Uncle, and first cousins. 

Robert is technically a kinslayer but they were on opposite sides in a war and one was killed in FAIR combat, both men had an even chance to kill the other so its one of those situational times GRRM was talking about. Noone expected either man to just allow the other to kill them lol. 

22 hours ago, Stormking902 said:

Kinslaying IMO is for sure Brother, Mother, Sister, Brother, Aunt, Uncle, and first cousins. 

Robert is technically a kinslayer but they were on opposite sides in a war and one was killed in FAIR combat, both men had an even chance to kill the other so its one of those situational times GRRM was talking about. Noone expected either man to just allow the other to kill them lol. 

And nobody batted an eye at killing their relatives in the Dance of the Dragons.

14 hours ago, JaneSnow said:

I suppose one advantage to Sansa marrying Tyrion would be that it made her his aunt therefore if he killed her it would be kingslaying. Not like he'd be opposed to such an act but the public would be.

Wut

15 hours ago, JaneSnow said:

I suppose one advantage to Sansa marrying Tyrion would be that it made her his aunt therefore if he killed her it would be kingslaying. Not like he'd be opposed to such an act but the public would be.

What do you mean?

1 hour ago, Leonardo said:

Wut

13 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

What do you mean?

My guess is she means Sansa-technically she was Joffrey's aunt.

Btw @Angel Eyes, I wondered about this too. I once opened a thread questioning whether Tywin's approval of Robb's murder was kinslaying or not (exactly because of Sansa-Tyrion marriage). Almost every member was on opinion that it wasn't, since non-blood relations are not considered kinslaying. 

But if it wasn't the war, and it was a regular wedding between Sansa/Tyrion, and if Robb, Tyrion's brother-in-law and brother of Tywin's daughter-in-law (gooddaughter), would've been murdered on the orders of the latter's father (for whatever reason), I think the society would've seen it differently, although probably not as harsh as kinslaying.    

Archived