Stannis lordship of Dragonstone and his Vassals.

In your most personal opinion, how great of a ruler was Stannis Baratheon with his lordship of Dragonstone and his Vassals? When comparing the Lordship of Dragonstone to other other high-tier bannermen of the realm, such as the Freys, Boltons, Redwynes, Florents, and others, I found him rather lacking, I would even go as far to say he was a poor ruler.

We have no idea how he ruled for the 15 years before the books started. From what we do see, however, we can deduce he would be rather inflexible.

As to his rulership during the course of the books, there are a few faults, yes. His religious intolerance and persecution of the followers of the Seven was a bit harsh (considering he doesn't seem to be a hardcore R'hllorian), and his failure to comprehend the betrayal of Celtigar and his men (though Davos quickly corrects this).

Forgive me, but wasn't Stannis mostly occupied in King's Landing on Robert's Small Council? I think that the question we should ask, how well did his castellan rule Dragonstone. And given that his small band of bannermen seems willing to follow Stannis into certain "suicide by Renly" I think its fairly sure that Stannis, or his castellan, ruled pretty well.

6 minutes ago, LionoftheWest said:

Forgive me, but wasn't Stannis mostly occupied in King's Landing on Robert's Small Council? I think that the question we should ask, how well did his castellan rule Dragonstone. And given that his small band of bannermen seems willing to follow Stannis into certain "suicide by Renly" I think its fairly sure that Stannis, or his castellan, ruled pretty well.

His castellan was Ser Axell Florent, so I'd put a question mark to his abilities. But one assumes that Selyse also had a rather strong voice in the day-to-day management of Dragonstone, so it might not have been that bad.

Still, Stannis himself wouldn't have much to do with that - although it may be that he spent more time on Dragonstone in the early years, just after he had taken the island in Robert's name. The fact that he build Robert's fleet to take the island as well as that he commanded the fleets during the Greyjoy Rebellion implies he was named Master of Ships immediately after Robert's ascension.

58 minutes ago, LionoftheWest said:

LOL exactly 

On 7/23/2018 at 8:49 PM, LionoftheWest said:

Don't forget these bannermen were sworn enemies just 15 years ago, most diehard loyal cadre of dragon men there is and Stannis made them loyal to him. People are willingly charging into certain death screaming his name, a privilege few others have(so far Robb, Tyrion and Danaerys) If this isn't ruling good I don't know what is.

Archived