The Family Traditions of House Bolton (Theory)

rooses white eyes could be an indicator for the boltons having an hereditary disease, which kills many of their children.

also is suspect the boltons to act like some english noble families did, marrying their cousins, which would lead to a very small feudal family. (for harry potter fans; thats also the reason why ther is only one descendant of salazar slytherin)

14 hours ago, Euron Lannister said:

rooses white eyes could be an indicator for the boltons having an hereditary disease, which kills many of their children.

also is suspect the boltons to act like some english noble families did, marrying their cousins, which would lead to a very small feudal family. (for harry potter fans; thats also the reason why ther is only one descendant of salazar slytherin)

Ocular albinism (which is what Roose probably has, if he isn't an immortal vampire) is caused by an X-linked gene. Roose would have got the condition from his mother. Now, if you're correct and the Boltons marry their cousins, this would make sense, as Roose would get his distinctive eyes from a pale-eyed Bolton mother. Perhaps his mysterious first wife was a fellow Bolton.

That being said, we hear of no cousins or uncles - and the Boltons weren't operating a one-heir-only system, having male uncles and cousins would be unavoidable. If they could be trusted, Roose would have them by his side (or name one of them instead of Ramsay as castellan of the Dreadfort). If they could not be trusted, I think they would still have come up in conversation. It's also worth noting that if Roose has uncles or cousins, he doesn't need Ramsay for an heir - he could just use one of them.

• 6 months later...
On 7/28/2018 at 12:35 PM, John Suburbs said:

Well, yes. All he needs is one son that he can switch into who will then become the next lord of whatever house he happens to be occupying at the moment. And if something were to happen to that son before the switch can be made, no big deal; Roose has plenty of time to make another.

I know it sounds crazy, but I think it's the only answer that ticks all the boxes about Roose. Remember the story of Brandon Ice-Eyes? That was probably Roose.

but his political planning makes no sense. as Brandon ice eyes he helps the manderlys so much that they are now eternally loyal to house stark. than as roose he sacks winterfell and forces the manderlys, [who as ice eyes he made loyal to the house he just destroyed] to serve him as a bolton when if he wants winterfell he could just switch into a stark to get it. no way a 10,000 year old is this dumb.

6 hours ago, silversnake33 said:

but his political planning makes no sense. as Brandon ice eyes he helps the manderlys so much that they are now eternally loyal to house stark. than as roose he sacks winterfell and forces the manderlys, [who as ice eyes he made loyal to the house he just destroyed] to serve him as a bolton when if he wants winterfell he could just switch into a stark to get it. no way a 10,000 year old is this dumb.

Remember, this is all a game to Roose. He plays with men the way men play with dice. He doesn't care about Winterfell or the Manderlys any more than Ned cares about Come-into-my-Castle.

I think we are judging a whole clan using only the worst two individuals (Ramsay and Roose). Families in Westeros aren't like races in Middle Earth (good elves, bad orcs). They are all human beings. Domeric Bolton was a decent being and Barbra Bolton begged king Aegon III to feed his people.

Low fertility is the best explanation.  And who really knows how many bastards the Bolton men have had during the centuries.  Bastards don't count but the Bolton DNA is all over the north. 

There is bad blood between the Boltons and the Starks.  It's not surprising they don't marry.  The Boltons probably knew about skin changers in the past and forbade their children from marrying people who they saw as animals.  They skinned Stark prisoners like game animals.  That's how this tradition started.  I don't assume the kings of winter were any kinder to their Bolton prisoners.  Hate goes deep.

We know that 2 Red kings (Royce II and IV) sacked Winterfell, so I assume that both times most adult male Starks of ruling branch died. So I assume that next lord of WF either was distant male relative of previous king of winter or married surviving female relative and gained his tittle as her husband. It is even possible that new lord of WF was male relative of victorious RK.

Another thing is that there were many wars between WF and Dreadfort and one way to make peace was a marriage. So it is possible that Boltons and Starks were very close relatives. In fact it is possible that finally victorious Starks were just Boltons who had chanced their  name as Starks and won wars against their kinsmen in Dreadfort. For instance that king who was called Ice Eyes could have inherited his eyes from victorious Red Kings.

I guess now that we’ve met Barba Bolton it looks like the Boltons aren’t operating a one heir per generation system, unless Barba became the Lady of the Dreadfort and Roose is able to give birth. 

I also think it’s more likely Brandon Ice-Eyes had a Bolton mother if there is any connection there at all. 

I don't buy into the 1 heir theory.  I think it's as simple as Roose thought he had a promising heir, so just wasn't very interested in re-marrying, or was holding out on another marriage until it could prove more advantageous to him.  For all we know, he could have other bastards he doesn't know about or acknowledge.  

• 4 weeks later...

Archived