Do you think Balon got off too light?

Varysblackfyre321

Balon got off very easy.

When Balon says that no Greyjoy sworn a vow to a Baratheon, he is also wrong, His father died fighting in the name of Robert during the rebellion. He also only joined the Rebelion after the Trident where Robert already made clear and public his intentions to take the throne.

Robert should have named other Ironborn house to replace the Greyjoys and Lord Paramont of the Iron islands, kill Balon, and let Victarion Aeron and Euron take the black or die. Theon becomes Lord of pyke and he togheter with Asha would be fostered by Ned or other loyal bannerman.

15 hours ago, LionoftheWest said:

I suppose you may be right. I'm actually sure you're wrong though and that Euron was exiled during the Greyjoy Rebellion, hence why Victarion leads the Iron Fleet into Stannis' ambush while the clever Euron planned the strike at Lannisport at the start. As well as the mentioning struck in my head that Euron is the only kraken who has never known defeat.

But I will freely admit that I can't find the quotes to back this up and so that's it.

It was two years as of ACOK:

Theon shifted his seat. "My uncle Euron has not been seen in the islands for close on two years. He may be dead." If so, it might be for the best. Lord Balon's eldest brother had never given up the Old Way, even for a day. His Silence, with its black sails and dark red hull, was infamous in every port from Ibben to Asshai, it was said.

On 7/23/2018 at 6:22 PM, Stormking902 said:

Man did you read the books at all? 

1) (spoliers)...................Robert dies and then Balon again crowns himself king of the Iron islands, he waited for Roberts death and for the Baratheon brothers and Lannisters to fight over the I.T Before he crowned himself again. I said he physically bent the knee to ROBERT, please read to acheive.

2) Theon idolized Ned and deep down wanted to be a Stark and a child of the Neds. When he spoke out its because he was being a child and realising he is a Greyjoy and never will be a Stark to his sadness. Where in the books does he dispise Ned?.

3) I said one would assume......... How is Robert suppose to know Balons son is pretty much worthless to him? Most men would want to keep there last remaining son and heir safe no? AGAIN please read 

4) BUT IT DID actually.............

5) exactly mt point thank you when Robert dies ....... God some people's kids. 

I did.

1. Yes he physically btk, you said this would make him look weak in front of the IB and may not sway them, in fact he was their king

2.  Lord Eddard had tried to play the father from time to time, but to Theon he had always remained the man who’d brought blood and fire to Pyke and taken him from his home. As a boy, he had lived in fear of Stark’s stern face and great dark sword. His wife was, if anything, even more distant and suspicious

3. Maybe logical, but not what happened

4. It was big enough to conquer the north, attack Tyrell and attempt a capture on Dany 

5. Robert did not help dynasty Bartheon in keeping Balon peaceful

18 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

Even before Robert, it seems like the Ironborn rise up to raid periodically. Since they've been militarily outmatched since Aegon's conquest, I find it odd that they hadn't already been so thoroughly crushed that their conquerors came to be nostalgic for them.

I was under the impression the raids were relatively minor(you know taking over a ship here or there), not serious enough to actually be worth destroying and reshaping an entire province.

5 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I was under the impression the raids were relatively minor(you know taking over a ship here or there), not serious enough to actually be worth destroying and reshaping an entire province.

Dagon Greyjoy raided all along the coast, which made people very angry at the Iron Throne (Aerys I, letting Bloodraven do the actual ruling).

3 hours ago, FictionIsntReal said:

Dagon Greyjoy raided all along the coast, which made people very angry at the Iron Throne (Aerys I, letting Bloodraven do the actual ruling).

Dagon was deviation. 2 centuries before him, under Targyen rule the Ironborn aren't puported to have done anything close to what Dagon did. It wasn't until over a half a century later did they do something anywhere near extreme again.  Typically the Ironborn tow the line. 

22 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Dagon was deviation. 2 centuries before him, under Targyen rule the Ironborn aren't puported to have done anything close to what Dagon did. It wasn't until over a half a century later did they do something anywhere near extreme again.  Typically the Ironborn tow the line. 

Dalton Greyjoy also raided along the coast during the Dance of the Dragons. At the end of the war Aegon III ordered him to stop, but he refused until he was murdered.

• 2 months later...
On 7/25/2018 at 3:57 PM, Arthur Peres said:

Balon got off very easy.

When Balon says that no Greyjoy sworn a vow to a Baratheon, he is also wrong, His father died fighting in the name of Robert during the rebellion. He also only joined the Rebelion after the Trident where Robert already made clear and public his intentions to take the throne.

Robert should have named other Ironborn house to replace the Greyjoys and Lord Paramont of the Iron islands, kill Balon, and let Victarion Aeron and Euron take the black or die. Theon becomes Lord of pyke and he togheter with Asha would be fostered by Ned or other loyal bannerman.

Your proposition seems pretty extreme. Who would/could  even be seen as  a better fit than Greyjoys?

Did Balon get off too easy?  Yes and no.

On the yes side, he kept his head and remained Lord Paramount of the Iron Islands.

On the no side, he took a beating that saw his two eldest sons killed and his remaining son a hostage.

As for leaving Balon alive and in power, it wasn't necessarily a bad move.  If, and I'm sensing Jon Arryn's influence here, the victors realized that removing Balon's head and destabilizing the region would cause more problems than letting him live and stay in power.

He should have been given the usual rebel treatment; take away 9/10 of their lands and revoke their  lord title.

Since Balon is a LP, the LP should have been granted to some other house that is not powerful but not too weak either and Balon's lands should then be distributed among nearby houses or even given to newly raised ones and finally his title being passed over to a brother or cousin. For raising new lords, giving prominent captains land and marriages (of IB stock) is a good way.

17 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Your proposition seems pretty extreme. Who would/could  even be seen as  a better fit than Greyjoys?

Anyone. as the Ironborn themselfs tell us. After beating Balon Robert could give power to another house and they would be more greatful to him. Balon only resented him.

“Where is it written that our king must be a kraken?” Drumm began. “What right has Pyke to rule us? Great Wyk is the largest isle, Harlaw the richest, Old Wyk the most holy. When the black line was consumed by dragonfire, the ironborn gave the primacy to Vickon Greyjoy, aye... but as lord, not king.”

Archived