UK Politics: This Country is Going to the Moggs

Werthead

9 hours ago, lacuna said:

Dara O'Brien is probably the closest. Comedy chops, experience presenting, nerd cred...

O'Briain would have been a good choice in the role, although he might have been too busy with other presenting work.

Alexander Armstrong could have been another alternative if they wanted a similar profile to Fry.

That said, I think Toksvig does a fine job presenting QI, as Mormont says they don't really need to rely on a big name

53 minutes ago, williamjm said:

O'Briain would have been a good choice in the role, although he might have been too busy with other presenting work.

Alexander Armstrong could have been another alternative if they wanted a similar profile to Fry.

That said, I think Toksvig does a fine job presenting QI, as Mormont says they don't really need to rely on a big name

Armstrong has the same problem as O’Briain though, in that his schedule is pretty full with Pointless 

15 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

That goes then down to Toksvig (or rather her management) that she accepted those terms. Maybe she should've walked away from the negotiation and voiced her complaints about it. But again, the comparission she (and you) made were not with the team captains, but with Fry.

The headlines have focused on the comparison with Fry: but Toksvig's original comments gave equal weight to the comparison with Davies, and my posts have given even more weight to that, plus a hypothetical male successor. 

So I don't think you've really read my posts or the original article very closely, which is a shame.

14 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

From what I know of Ruth Davidson I’d certainly vote for her over Boris, Theresa May or JRM.

Davidson has good optics: she's a minority (lesbian), not a raving mad public schoolboy with no experience of the real world, and is relatively unknown so has no big strikes against her.

She would undoubtedly be better than most of the other candidates, but so would an elderly wombat in a suit. She would not be a good PM. 

ETA - I hope everyone is breathless with anticipation to hear the brilliant solution that the ERG have worked out to the Irish border issue? We should find out in a few hours how Rees-Mogg and Johnson propose to fix this! 

I'm guessing it will involve the EU and Ireland basically giving us everything we want for nothing. 

Yeah, I was wrong. I overestimated the ERG. Instead of 'this is the EU's problem, they can sort it out and while they're at it they can bring us another pint', the ERG's approach to the Irish border problem is another variant on 'there's no problem here, this is fine'. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45495960

4 hours ago, mormont said:

ETA - I hope everyone is breathless with anticipation to hear the brilliant solution that the ERG have worked out to the Irish border issue? We should find out in a few hours how Rees-Mogg and Johnson propose to fix this! 

I'm guessing it will involve the EU and Ireland basically giving us everything we want for nothing. 

yeah, it's just max-fac vomit swallowed and vomited out again, 
had a glance through the document, more trust-a-trader nonsense and promises of how it'll all be fine and magically technology will solve it all. 

how the ERG have any credibility i just do not understand

7 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

That was fucking despicable, I can't fucking stand JRM but nobody should attack his kids. Except other kids taking the piss out of their names. 

If you quoted a lot of what that stupid old twat said out of context, I would have thought it was a child bullying someone, which tells you everything.

This guy is a real useful idiot for the Tories, anyway, great propaganda, exactly how they want to depict the left wing. 

In one of the less-edifying political displays of recent months, Tory MEPs voted against a censure motion against Hungary's increasingly repressive and dictatorial government at the EU Parliament, mysteriously just before Hungary started saying that the UK should get a fair Brexit deal. The motion was passed anyway (at one point it looked a lot narrower, but it ended up being a landslide against the Hungarian position), leaving a mad, face-saving scramble with party reps saying the Prime Minister didn't know how they were going to vote (the other one indeed, if pulled, has bells on it).

Looks like our  morality and ethics are now for sale to the highest bidder. To some extent that was true before Brexit, of course, but this was a more naked and brazen display of it.

12 hours ago, mormont said:

Davidson has good optics: she's a minority (lesbian), not a raving mad public schoolboy with no experience of the real world, and is relatively unknown so has no big strikes against her.

She would undoubtedly be better than most of the other candidates, but so would an elderly wombat in a suit. She would not be a good PM. 

I’m not saying she would be a great PM, just that,to me anyway she’d be preferable to either May or Corbyn, by a fair margin.

I think the most despairing thing is, how bad are the current crop of politicians-from both main parties in that you’re right-an elderly wombat in a suit would be preferable to all of them.

38 minutes ago, Lord Sidious said:

I’m not saying she would be a great PM, just that,to me anyway she’d be preferable to either May or Corbyn, by a fair margin.

I think the most despairing thing is, how bad are the current crop of politicians-from both main parties in that you’re right-an elderly wombat in a suit would be preferable to all of them.

Politics in the UK currently reminds me of the episode of the New Statesman where all the parties were deliberately trying to lose an election due to some upcoming crisis they didn't want to be in charge of.  Even Michael Foot or IDS could probably run their parties better than the current shower of shite.

10 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

May, perhaps. As previous posts on this thread will attest, I'm no fan of Corbyn, but I can see no realistic way in which Ruth Davidson would do a better job of running the country. 

17 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Politics in the UK currently reminds me of the episode of the New Statesman where all the parties were deliberately trying to lose an election due to some upcoming crisis they didn't want to be in charge of.  Even Michael Foot or IDS could probably run their parties better than the current shower of shite.

I have to admit I’ve not seen The New Statesman, but it does sound very accurate to the current position of the main U.K. parties!.

7 hours ago, mormont said:

May, perhaps. As previous posts on this thread will attest, I'm no fan of Corbyn, but I can see no realistic way in which Ruth Davidson would do a better job of running the country. 

She seems a better prospect than either to me, my political stance is quite centerist, perhaps slightly on the right so a pro European, moderate Tory isn’t a horrible prospect to me, that said I’d be quite content with a centre left Labour government too.

Who would you favour being in charge?.

I’ve heard people say they’d like David Milliband to return to politics, which in my mind, wouldn’t be a terrible thing.

16 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

She seems a better prospect than either to me, my political stance is quite centerist, perhaps slightly on the right so a pro European, moderate Tory isn’t a horrible prospect to me, that said I’d be quite content with a centre left Labour government too.

Who would you favour being in charge?.

I'd favour being in Europe and out of the UK, so my opinions on who should be PM of the UK are coloured by that. But the current crop of party leaders are probably the worst I've seen in my lifetime. May has no perceptible ambitions or principles beyond surviving the week. Corbyn is prickly, divisive and too willing to cast blame instead of lead. Every Lib Dem I know yearned for Vince Cable to be leader and now he is, he's led the party into total obscurity. The Labour and Tory front benches are not appointed on talent but on factional politics, so I don't see any prospects there. 

Basically, politics in this country is in a bigger mess than I have ever seen it in my lifetime. I'm just glad that at least we get some protection from the worst of it here in Scotland. 

Archived