Football: 3rd Season Meltdown

Consigliere

How are the Everton fans here feeling about their summer?

Pushing out Rooney, Klaassen, Williams, Mirallas and Funes Mori was a decent start to clear some deadwood.  Adding Digne is a good back up to Baines, who has played about as long as Milner.  Richarlison adds some attacking pace and oomph instead of another slow-paced #10, but does that mean Bolasie is on the bench?  I thought Bolasie was your best player when fit.  I assume Walcott will stay on the right wing.  It seems like you need another CB sharpish, even if Keane does improve over last year.  Mina, Rojo and others have been linked.  And who partners Gueye in MF?  Davies?  Schneiderlin?  Siggurdsson has to be the #10 role, whatever the actual formation.

I am somewhat curious what Everton will do with Lookman. Leipzig are interested in signing him on a permanent deal, and have apparently made a third bid for him, this time it's rumoredly around 20m €, which is supposedly Everton's asking price.

On the funnier side of things.

The H$V started his first ever Bundesliga 2 campaign. They are heavy favorites to win back promotion, and well they are off to a promising start with 0-3 loss at home to Kiel. And Kiel are in the beginning of a rebuild after they lost a lot of their players from their surprise season.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Firmino's starting for Liverpool in Dublin so you'd think he's probably going to be fit to start next week too.

He was a bit off the pace, as was Trent, but that’s to be expected in their first preseason appearance.  I wonder if Klopp will want them to catch up on a full preseason of training before they play competitively, to help avoid injuries mid season. Fortunately Shaqiri and Sturridge both looked sharp in the second half too.

Another good preseason showing by Liverpool.  Keita, Gini and Clyne all started after missing games lately, so Klopp is really trying to make sure everyone gets minutes and is fully prepared.  We played Napoli off the park without any excessive exertion.  Koulibaly kept the scoreline down to only 5-0, assisted by a linesman with two terrible offside calls.

The new signings all look very good already, the WC absences and late returns aren’t hurting us too badly, but our back four will be makeshift for a few more weeks.  Overall a solid preseason for the group considering the commercial commitments in the US (better than Asia at least) and the WC.  Now just one last friendly against Torino on Tuesday evening to get a bit more match sharpness without tiring anyone out or risking any injuries. 

Edit: if the worst thing today was Bobby’s haircut, then not a bad outing. 

4 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

He was a bit off the pace, as was Trent, but that’s to be expected in their first preseason appearance.  I wonder if Klopp will want them to catch up on a full preseason of training before they play competitively, to help avoid injuries mid season. Fortunately Shaqiri and Sturridge both looked sharp in the second half too.

Nope, they will play early on. Usually it's around mid-late november early december when fatigue kicks in with the guys that have played a major tournament in the off-season. Given that EPL has a more cruelling schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool will look kinda flat in november.

Walker, Stones and Mendy all start for City in the Community Shield which is a bit of a boost for them going into the start of the league.

Chelsea don't look too flash so far although, in fairness, it'll probably take them a while to adapt to a fairly drastic change in style.

Quite the start to Bielsa’s reign at Leeds. They have been all over Stoke, who have kept the vast majority of the side that were too good on paper to go down, and are a goal up after 15. Then again his Lille side thrashed Nantes 3-0 on opening day last year and that turned into a disaster.

Pretty comfortable win for City. It's going to take some time for Sarri to implement his playing style which is very different to what the Chelsea players have been accustomed to. Chelsea kept possession well but their passing was too slow with a lot of backwards and sideways stuff and not nearly as slick or incisive as City's. It took Guardiola a season to really stamp his style on City (accompanied by huge spending as well) and I'd expect something similar will be needed for Chelsea. Probably not going to see the best of Sarri-ball until next season. 

Archived